The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
bigamehunter93

Glock for competition

I have decided to purchase a Glock for recreational shooting and eventually to use in competition....I will most likely invest in the 34....only one problem though. My dad says that Glocks are junk. I have done loads of research and found nothing that says that a Glock handgun is lesser in quality...can someone (preferably more than one), enlighten me on the glock, because for some reason I think my dad is just blowing smoke...(he hates pistols and cares only about his precious little custom shotguns for skeet and trap)....thanks!
Old July 2, 2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Gonzo_308

Let me start by saying I'm not a believer. By that I mean I dont buy all the hype about Glock superhuman strength and reliability. They dont come with little red capes. Actually, you could probably say I roll my eyes at the hyperbole that is often used to revere the Glock platform.

however, I consider them to be a top shelf firearm comparable to any other top shelf firearm and would be completely comfortable trusting my life to a Glock.

I dont own any but wouldn't hesitate if I were to be given one.

If you want a Glock (and many, many people do) get one. You wont be disappointed with the quality.

signed, certified Glock eyeroller.
Old July 2, 2010, 03:20 PM   #3
WvHiker

A lot of older guys (please don't flame me, it's just an observation based on my personal experience) just couldn't wrap their head around having a polymer ("plastic") pistol.

Most of the anti Glock opinions I run across come from people who don't actually own one. You're going to hear a lot about grip angle, but honestly I think people are just way to picky about every little thing. If you like it, buy it.
Old July 2, 2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Oldjarhead

Glocks are quality guns. It has been estimated that about fifty to sixty percent of law enforcement in the USA carry 9mm or .40 caliber Glocks. As a recently retired LEO, I carried a Glock m23 .40 caliber pistol for ten years and never had a problem with it. It is accurate at combat distances, easy to field strip, and clean.
The only thing I don't like is the safety on the trigger. I prefer smooth triggers. The grip angle is a too angled, but I have not experienced any problems there.

I have noticed that the folks that don't like Glocks, are die hard 1911 fans, because of it' near perfect grip, shootability and accuracy. I love 1911s too, and I think all thinks considered are tops, but Glocks are good combat pistols. If they were so bad, Police would not use them.
Old July 2, 2010, 04:17 PM   #5
rsxr22

A Glock 34 is arguably the most common used gun in USPSA Production. There affordable and upgrades are cheap.

I would highly recommend a CZ SP-01 Tactical or Phantom as well. I like the Tactical better because it is steel and heavier then the Phantom and G34.

A heavier gun will offer less perceived recoil and ultimately make follow up shots quicker and more accurate.

If you decide to purchase the CZ, do the single action only conversion, it will pay dividends having a SAO trigger and shooting production.

I use a G34 in IDPA and USPSA currently and personally i feel that the CZ is going to put the G34 in retirement or atleast on vacation for awhile. The grip of it is way more comfortable imo then the Glock and the Tactical is definitely flatter shooting
Old July 2, 2010, 05:58 PM   #6
C Philip

If you're spending your own money on your own gun, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it.

A Glock is a fine firearm and will serve you well.
Old July 2, 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Dabull

I don't particularly like Glocks (looks or grip angle), but I must admit they are very reliable and very accurate. So I shoot my Sigs for fun but keep the Glocks to fill a niche...the 21 has 13 rounds of .45 for home defense and the 26 has 12 rounds of 9mm for concealed carry in a small package. They definitely are not junk.
Old July 2, 2010, 06:30 PM   #8
Izzy4700

I have decided to purchase a Glock for recreational shooting and eventually to use in

You have decided what you want, go for it. The Glock will not let you down, it's not junk, but a high performance pistol good for all types of shooting. Suggest afterwards you save up for something in the 1911 platform. You'll have the best of both worlds IMO.
Old July 2, 2010, 07:40 PM   #9
crghss

Glocks are as good a place to start as any. Entry price is very good, especially if you buy used, they're simple and reliable. I recommend all beginners buy used because if they don'y shoot as much as they thought or decide to go in another direction. They can sell for almost what they paid. Nothing stinks more then buying new then selling for 70% or less then what you paid.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Daryl

Glocks are ugly to some. Awkward feeling to some. They might not appeal to some because of the "plastic" thing.

But they aren't junk. I've owned a lot of various handguns, but revolver and semi-auto, and any of them can have problems. I had a 1911 that broke twice before it had a single box of ammo though it. I had a CZ 75b that never did feel an entire mag without at least a couple of jams.

The two Glocks I owned never once failed in any way. The particular models that I had didn't really work for me, and I eventually sold them.

That said, I just bought another. Why? Because I liked the feel of it, and Glocks in general have been some of the most reliable semi-autos I've ever owned or shot.

And I'm one that really doesn't care all that much for polymer, but I'll freely admit what's worked for me. Glocks are good guns at a reasonable price; if you like them, then don't let someone else's opinion stop you from getting what you want.

Daryl
Old July 2, 2010, 08:22 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

I've had a number of very good guns, and still have a number of them.

I've had a Glock 34, which I loved, and have a Glock 35. (The only reason I don't have the 34 is that I traded it for a much-gunsmithed S&W M&P Pro that caught my eye.)

The 35 is the best shooting .40 that I've owned, and I shot the 34 better in IDPA competition than anything else I own.

You can do better, but probably not without spending a LOT more. Hint: The 35 might be a better choice, as it gives you the option of shooting more competitively in IPSC, if you ever go that direction. It'll let you shoot production (or STOCK) in the other gun sports, too.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 3, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old July 3, 2010, 03:20 PM   #12
voyager4520

I wonder how many times he's shot a Glock.

