The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1
NateKirk

Gunsmith or DIY?

Hi I'm new here and I wanted your guys opinion on this. I just bought a Uberti '58 Remington from Cimarron, 5.5" barrel, and am looking at putting a Kirst conversion cylinder in it. In order for it to work though, I would have to grind out some of the recoil shield to allow the bullets to slide in. Kirst will do this for you but at a cost so I'm wondering, would you recommend doing it yourself or having the company do it? Your thoughts please and thanks

here is a link on how someone would do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a08x...2DnC7Dhh3JgIMQ
Old March 1, 2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Rigmarol

I recently had my two colt's Dragoons worked on.
I originally wanted to do the work myself but after a lot of research and looking for info on how to properly fit the conversions so I could still use the original BP cylinders, I decided to pony up and have the smith that Kirst recommends do the work.

I believe it was money well spent and I'm glad I went this way.

Now, I shoot in at least three Cowboy Action Matches a month so I shoot a lot. But if you are just a pinker with low volume of rounds fired a month, I'd say look at it very hard to see if the considerable cost plus shipping plus insurance both ways is worth it for you.

I had two guns done and I'm happy with the results.
Old March 1, 2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Hawg

Unless you just want it gated you could just remove the cylinder to load it.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

It depends....

First of all....Welcome to the campfire.

It depends upon your skill level and the tools you have available to you.

The video shows work which was perportedly done with Dremel moto tool.

I have used Dremels for a long time and have found that they are very good for intricate work but I am not able to use mine to do the work that was done on that pistol.

I am not disputing the video. And I am not saying it can't be done because there are plenty of folks out there who can do it.

That leaves you with some careful work with a file, or clamp it into a milling machine. I have enough skill with a Dremel to smooth it up as finish work.

Once you are finished with the metal modifications, you still have to touch up the bluing.

The revolver in the video appears to have been done very well.

I am not a converter kind of guy because I can't rationalize the economics. If I had one I would try it myself but my skill is too low to try it with a Dremel. It would be milling machine and I would proceed very cautiously.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Willie Sutton

Why don't you look at a non-gated conversion and just pull the cylinder pin out to load? Lots less work, and the Remmy is a perfect frame to do that with. No tools, no hassle, takes but a moment to do.

Willie

Old March 1, 2013, 09:15 AM   #6
MJN77

Word of advice, if you are going to send your gun off to have the conversion cylinder installed by gunsmith, send it here.
http://www.cartridgeconversion.com/SERVICES.php
This guy (Hoof Hearted on this forum) was trained by Kirst to install the cylinders.
From his site
Quote:
Kirst Kartridge Converters
trained me to do their installations so I have LOTS of experience with their product.
He has done work for me and I am pleased. Plus he charges less than Kirst does.

Quote:
Install Kirst Konverter: $80.00
includes port, finish, tune
(Compare at up to $125.00)
Kirst wants $125
Old March 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Rigmarol

Doing the loading channel is what scared me into using a smith when all was considered. I might have attempted it if I was doing just one but the thought of trying to do it right TWICE drove me to have it done.

If I were to do Remingtons, I would have gone with the non-gated conversions for sure.

The cost really is hard to justify unless there is a need to reload fast. For me the time spent between stages was too short to be able to pour powder, stuff wad and ball, or filler and ball, plus help With range duties and still jack my jaw with the other shooters. The ideas is to have fun, not get frustrated.

With the conversions I can shoot my beloved Colts, reload quickly and help out and vist with the same ease as the smokeless shooters. It was worth it to me.

If I were shooting at the range or killing mellons in the back yard, I'd let em stay the way they were and just load and shoot.

Good luck, go slow, and take pictures to share.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:50 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Just out of curiosity....

Does the use of a cap and ball revolver converted to cartridges permit competition in a CAS class which excludes revolvers originally designed for cartridges for example, Colt SAA or Remington 1875?

I don't deny the value in doing the conversion because one wants a converted revolver. I do plenty of stuff simply because I want to. That alone is enough reason.

But is there another reason associated with the rules of CAS?
Old March 2, 2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Rigmarol

Conversions can be shot in Frontier Cartridge category along with other non conversions. These are black powder ammo.

To shoot Frontier, just put the original BP cylinders back in.

The clubs I shoot with allow shooting with any category.
Old March 2, 2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

So...

...Conversions shoot in the same category as black powder cartridge.

Is this true in most CAS meets? Or do the rules change depending upon who sanctions/ where it is held?

Tnx,
Old March 2, 2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Rigmarol

I've found that the local clubs are mostly about the fun and safety. Rule are observed for score, but catagories can blend quite a bit.

BP shooting with smokeless, dualists shooting with gunfighters and so on.

It's all sorted out by the catagories the shooters sign in as.

Now, I've only shot with 4 clubs and only regularly with two.