The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2011, 08:06 AM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Where/how do you store your guns w/o a safe?

So later today I hope to pick up my new shotgun - an unfired A390ST DU. The tag is still on the trigger

I have already picked up a cable lock, and have a trigger lock as well. The question is where to store the shotgun as I don't have a safe.

I will not be using it for HD, nor, for that matter, will I have any shells in the house (if I do, they will be in a 1 ton safe in the basement - that regrettably can't handle the shotgun).

My preference is to store the shotgun assembled so I'm not breaking it down all of the time.

I don't yet have a case for it, but will be buying a soft case for it, and I may pick up the Beretta hard breakdown case as well.

Some of the options include in the hard case or in the soft case under the bed, in a variety of closets (bedroom, hallways, and out of the way places such as closets in bathrooms) or storage type areas. I am a bit concerned about condensation, so I'm thinking I will avoid bathroom closets and the basement. Frankly, anywhere in the house is fair game.

I'd prefer to keep things near my bedroom, as I do have kids in the house. My kids are well tuned into the fact that they are not allowed to touch the gun at all, but they do have friends over from time to time.

Of course, another option is to store it at a friends house (in his safe) until I buy my own safe. Looks like a cheapie safe can be had for around $400.

So, how do you store your shotguns.
Old July 25, 2011, 10:01 AM   #2
EdInk

You can keep it at my house. I have plenty of room, lots of other guns for it play with it and several boxes of shells to feed it.
Old July 25, 2011, 10:17 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If I don't have a safe than it isn't likely very prudent to mention storage locations or methods...
But this pic is floating around TFL in a few threads so what is one more???

Brent
Old July 25, 2011, 10:41 AM   #4
BigJimP

Seriously ??? .....buy a safe / they are not that expensive ...

and you might think kids won't touch it .../ but how are you going to feel if one of them does - or if someone gets hurt...( and whats it worth vs even a decent safe).

Yes, stay away from damp rooms - like bathroom closets / or closets with external walls for that matter...
--------------
Yes, everything goes in my gunsafe. I use breakdown hardcases for transport to and from the gun club ...or travel ...but other than that -the guns are standing up in my safe - assembled ( after they are cleaned ).

Last edited by BigJimP; July 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old July 25, 2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Pahoo

Any safe is better than nothing !!

Sadly, there are more guns stored in closets, under beds, between mattresses and behind doors, than in safes. I know a collector that even stored them in the attic and they eventually saw quite a bit of heat damage. If you have any guns of any consequence, then it's good advice that you should get a safe. One of my best investments was to buy a safe, over 20 yrs. ago. I'm fully aware that it will not stop the serious "Gangstas" from breaking in but mostly concerned about kids and what they might do with them. ....

Depending on the firearm, you can take them apart but that has it's limitations and hard to track. Most gun locks are worthless but it's better than nothing. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old July 25, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6
chack

I got this idea from a buddy of mine:

For years I kept all my guns in a closet that I modified into a semi secure storage space. I reinforced the studs around the door by screwing another 2x4 to them.

Then, I replaced the short hinge and lockplate screws with longer screws.

After that, I replaced the interior door knob with a dead bolt.

Finally, I built a shelf around the closet about 18" above the floor and attached a piece of 2x4to the wall about 25" above the shelf.

I cut 1/4" surgical tubing into pieces 2" long and screwed 3" sheetrock screws through it into the 2x4 about every 3".

I ended up with a fairly secure space that had a rack on three sides for my long guns, space underneath the shelf for .50 cal ammo cans stacked 2 high, a shelf on top for handguns and accessories, and I used the clothes bar to hang LBVs and camouflage clothing.

It wasn't as secure as the $1200 safes I have now, but it was big enough to hold about 50 long guns and 10's of thousands of rounds of ammo. At the time I had my C&R FFL and was buying $40 mosins and mausers, $100 SKSs, and cases of ammo at 6 or 7 cents/rd.

My entire collection cost less than the price of one good safe and those guns and ammo appreciated by 4 or 5 hundred percent. The safe would be worth about the same, so I think it was a good strategy.

