The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 21, 2008, 01:35 PM   #26
CraigC

Personally, I would avoid the head shot. Even the cows have horns and the skull makes for a great trophy.
Old August 21, 2008, 02:48 PM   #27
taylorce1

Quote:
Your 30-06 will put a 220 gr Sako Hammerhead into the front chest of a blue wildebeest and it goes through all the way and sticks into the spine, right at the tail. Seen it from my own rifle.

The 8x57 and 175 gr may not penetrate that same distance due to its lesser sectional density, but as the bullet weight goes up, and because the velocity is less and then lesser expansion it shall penetrate sufficiently, adequately, reaching the vitals even if the shot has to go through a shoulder. No problem with 220 gr on the old 8mm. It just loves it. Seen it from my buddy's old 8x57
I wasn't saying that the 220 grain wouldn't work just stating what it said in my manual. I'll probably try some 220 grain when I get a chance out of my 8mm-06 right now I'm still working with the 175 grain Sierra bullets for deer and elk. If I can get this bullet to shoot I may not try anything heavier as I got plenty of rifles for buffalo like my .375 Ruger with 300 grain Nosler Partitions!
Old August 22, 2008, 06:16 AM   #28
Jack O'Conner

I hunted bison in Harding County, S. Dakota. Site was sprawling Catron Ranch near tiny town of Camp Crook.

It took me about an hour to stalk and creep within 100 yards or so. My .308 was loaded with 150 grain Winchester Fail Safe ammo. One shot to butt of the ear dropped the animal where it stood. The legs just folded up at the shot.

- I sold the mounted head to a steak house in Ohio.

- I had the hide tanned and painted by Lakota Sioux artist and sold it on consignment in Rapid City.

- Add up the costs and gains = free hunt plus free meat!

Jack