The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 10:52 PM   #26
Josh17

Anyone got a picture of what the Glock striker channel/firing pin looks like? I know those you need to avoid lube on. I'm almost sure I know which part is the firing pin/channel, but I'm not positive, I don't have the Glock manual and no to teach me. So I'm just guessing.

I'm going to take a blow dryer to the firing pin area and blow dry it every time AFTER I lube it. Will that work? lol

I will also use a dry rag on the area to make sure no lube gets there. But since dry rags don't always get all of it, would a hair dryer on the firing pin channel work to remove any lube that may have gotten in there?
Old January 18, 2013, 12:17 AM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

Maintenance Instructions from Glock.

http://us.glock.com/documents/gun_maintenance.pdf

Here's a downloadable unofficial manual with some instructions and pictures. I am NOT suggesting that you should disassemble the gun as shown, but it's a good resource for figuring out what is what including pictures.

http://www.limaguns.com/media/uploads/manual_glock.pdf

This is the rear of the firing pin channel. Don't put any oil in this channel.

This is the debris hole at the front of the firing pin channel. Don't put any oil in this hole.

This is the firing pin hole in the breechface. Don't put any oil in this hole.

Call Glock and they will probably send you a manual at no charge.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:58 AM   #28
warningshot

Some guy at the gunshow told me that he knew some other guy used CLP on a pair of Glock pistols and drove to the range. When the guy opened the trunk they said it looked like the scene from the movie, Repo Man. Everything turned a green color, they heard some weird music, and then the dude just melted away.

CLP & Glock are a match made in heaven. Don't worry. You will be fine.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:04 AM   #29
Josh17

Yeah CLP and Glocks do go good together.

My question though is if I do get some breakfree CLP into the firing pin channel/area, will using a hair dryer on that area to dry it off work in removing the CLP??? Or is the only way to remove it is with a dry rag? I would assume that a hair dryer would work to remove some of the breakfree CLP if I got into the firing pin channel, but wasn't sure.

I thought that maybe the hair dryer would simply make it look dry but not actually "remove" the CLP lube from the firing pin area. Or will a hair dryer actually work to remove it?
Old January 18, 2013, 08:31 AM   #30
AH.74

Just keep anything away from the firing pin hole. You should really never- repeat- never- that's never- need to take a blow dryer to any of your guns under normal circumstances- and that's what we're talking about here. Honest injun. Once in a while blast it out with gun scrubber. You shouldn't have to do anything more during regular maintenance.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:19 AM   #31
greyeyezz

Quote:
will using a hair dryer on that area to dry it off work in removing the CLP???
You are obsessing over nothing. Oil the pistol per owners manual, rack the slide and put it away. sheesh.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:18 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

If you feel that a significant quantity of solvent/oil has gotten into the channel, it's probably worthwhile to remove the slide cover plate and the firing pin. Then use a cotton swab to clean and dry the channel and wipe any solvent/oil off the firing pin before reinstalling it.

Similarly, if you depress the firing pin safety and shake the slide and don't hear the striker moving freely in the firing pin channel, it may be time to clean the firing pin and firing pin channel.

While solvents may dry out from the application of hot air, oils will not easily evaporate. The hair dryer might work for solvents but not on oils or CLPs which contain oil.

If you have an air compressor, you can use it to blow out the channel after cleaning--just be sure to use safety glasses.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:30 PM   #33
Josh17

Grey that point was the most useless answer in this thread. Thanks to all the other replies I will do that in case I get lube there.

Oh and Grey while your at it why not put lube in the firing pin channel and carry it around? I mean Geeze getting lube in the firing pin only makes it not work, not a big deal in a SD situation at all, right? Let lube get into the firing pin area and confidently care it around as a SD weapon. Exactly. If the thread annoys you, don't respond. Simply.

I thank the others who provided helpful answers. I now know CLP is the way to go for Glock and to avoid lube in/near the firing pin channel, since I know lube, especially CLP, tends to get everywhere... Again thanks all for the replies. I don't need anymore "get over it who cares if a tank runs over it geese just carry it" those are pointless and inaccurate responses. I got my answers. Anything bringing up old stuff is obviously an attempt to start an argument. Just leave it alone already.

Last edited by Josh17; January 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Merad

Quote:
Oh and Grey while your at it why not put lube in the firing pin channel and carry it around? I mean Geeze getting lube in the firing pin only makes it not work, not a big deal in a SD situation at all, right?
Oh good lord. I know guys who've ignored the manual and intentionally lubed the firing pin channel and still had no problems until they'd fired many hundreds of rounds without cleaning.

If you're really freaking out this much over a few molecules of CLP seeping into the firing pin channel, then yeah you're worried over nothing.