The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Slugo

what brand of shotgun shells have you used mostly..

speaking more of target loads than field ammo. Fun just to see! For myself it would be the following:

- Federal 75%
- Remington 20%
- Estate, Winchester, Fiocchi, etc. 5%
Old June 28, 2012, 07:43 AM   #2
dalecooper51

Near 100% of my shooting has been done using my own reloads using Remington Gun Club hulls.

I cant remember the last time I picked up a box of shells.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Orphanedcowboy

Duck:

Federal Ultra Shok 100%

Target:

Federal Gold Medal 75%(soon to be 0%)
Federal Top Gun 15%(soon to be 100%)
Remington STS/Nitro 10%(soon to be 0%)
Old June 28, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
shortwave

Target loads are mostly Federal.

Small game hunting is usually Remington.

Although I used Remington Sluggers for many years with no problem in my smoothbore for deer hunting, a couple years ago I switched to Brenneke K.O.'s as I found they produced a bit better, consistent accuracy in that particular shotgun.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I thought this would be easy then I looked at my inventory and realized a lot of what I shoot is no longer in my inventory and some parts of my inventory have lots more shells in them than other parts so brands listed don't necessarily reflect what I have the most of.

Remington Premium
Remington Express
Remington Turkey
Remington Game
Remington Hi Vel
Remington
Federal Premium
Federal Game
Federal
Winchester Game
Winchester Expert
Winchester
Fiocchi Field
Golden Bear
Brenneke
Express
Hornady
Estate Hi-Vel
Activ

The bare bones truth is I am not brand fussy and while I have every size shot and a goodly supply of slugs in every gauge from .410 to 10 gauge I have favorite shot sizes but no favorite brands. If I was a wing shooter or trap and sleet shooter I'm sure that would change but deer, rabbits and turkey aren't as critical from my point of view as somebody shooting at a feathered rocket bursting from under their feet.

Now that I have just bought a reloading set up for my 10 gauge and my .410 my brand choices may become even less important as I mix and match my own loads to gun and purpose.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 28, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

Remington Gun Clubs (rarely buy, get used hulls at range and reload them)
Old June 28, 2012, 01:00 PM   #7
oneounceload

Gun Clubs and then reload
for registered shoots I use factory throw aways from Federal or Estate (same thing)
Old June 28, 2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Slugo

anybody ever use B&P? I never did, just asking...
Old June 28, 2012, 02:40 PM   #9
BigJimP

In 12ga and 20ga ....

I've shot a few flats of B&P ...nothing special about them. About the only time I bought them / was when I flew somewhere...and that was the premium load they had for sale, so I'd buy a flat. I never kept the hulls or reloaded them when I traveled. One of the kids pulling targets was usually happy to have them ..and policed them up.
-----------
For the last 20 yrs or so ....
For tournaments I shoot almost exclusively Rem STS or Rem Nitro shells...usually new, if its a big tournament. I still keep 5 or 6 flats of new shells around ...

For my own reloads ...for practice ...its 100% Rem STS / Nitro as well.

Once in a while, if I'm shooting a semi-auto ---( like in the rain ) and I want to shoot a throw away shell, I'll shoot a box of Rio's sporting clays loads.
---------
From the 70's thru the early 90's I shot exclusively Win AA's - new and in my own reloads. When I got back into shooting ..especially into sporting clays in the 90's I switched everything to Rem STS / Nitro hulls on my reloads...so that's what I bought for new flats as well.
---------
I find Estate is a really dirty shell...so I avoid those unless I travel and that's all I can get. I was never a Federal fan ...or Fiocchi ...
Old June 28, 2012, 02:49 PM   #10
BigJimP

In 28ga and .410's ....

I have 8 or 10 flats of new shells...Rem STS ...for each ..../ and right now I'm reloading them for each as well....and they're ok in .410's ....

28ga ...Rem STS hulls ..have Issues !!
------------
I'm very unhappy with the durability of the 28ga Rem STS hulls ( way too many of them - the plastic extrusion is breaking off inside the brass cup ) as the shell is fired...sometimes on the first factory firing, sometimes on 1st or 2nd reload....and once in a while the hull will stick in the barrel ..well into the forcing cone ( making it possible to load a 2nd shell...and fire it behind a blocked chamber...) .... I've fired them on a skeet field ( only in my O/U's --- its way too risky to shoot them in a pump gun or semi-auto in my opinion )....and when I've fired them in my 28ga O/U ...I've had the target break normally ...and the hull fracture and remain inside the gun.

