The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

you shoot alot of odd stuff ??? correct head stamp or not ???

so... I just ordered my 1st 150 - 32-40 cases for my Remington Roller project... & my palms are sweating with what new correct head stamp Winchester 32-40 cases cost ( have you looked lately ??? brass has gone up ), even "if" you can get them...

... I figured I'd pay the premium for correct head stamp brass, as I already have a boot load of 30-30 based Contender cartridges that I have in various stages of load

what do you guys do to keep those wildcats or obsolete cartridges you built out of something else with the same or similar parent cartridge ???

( don't want to mix the wrong 2 in the tumbler, or I might have to mic out every case )

any suggestions for a pet 32-40 load for 200-210 grain spitzer gas checked or copper jacketed bullets ( I'm using an 8mm unfinished barrel blank with a 1 in 10 twist, chambered to 32-40, & fitted on a #1 Remington Rolling Block rifle originally customized in the 40's or 50's, as a bench rest rifle... I plan to keep about 26 - 27" of barrel length...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 2, 2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:20 PM   #2
hivel37

The only wildcat that I load for is the 7mm TCU for my contender carbine. Of course these are necked up from the .223. The difference between cases is obvious, and so presents no problems.

I can see where there could be problems among closer calibers. Maybe a light file mark on the rim might be a reminder.
Old September 4, 2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Sport45

I shoot a lot of 7.7jap formed from 30-06 cases and haven't had any trouble keeping them sorted. A quick look at the neck and shoulder tells the tale.

My .375win uses 30-30 brass blown out to essentially a straight wall case. Again, no trouble telling it apart from its parent cartridge.
Old September 4, 2008, 01:59 PM   #4
brickeyee

Every once in a while I make some .45 ACP from old .308 or .30-06.

Usually freaks out folks at the range.
Old September 6, 2008, 10:35 AM   #5
acloco

Use a different colored Sharpie and mark the case above the case head in the extractor groove.

I have three 223 AI's and three 223's that I keep seperate by case manufacturer and the Sharpie method.

I also write the load information on the front left cartridge in each loaded ammo box with all of the info - date load, which firearm, primer, bullet, etc, etc. Yes, I also have the load information on the label inside the box, but doubling up is not a bad idea.