The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2000, 11:33 PM   #1
Robe

I'm interested in buying a "streetsweeper" as a novelty/collectible. Are they classified as a destructive device or AOW? There is one model with an 18 inch barrel. Would this one be like any other shotgun with an 18 inch barrel? Also would like to know when and where they were originally made. Any parts available? Basically wanting to know anything at all anyone can offer on these. Thanks.
Old August 7, 2000, 01:57 AM   #2
G50AE

Any shotgun with a revolvering cylinder is considered and assault weapon (SIC) as per the 1994 Crime Bill. (or is that Bill's Crime?) Pre-band ones are hard to come buy.
Old August 7, 2000, 08:16 AM   #3
jthuang

I believe it was Lloyd Bentsen who got the Streetsweeper (the South Africal Stryker 12) and the Daewoo USAS 12 classified as destructive devices under the NFA 1934.

Not a legal opinion, etc.

Justin
Old August 7, 2000, 07:17 PM   #4
ModIMark0

I have seen extra cylinders for sale in an ad in of Tapco Shotgun News. It was for either the Striker 12 or the Streesweeper, and was $79.99.
Penn Arms and SWD (makers of M10/M11) manufactured them. Penn made the Striker 12 and SWD made the Streetsweeper. In 1990 or 1991 I had received a sales brochure and tech info page from Penn. I could scan them into JPEG or GIF and send them to you if you are interested.
Lloyd Bentsen did have the Striker 12, Streetsweeper and USAS 12 reclassified as destructive devices after making the judgement that the three did not meet the 'sporting purposes' classification, but were 'destructive devices' (and thus registrable and requiring a tax stamp) under the Gun Control Act of 1968 that allows for the BATF to classify firearms as such without legislative processes.
I don't know if either company is manufacturing them.
Old August 7, 2000, 10:58 PM   #5
Robe

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.