The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2014, 04:43 PM   #1
bitttorrrent

Mossberg 930 jm pro or Versamax Tactical

Even though I have many Remingtons, several 1100's 870, double barrel etc., I want a either of the above mentioned.

Just as I was leaning toward one or the other, now I can't hardly find the Mossberg or the VM tactical except in zombie pink.

Any clue where I can get one. Also, is the Mossberg able to shoot as many different types of ammo types as the VM?

I do live in IL, but I think I can buy a longun in Indiana - with my Foid that is. Anyone know for sure?

I know too many questions, but I don't have anyone to discuss with!

Last edited by bitttorrrent; February 5, 2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old February 6, 2014, 02:12 AM   #2
bamaranger

me too

Bamaboy and I have been kicking the idea around of buying a semi for our local 3 gun league and have looked at both, but not bought anything.

The Mossy JM is attractive for the price. I read folks have issues,and several of our 3 gun pals are down on them. Yet the Breacher and pistol gripped models of the 930 that show up at our club matches, seem to run OK so far anyhow. What I'm seeing, thru my small window, is that somem JM's run and others don't, but you can eventually iron out the bugs if there is a problem.

The Rems are near if not twice the cost, but my small circle seems to have a better opinion on the Versa than the JM. There are 2 green Versa's at Gander in Florence AL now. No JM's that I've seen locally.

What I will probably do is buy a used 1100, a slug barrel and a mag extension and just go from there.
Old February 6, 2014, 06:25 PM   #3
thinktwice

I have a regular 930 Tactical with the breacher barrel. ( don't have any idea why Mossberg would put that thing on a civilian shotgun, I don't plan on breaching any doors for sure) Anyway I installed a + 2 mag extension. Now it will hold six in the tube and one in the chamber. You can get a +3 or +4 extension if you don't mind it being longer than the barrel. Getting back to the gun itself. It has shot everything I have put through it from low recoil shells to high brass buckshot and slugs. I thought that was one of Mossberg's selling points when they first came out with the 930. It's supposed to have a self regulating gas system. Not sure if I just got lucky and got a good one or not. I have a friend that also has a regular 930 for hunting, and he has never had a problem either. In my little group I don't know of anyone else that has one. I did watch some guy on a gun related TV program say they were 100% reliable with all buckshot/ slug's and high brass shells. Take that for what it's worth he could have been a Mossberg rep. Hope this helps.
Old February 7, 2014, 07:32 AM   #4
bitttorrrent

Thanks, for the info.

I did hear some early slight problems with some of the Mossbergs and some packaging problems with the Versa.

Now there is a Versamax Competition Tactical model out - different color and carbon extension tube..Versa Max® Competition Tactical but it retails for 1600.00!

I did find a few Versa max's online in the 1,000.00 range, but the Mossberg JM Pro's are still hard to find and seem to be sold out. No wonder if you get just as good function for half price.

I could just use my 1100, but I want it to cycle everything that I throw at it and don't want to start adding extention tubes etc. to that one. Its still cold out so I have some time, just trying to plan for the summer!