It looked like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closet safe.JPG (8.6 KB, 1624 views)

Last edited by chack; July 25, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:53 PM   #7
SurplusShooter

Just stick it in the back of your bed room closet in a case with the cable lock loking the action open.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:56 PM   #8
BigJimP

You're right Chack,

at least you would be keeping curious kids out of there ...

and while its not going to keep a motivated thief out ...it'll keep the 3 minutes or less - smash and grab home burglars out as well.
Old July 25, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
rhinonewshooter

Currently buying a safe. Much better safe than sorry, so to speak. LOML will be much happier as well. Oh, and as an added bonus now I can get some other shotguns because the one on the way may be lonely.

As always thanks for the advice. Like may questions - if you have a question and feel uneasy about what you want to do, there is probably a reason.
Old July 25, 2011, 01:16 PM   #10
chack

Even if you have a good safe, it's a good idea to put it in a locked closet. It makes it less likely to be seen and therefore broken into, and by keeping it in a confined place it makes it harder for thieves to pry it open with a long prybar. I've heard that the way thieves usually get into safes is by sticking a long bar into the seam and using leverage and the muscle of a couple guys to work the door open. It makes sense and seems like a much weaker point on a safe than drilling out the lock.

By locating your safe in a closet they can't get the leverage to pry it open or tip it over.
Old July 25, 2011, 01:24 PM   #11
rhinonewshooter

great point. I was going to put it in a closet.

Should I be concerned about putting in in a closet in a basement - or just get a dehumidfier (or a light bulb) in the safe?
Old July 25, 2011, 01:26 PM   #12
BigJimP

Most of the better safes these days ...have locking bolts, etc ...and protected hinges...

but yes, I'm not saying putting them in your living room - out in the open is a great idea. You can lag bolt them into a concrete floor / or lag bolt them into the frame in the wall behind them ...and it will keep most guys out of them/prevent them from moving it without some serious tools.

It is possible to move a heavy safe .../ mine is well over 1,000 lbs full ...but if they're that motivated ...they can have it ( everything is insured anyway).

But storing guns properly in my mind - is primarily to take care of them long term / and keep the 3 minute smash and grab guys out ---if they ever got in the house ----and keep the grandkids safe. I'm glad you're getting a good safe !
Old July 25, 2011, 03:04 PM   #13
BarkeyVA

Since we have a home security system, I keep my guns in relatively inexpensive Stack-On metal gun cabinets with locking doors, primarily to keep the grandkids away from them.
Old July 25, 2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Hookem2244

I dont have a safe , but do have a gun cabinet in my closet that locks with a key that takes up minimal space. It has room for about 6 long guns and a small shelf for a couple of handguns. It cost about 150 bucks at Academy and works great for me. Kids will be kids and it is better safe than sorry.
Old July 25, 2011, 03:37 PM   #15
Drummer101

Got mine with a trigger lock under my bed. But I am the youngest one so no need to worry about kids.
Old July 25, 2011, 03:41 PM   #16
BigJimP

For any of you guys not locking up your guns in a sturdy safe ....remember on your renters or homeowners insurance ....there is probably a sublimit for "Theft of firearms"...like $ 1,500 .../ and of course that applies even if the bad guys get into the safe ...

so its another reason to have a good safe ...

check your insurance policies ...
Old July 25, 2011, 04:05 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
check your insurance policies ...
What is the "insurrection police" you speak of?

Brent
Old July 25, 2011, 06:51 PM   #18
rommer25

A safe is the way to go

As said before, most guns are not in safes. I used to lock my guns in a wood cabinet that I made. It was made of hard wood, reinforced and weighed about 200 lbs. I had it bolted to my bed room floor and wall. Then I got a safe when I got married and had kids.

My dad had only one rifle and kept it behind his front door. I have a friend who takes them apart and puts them in a large steamer trunk. I know some people who just keep a cable lock on them in the bedroom. I don't know of anyone who leaves them without some kind of security (lock etc. my dad passed away).