Its a pretty serious issue...and while its been reported in some of the shotgun magazines...starting about 3 yrs ago ...and pretty well know among skeet reloaders...I'm not sure its widely known.

I would not let any of my grandkids shoot a 28ga Rem STS shell ...even new factory shells....in a pump gun or a semi-auto ...( targets might break normally, shell sounds fine ...and that hull when the cup was extracted ..might still be in the chamber ( maybe the pump or semi-auto would jam ....and maybe not / which really worries me ) ...so in the 28ga, the only gun I trust for the kids to fire is my Browning O/U.
Old June 28, 2012, 03:16 PM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
anybody ever use B&P? I never did, just asking.
Yes , as well as Fiocchi - but not on a regular basis - B&P makes some nice ammo, but I really CAN'T tell the difference - and therefore justify the price difference - between them and others. Fiocchi makes some nice ammo, especially their Rhino and Crusher lines

Last edited by oneounceload; June 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old June 28, 2012, 03:40 PM   #12
1tfl

I use mostly Winchester as thats what I have.
I bought out three local K-Mart stores arund me when they discontinued ammo sales about 10 years ago. I think I ended up with about 700 boxes with about 80% of them being the 7 1/2 Field Load. At $0.99 per box I couldn't pass.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:46 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

$0.99 a box! $0.99 a box! $0.99 a box! $0.99 a box! $0.99 a box! $0.99 a box! Daffy calls that duckingly dastardly!!!
Old June 28, 2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Slugo

I can also remember, back in the mid 90's I used to shoot Winchester DoubleAA's and Federal Papers!! Dem were da days...
Old June 28, 2012, 05:11 PM   #15
BigJimP

I'm too young to remember paper hulls....

(no, you can't make me remember....) I won't do it ....

...../ unless you offer me a cupcake ...and then I'll do most anything ..since I'm still on this diet of "if it tastes good, spit it out " ....
Old June 28, 2012, 05:38 PM   #16
snuzzo29

I have used mostly Federal but have also used Remington and some Winchesters.

Federal Top Gun
Federal Speed Shok
Federal Field and Range
Remington Gun Clubs
Winchester AA
Old June 28, 2012, 05:46 PM   #17
landlord

any one remember the old peters paper shells
Old June 28, 2012, 10:46 PM   #18
olddrum1

Anything with a brass hull. I even have a couple hundred blue Peters around here somewhere.
Old June 29, 2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
any one remember the old peters paper shells
Picked up a few hundred rounds at an estate auction about 10 years ago. They got put away and not found again till last summer when I shot them up. One had a funny little sound but worked well on my target, all the rest worked as well as any other shell. They were high velocity loads and didn't look all that old so I assumed they were the ones made by Remington under the Peters name.

I have most of a box of Western Field loads too but those aren't going to get shot. They came in a box along with a miscellaneous collection of centerfire cartridges and a pair of WWII vintage binoculars.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 29, 2012, 11:27 AM   #20
zippy13

Quote:
...I used to shoot Winchester DoubleAA's and Federal Papers!!
Works for me.
There's nothing like the smell of Federal papers in the morning.
Old June 29, 2012, 11:45 AM   #21
Chuckusaret

I started out on Peter's and switched to Remington when Peter's was no longer available. Have I dated myself?
Old June 29, 2012, 12:29 PM   #22
Emuricah513

95% Federal Target loads (you can't beat the price at Cabelas up here)
5% Remington 3 1/2 nitro turkey loads (Just for Sh**s and Giggles when I take someone new shooting like my fiance )

Haven't gotten into too any hunting since I moved to good ol' North Dakota just a lot of clays.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:45 PM   #23
a7mmnut

Estate Cartridge
Old June 29, 2012, 12:48 PM   #24
zippy13

Quote:
Haven't gotten into too any hunting since I moved to good ol' North Dakota just a lot of clays.
What's going on? The guys down here go to the Dakotas for the bird shooting and you're popping clays. Sounds like the cosmos is out of balance.
Old June 29, 2012, 05:36 PM   #25
oneounceload

Quote:
Times are a changing - when I lived in ND, there were NO clays and everything was about hunting in fact that was where I learned about pheasant and duck hunting