The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 1, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
ZeSpectre

So much for the Vltor Fortis

Well, we got some sad news about the Vltor "Fortis" 10mm pistol today.
It is Officially no more.

Vltor Blog
Quote:
It seems there has been a lot of speculation lately about the Fortis Pistol… and we have had to sit back and watch, reluctant and unable to say anything. Which makes it that much harder for us to now say that the most pernicious of the internet rumors are true: the Fortis Pistol is no more.
of course if you keep reading you'll also find this gem...
Quote:
There is only one reason for this decision, because we have been able to get the rights to use the original Bren Ten name and logo… The Fortis is now the Bren Ten!
Great MAKER! Can we PLEASE see this gun in production? PLEASE!!!
Old August 1, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
charles isaac

Sonny Crockett would be proud!
Old August 1, 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
smoke63b

I'd like to pick one up when they become available but I'm worried about what the price point is going to be.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:38 PM   #4
DasFriek

I have a feeling they will cost more than a 10mm Dan Wesson cost if thats the case it would be hard to pay more for a Bren-Ten.
Im sure many people dont agree with that and hopefully the sell tons of them if they ever stop talking about it and actually make one too sell.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:13 PM   #5
troy_mclure

ive been looking at 10mm for a while, its sad when a company has one "in the works" for so long and nothing comes of it.

the more manufacturers that make a 10mm the more accessible they will be.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old August 1, 2009, 10:36 PM   #6
cougar gt-e

I wanted a Bren 10 in the worst way, but talked myself out of it when the mags were like hens teeth.

Oh well.

jb
Old August 1, 2009, 10:42 PM   #7
.351winchester

LOL, pretty dirty. That's cool, but would have prefered to see the cool V/Pugio dagger logo on it, what about those folks who paid big bucks for original Brens?

How many seasons did Sonny carry a BX? I know he had a Euro P220 or BDA in the first one, then the Bren, but almost every episode you see he's got a Smith 645 or 4506 under the pit.

The Witness Elite Match is good enough for my desires, looks pretty similar and has a sweet SAO trigger. Regular Witness 10's are even cheaper than this value, mid 400's range around here all the time NIB in Wonder finish. Still think the G20 SF is a better choice in a workhorse/all purpose/woods gun, and the CBOB the perfect carry 10.
Old August 1, 2009, 11:28 PM   #8
ZeSpectre

Quote:
How many seasons did Sonny carry a BX? I know he had a Euro P220 or BDA in the first one, then the Bren, but almost every episode you see he's got a Smith 645 or 4506 under the pit.
Ah I'm such a Miami Vice geek.

Sonny carried a SIG P-220 in the pilot. Then he had the "Ten" for the first two seasons. Then it was a 2nd Generation series Smith & Wesson Model 645, then I -think- it was a Smith & Wesson Model 4506.
Old August 1, 2009, 11:41 PM   #9
RickB

Vltor has been dragging their feet for about six months, and you wonder if it's all because they've been working on the naming rights, not wanting to go into production right as the deal was being done? You also have to wonder if "Bren Ten" is really going to be a benefit?
I never watched MV, but I think Sonny packed a Bren for only one season.
Vltor said the gun would be priced at "mid-1911" levels, but since there are $5000 1911s . . .
Old August 8, 2009, 12:38 PM   #10
PeterGunn

While I am grateful for the opportunity to pick up one of these new fangled Bren-Xs, it really isn't what it appears to be. The Fortis (now Bren X) has more in common with the Witness 10mm then the original.

To overcome the magazine issue, the Fortis was designed to use Witness magazines. The original Bren X had a single stack magazine and the ergos to match. This new "bren" will be fat with at least 12+1 capacity, making it difficult to carry or conceal if desired.

Col. Cooper saw the original Bren 10 as something of an improvement on the 1911. Making it chubby... maybe we should call it the Bren XL. Seriously, if Vltor wants to make the Bren X, then make it... period.

PeterGunn
Old August 9, 2009, 04:10 PM   #11
RickB

The Fortis was redesigned to accomodate the Witness mag, but not at the expense of the Bren's relatively slim grip frame; don't assume that the higher-cap mag necessarily means a fatter frame on the new Bren. Someone who's apparently familiar with both guns says the two don't feel the same, but the Vltor people say that's due to the grip panels, and not the frame dimensions. We'll see . . . if the gun ever goes into production.
Edit: If you look at the guns, both the original Bren and the new Bren/Fortis, you'll see that the frame is no wider than the slide in either model. If the frame had to be made wider to accept the Witness mag, the frame would have to be wider than the slide, in the way the Para Ordnance P14 is wider than a single-stack 1911.
This is a pic of a Fortis prototype from the '09 SHOT show, and you can see that the frame is no thicker than the slide.
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2...1/DSC04893.JPG

Last edited by RickB; August 10, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old August 9, 2009, 05:45 PM   #12
ZeSpectre

Quote:
The original Bren X had a single stack magazine
Hrmmm, I thought part of the deal with the original Bren-Ten was that there were NO magazines! <evil laugh>.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:41 PM   #13
PeterGunn

Quote:
Hrmmm, I thought part of the deal with the original Bren-Ten was that there were NO magazines! <evil laugh>.
Now that's funny!!!

PeterGunn
Old August 15, 2009, 03:09 PM   #14
PeterGunn

Here's a gem from youtube.com regarding the new Bren Ten recorded at the last Shot Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP76brVwmic

PeterGunn