If you have children, the safe is almost a must. Other that having kids; any of the options that secure the weapon seem to be acceptable. The only down side is theft. I have had hunting friends who have had their entire collections taken by burglars.
Old July 25, 2011, 08:00 PM   #19
Gehrhard

"The Rack".

It was (is?) a periodically produced heavy-duty welded steel "wire" and flat-stock gun rack where two halves bolt together back-to-back and stand free or the halves can be bolted to the wall. Each half holds eight longarms (including with scopes) vertically and has rubber-coated barrel rests and aircraft cabling that runs through the trigger guards for padlocking to protect them from the curious as well as petty thiefs.

Maybe someone else can find a picture or ad for them? Shotgun News, circa early 90's?
Old July 25, 2011, 08:50 PM   #20
Dennis1209

I'd vote for a safe also as many have stated. I just purchased a Liberty Fat Boy safe new. Craigslist has a ton (no pun intended) of used safes for sale at great prices. I found a number of them I would have purchased but, getting it from point A to point B wasn't feasible. Thirty years ago I would have tucked the 875 pound safe under my arm and placed it where I wanted it. Now a days, I need a lift going to the bathroom
Old July 25, 2011, 10:26 PM   #21
jimmythegeek

Secured vs. kids, not burglars

The threat I'm addressing is child access.

I have a cable lock + cheap plastic case with lock. That case is cabled to something heavy. The whole thing moderately concealed, and required parts stored separately and ammunition stored separately from both. I think that will handle the child access issue. The class of burglars that could take it could also probably get into an entry level safe, too. I saw some at Dicks with a 1/8 inch gap. Might as well have had a "insert pry bar HERE" sticker. If I go bigger, it will be with a Class C / TL15 equivalent.

I don't have anything I'd really hate to see a thief get. My little Marlin 795 is too big for concealment and too small for gang activity. I consider the risk quite low that it will contribute to someone's misery if stolen. If I ever get a pistol, shotgun, or AR15, then sure. I'd feel a moral obligation to take all reasonable steps to secure those.

I saw a thread on another forum where a locksmith said he sees broken safes regularly. I wonder...I'm starting another thread. "Ever had a gun safe broken into?"
Old July 25, 2011, 10:35 PM   #22
SHNOMIDO

under the bed, cable locked.

there was a time when i had the shotgun cable locked through the action and also through the bed frame, but its not necessary anymore.

that might work for you. your kids or ne'er do wells would have to take apart your bed to get away with the gun, and then it would have a big piece of metal hanging off it.

Of course, there are bolt cutters in the world.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:30 AM   #23
bitttorrrent

have kids but no safe. my dad is getting one for me, so most of my guns are in his gunroom safe.

my current safe for longuns is on top of an armoir in den. i can barely reach it and with cable locks and ammo in separate place.

i am going to get a snap on type locking safe - has a key and just as good in my opinion as the cheap metal safes at Cabelas. Plus it has sliding drawers for parts and ammo and cleaning stuff. i can bolt it down also.

I think it is 36" wide so i think my upcoming shotgun purchase will fit.

not too worried about stealing, more to keep the kids out. if it is in a locked metal case with cable lock it should be good.

My Dad used to leave a loaded .38 revolver in a concealed closet in the basement that I was not supposed to touch. I of course being 12+ yrs old would show it to my friends - safely not pointing it etc. - but it is the other kids you have to worry about that do not have any training and have never held a gun. I was wrong, but I was a 12 yr. old boy.

They WILL FIND AND HANDLE your guns if they are accessible. That is a known so make sure they are in a safe, cable locked and ammo separate. Believe me I know.
Old July 26, 2011, 09:38 AM   #24
rhinonewshooter

And this is why I have the shotgun with a cable lock, a trigger lock and now in a safe. Lot's of tricks to get it all unlocked.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:00 AM   #25
FAS1

Since it is not for HD just buy the best RSC you can afford. As long as it is locked up your kids won't destroy anything trying to gain access. Your home should be protected in layers from thieves if that's a concern. Your HD gun should be accessible to you but secure if you have one. Like you said, the kids friends should always be a concern.