A lot of people spread around bad rumors about Glocks, and 99% of the people who do have never even touched a Glock.

I own two .40SW Glocks, a Glock 23 and a Glock 27. I have about 1000 rounds through each and I've never experienced a malfunction of any kind.

There are only two negative things to say about Glocks. One, the texture of the grip is too slippery. I put a Hogue HandALL grip on my G23 and I'm going to get a Talon Grip for my G27. The other negative thing about them is that there's quite a learning curve to shooting them because they're so light and the grip angle is different from most pistols.
Old July 3, 2010, 05:17 PM   #13
bigamehunter93

......my point exactly....he has never owned a glock and from what i know, never shot one. He one of those Dan wesson, Smith wesson guys, who, when it comes to pistols is very, and I mean VERY opinionated....Since I posted this thread he has given into the glock and read up on some reviews....I think its going to work out. I went to a friends house who's nieghbor owns a G34,G17, and guess what.....A G18!!!!...had a great time shooting them, (especialy the G18!!). I should soon be the proud owner of a Glock 34...thanks guys

Jeremy
Old July 3, 2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Jim Watson

1. Glocks are good sound guns, very common in IDPA and IPSC/USPSA competition. Especially if you stick with the 9mm like Georg Luger and Gaston Glock meant you to.

2. Are you still living under his roof or at his expense?

3. Unfortunately, shotgunners have a high percentage of Fudds who look down on other types of guns, especially pistols.

4. Live legal Glock 18s are extremely scarce and expensive. I do not think there are any transferrable ones, your guy must be a dealer or SWATcop.
Old July 3, 2010, 07:58 PM   #15
bigamehunter93

yes, he is a class 3 holder. He had all kinds of sweet guns.
Old July 5, 2010, 09:23 PM   #16
.357SIG

I'm going to say to skip the 34 unless you are just attracted to that model and can't live without it. The 17 is cheaper and does the same thing. The extra barrel length is not going to help you, nor is the extra tiny amount of sight radius you get over the 17. The cost savings can buy you a lot of practice rounds, extra mags, a holster and mag pouch, or night sights.

The skilled painter makes the beautiful piece of art, not the brush he/she uses. Same goes for shooting; equipment will never make up for skill. A truly skilled shooter will agree with me here.

Just something to think about...
Old July 5, 2010, 09:26 PM   #17
.357SIG

Oh, the other part of your question....

A Glock is equal in quality and function as any of the other major manufacturers (Walther, CZ, SIG, S&W, H&K, Beretta, Springfield, etc.). It is no better, and it is no worse.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:41 AM   #18
Glasstream15

If the Sun rises tomorrow, the Glock will shoot. If the Sun doesn't rise tomorrow, nobody's going to be worried about Glocks anyway. My 19 is plain. It's sorta ugly but so is an F1 car. They both work well for what they were designed for. And the plastic makes it a couple ounces lighter, nice carring it all day.

My Ruger KP90 is still my favorite and best gun though. But it's home and car defense, not carry.
Live Free... Die Well
Old July 6, 2010, 12:06 PM   #19
EdInk

Your father may be very knowledgeable about shotguns but certainly not polymer handguns! No offense.

Glocks are STILL the gold standard to which all other polymer pistols are compared. It wasn't until the "recent" release of the Springfield Armory XD and even newer Smith&Wesson M&P pistols, that a serious shooter EVEN had a choice equal (or better) to the Glock in a striker-fired polymer duty weapon.

You will be happy with a Glock pistol. However, I suggest you look at the 2 aforementioned platforms before making a final decision. Many people (myself included) like one (or both) of them better for a variety of reasons.

FWIW, my main semi-auto handguns of choice over my life have been:

Beretta 92 (nice gun but not as good IMHO as a Glock)
Glock 19 (great reliable gun but never loved the grip... a common complaint)
SA XD9 (IMHO they "out glocked the glock" same reliablity, better trigger and grip plus higher capacity magazines)

Any of the 3 popular polyguns will serve you fine. Period.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:34 PM   #20
varoadking

Quote:
Glocks are STILL the gold standard to which all other polymer pistols are compared.
No they aren't...that would be the HK...
Old July 6, 2010, 01:41 PM   #21
FreakGasolineFight

1: I hate Glocks.

2: Glocks are not junk. They are not unreliable, and they are durable.

3: Your Dad's full-a baloney.

This, again, coming from someone who hates 'em.
Old July 6, 2010, 02:59 PM   #22
RT

This guy does pretty well with a Glock.
http://sevignyperformance.com/
Old July 7, 2010, 01:26 AM   #23
GoingQuiet

When I was 18, I rebelled against everything my parents believed in.

This included their views on the 2nd Amendment.

One day I came home with a Glock. I didnt tell anyone and my dad figured it out. He said to get rid of the damn thing because I was clueless and I didnt know any better. Also, he didnt like Glocks very much.

Its been a long time since I've been 18. I'm now an FFL. I still have my Glock and I shoot it at IDPA.

Dad eventually came around, but he still didnt like my gun. I suggest you do as I did, get it and if he docent like it - he can buy you a gun that he does like.
Old July 7, 2010, 01:50 AM   #24
TeamSinglestack

Glocks are good guns.

They roll pretty heavily in production division in USPSA, and are a staple in IDPA as well. While they aren't as "refined" as the limited, open, or singlestacks, they do just as well getting shots in the A zone.
Old July 8, 2010, 09:40 AM   #25
beltjones

To put it simply:

Anyone who says that you can't compete with a Glock has never competed.

To take it a step further:

Anyone who says they can't shoot a Glock very likely just can't shoot.