The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 10, 2008, 05:54 AM   #1
redfin23

Please help, 7 Mag, or 7 Ultra Mag

I hunt deer in Mexico. I own a Browning A Bolt 7 Mag. I want my deer to fall down dead, right now, in two pieces.

I have been considering a 300.

A friend of mine says save the money and go to the 7 Ultra Mag.

I would love your thoughts, experiences, on this.

Also , what bullet would you reccomend I use.

Thanks, Chaz
Old August 10, 2008, 07:30 AM   #2
bcarver

question

7 Mag? remington or weatherby
300? savage,H&H magnum, Winchester magnum or weatherby magnum.
Old August 10, 2008, 07:47 AM   #3
bcarver

next step

I would look at the .378 weatherby magnum as the next step up in power.
Anything else will be hardly noticeable.
How far are these deer running when shot with the 7 Mag?
If it less than 80 yards you are going to have to start breaking bones or spinal cords to drop them any faster. A deer can run that far with both lungs and a heart blow to bits.
Old August 10, 2008, 08:54 AM   #4
JP Sarte

If you are set on a 7mm magnum I would avoid Remington at all costs. See my other posts on TFL regarding them.

JP
Old August 10, 2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Inside of 400 yards, a proper hit from a 7mm08 will kill just as dead as anything else. So will most other typical deer cartridges. I say 400 yards because for most shooters, that's the outer limit of "proper hit".

I see no point in using anything of more potency than the 7mm Rem Mag with the common load of a 140-grain bullet.

Sighted in for two inches high at 100 means zero at around 225 yards. Then, about five-ish inches low around 300 and roughly 18" low at 400. And at 400 yards, it doesn't take much wind to get a foot of deflection...
Old August 10, 2008, 11:53 AM   #6
ojibweindian

Again, as per my other post, in another topic that you started, save your money and use what you already have.
Old August 10, 2008, 01:11 PM   #7
bill k

Save your shoulder and stay with the 7 mag. My prefered load is 62g's of IMR 4831, 160g sierra game king, CCI 250 primer.

Then go up to the downed deer and cut it in half with a chain saw if that's really the effect you want.
Old August 10, 2008, 04:16 PM   #8
HOGGHEAD

Drop Dead

I need the deer I hunt to drop in their tracks the same way you do. I am a handicapped person and if a deer can travel a short distance after I shoot it then that little bit of distance can cause a lot of problems for me.

My go to "drop em dead" bullet is the Sierra 200 grain 30 caliber bullet. I put the crosshairs directly on the front shoulder, and "POOF" the deer or anything else drops dead in their tracks. I realize I have meat loss, but I can not help it. I need the deer to drop where I shoot it.

If I were to shoot a 7mm(which I have), then i would go with the 175 grain bullet.

I also would not go with the heavier constructed amd more expensive bullet The 200 grain Sierra will do it all, for a lot less money.

I have heard all the stories about "Dead is dead", but I do not believe that. I want to put them strtaight down, and nothing does it like a 30 caliber. The 7mm caliber is close, but it is no 30 caliber. But then my fun gun is a 45-70 with a 405 grain bullet. That "drops em dead" also. Tom.
Old August 10, 2008, 04:24 PM   #9
chuckscap

If your deer aren't dropping like stones now with a 7mm Mag, my guess is you're using too stout a bullet. Try the Sierra Game King, they're very accurate and are dynamite on deer. The 150g should work very well at 3000 fps, I think the 160g or heavier bullets will not help your problem. I think the Game Kings are a bit too fragile on elk if you have to do a shoulder shot (front quartering shot) though I have friends that swear by them in the 7mm Mag. Here's a link ...

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.c...c&bullettype=0

I've had no trouble dropping deer in their tracks at 400 yards with a 270 shooting a 130g Nosler at 3150 fps, even a 7mm Mag seems like overkill to me ...

Just my two cents,
Old August 10, 2008, 11:59 PM   #10
Scope Bite

The 'Mags' just waste powder and beat your shoulder harder.

Why not 7x57mm or 7mm-08?
Old August 11, 2008, 07:11 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I see no point in using anything of more potency than the 7mm Rem Mag with the common load of a 140-grain bullet.
Keep what you've got. That 7mm Rem Mag will do the job just the same as the Ultra or 300.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:03 PM   #12
redfin23

O.k. Thanks Guys, I New I Had Come To The Right Place To Get Good Answers. Yes It A Remington 7 Mag. I Guess My Question Really Should Be Is :

What Would I Gain By Having It Bored To The 7 Ultra Mag.

I Think I Know The Answer Now And Save My $125.00 And Just Keep Shooting My Rifle As Is And Not Get It Bored To The Ultra.

I Have Not Lost Any Deer Yet, But If A He Gets Out Into That Deep Thick Stuff I Don't Want To Lose Him.

I Want To Thank All Of You For Bringing Me Back To My Senses,

Regards, Chaz
Old August 12, 2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Doyle

Before you consider the 7 RUM, take a look at ammo prices. It will drive you to the 7mm mag quickly unless you absolutely have to have that extra 50 yds of effective range.
Old August 13, 2008, 04:11 AM   #14
butta9999

ha ha ha h a .378 weatherby, that thing is a cannon do you have elephants in America. Stick with the 7mm mag its a fine rifle.
Old August 13, 2008, 06:33 AM   #15
22-rimfire

Stick with what you have. You don't need anything more powerful for deer sized game. If anything, go smaller for less recoil.
Old August 13, 2008, 09:54 PM   #16
Logs

I have shot 8 deer with my 7mm and non of them went over 25 yards. I use Federal Premium shells and they get the job done. I shot my buddies Ultra Mag and the damn thing almost took off my shoulder. I would stick with Remington 700 in 7mm Mag. With good ammo deer is no match.
Old August 22, 2008, 02:45 AM   #17
BBush

As someone said earlier, my guess is that you are using too much bullet (i.e. too heavy and well constructed). I learned the leason the hard way too. When I first bought my 7mm Rem. mag, I was thinking that I should get the most expensive bullet because it will work a lot better and faster than the cheap bullets. What I wasn't thinking is that the more expensive bullets are constructed better for shooting elk and such and don't open up very well on deer sized animals. What the bullet did was to pass through before it had time to open up, so it was almost like shooting the deer with a solid point, which caused them to generally run before they died. I bought a box of Federal Ballistic Tips and think that I have not had a deer walk over two steps in at least 30 deer being shot. The Ballistic Tip in the 7mm mag is just about as instantaneous kill shot as anything out there.
Old August 22, 2008, 03:12 AM   #18
dipper

"I hunt deer in Mexico. I own a Browning A Bolt 7 Mag. I want my deer to fall down dead, right now, in two pieces."

I would go with a .50 Cal for what you want!!
There are several calibers that will give quick humane kills but if you like your deer in two pieces, you got to go big!!