The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
oldguy870

Remington 870 Extraction problems - it is not the chamber.

I have 6 Remington 870 with a total of 8 factory barrels:

(4) Express guns with factory 18.5" police barrels
(1) Wingmaster with factory 28" barrel and factory defense barrel.
(1) Express with factory 18.5" barrel and factory 26" barrel.

Every single one has problems with Federal Walmart steel hulled ammo. These same guns run perfect with Winchester AA brass based shells. Three of the barrels have had the chambers recut and polished by a Remington repair center. I have done the AIPPI steel wool polish multiple times to each.

ALL STICK HAVE EXTRACTION PROBLEMS with steel hulled shells. Some barrels are worse than others. Typical failure rates are 5% to 25% depending on the barrel. My Benellis eat this ammo like candy.

I read the following post and did what the author recommended to all my barrels. The problem is solved. No extraction problems. Basically, the fools at Remington don't seem to mind shipping barrels with toolmarks that the steel rim catches on outside the chamber when it expands after firing. If you have a 870 with extraction problems, take a look at the ridges just outside the chamber. Steel shelled hull expanding into a steel barrel with ridges = stuck shell.

It is not the chamber. It is outside the chamber. Here is a post that explains the fix. It is not my post. I just did what it said and the problem was solved.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...d3ad88&start=0

Last edited by oldguy870; October 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:26 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

Link does not work for me...
Old October 29, 2012, 11:30 AM   #3
oldguy870

Should be okay now.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

I do that to every 870 I own before I put any rounds through it. The machine marks (both inside and outside the chamber) do seem to be the issue. It's a simple fix but I agree Remington should do this before the guns even ship. But, I'm not expecting that anytime soon with Freedom Group running the show....
Old October 29, 2012, 12:34 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Thanks OldGuy. I did the AIPI thing before my 870 was even fired, but it still hung up 2 or 3 time in the first few boxes and another couple of times around 1,000 shells. The first couple of hudred were with a new 18.5" barrel and the rest with a used 28" vent rib.

Neither have tool marks like the ones you described, but I am not surprised that some got through with them and its not just on the Express but some wingmasters.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:44 PM   #6
oldguy870

I have spent over a year trying to get my 870s working. I am not an 870 hater. I love the 870. I do, however, have a very low opinion of Remington as a company. Every time I go to the trap and skeet club, I see newbies slamming the buttstock of their 870s on the ground to extract rounds.

My Wingmaster actually had the worst case of these tool marks. It was one of the ones that I had the chamber recut. It still malfunctioned. Now, it works fine.

It is not the chamber, it is not the preservative. It is the tool marks + steel based shells.
Old October 29, 2012, 01:02 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

No doubt it is a common problem; especially with new guns with cheap ammunition and cheap ammo from WM is what newbies usually have (as well as many veteran shooters).