The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 20, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
BlindMansBluff

video of me shooting at range

check out my blog for video of me at the range

http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 20, 2009, 12:11 PM   #2
samurai30047

Dam decent shot

Congratulations on having your skill. A lot of sighted folks can't do what you do.
Old May 20, 2009, 02:59 PM   #3
BlindMansBluff

More Videos now posted to YouTube

I've posted all the videos to Youtube, a total of 3 have just posted today, one is from last week with my Friend Rex. and two are from today, please watch them and give me your thoughts, can I do anything better? safer? in the latest video, what am I doing wrong that causes my jams?

http://youtube.com/theblindtech

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 21, 2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Enoy21

That is awesome ! Thank you for this !!

Might I ask .... have you been blind since birth or was this something that has happened since then ?

Have you been a shooter for long or is it a relatively new hobby of yours ?
Old May 21, 2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

Cool Blindman

You handle the guns fine I reckon you need a Glock tho

Firstly, I reckon you should get your spotter to run a length of electrical tape down the center of the bench in front of where you shoot from, directly under the gun, aiming directly at the center of the target. Then, you can touch the tape and know the direction you have to aim the gun. That will stun onlookers, coz they won't know how you can be so close with your aim without being told. The spotter can then just give you tiny verbal adjustments.

Now, you know how both Amber & Rex kept having to say 'a little to the left'.... well, thats your stance.... your foot position. With the gun unloaded, stand as you do with the muzzle resting on the bench, put your gun up in the most naturlal grip and aim, the spotter will tell you where to correct your aim.... if you have to aim to the left, move your left foot back a tiny bit & get your right foot comfortable. Again, rest the muzzle on the bench, rais your gun to where it feels natural.... spotter again advises any corrections. Dont compensate by aiming the gun, move your feet. When you can rest the muzzle on the bench, then raise it quickly to the shooting (aim) position 3 times in a row, you have found the most natural stance for you. Feel the tape and learn the angle (the tape is aiming straight at the bullseye) and where your feet are in relation to the tape. This way, when you get to the range, the spotter puts the tape down for you.... you just feel the tape (direction) adjust your feet to your stance, with the gun empty, do the muzzle on the bench & raise to engage..... if your feet are correct and you use your most natural grip & level, you should be on target every time Once you have your stance right, load up and shoot. While learning your memory of the stance, you might get your spotter, when you have the stance right, tape a couple of heavy (lead?) ingots onto the floor at your toes, so you feel the tape, move your toes up to (don't kick them) the blocks, raise your gun and ask if you are on target..... After you have memorised the foot position, you can lose the lead blocks.

Also, it looks (might be the camera angle) like you have the gun at an angle to your arm. For a one handed hold, the center of the barrel should be in the same line as the center of your forearm, not the gun cocked off to the right (that is ok for a 2 handed hold) This could be part of your misfeeding problem (what type of gun was doing all that jamming? & what ammo?)

Lastly, I didn't like it that you were sweeping your left hand with the muzzle a couple of times, after you rack the slide, so just be aware of where your left hand goes after you rack. You could try racking with your left palm down on top of the slide, gripping the slide between the heel of your hand, 4 fingers wrapped over the slide, thumb pointing back at your right shoulder area, grip, pull back then let the slide go and brush (follow thrugh) with your left hand to your right forearm, so there is no way your left hand can get in front of the muzzle? Just for safety

Other than that, mate, you do great.... get your stance/feet right, dont aim the gun, aim your stance, so EVERY time you raise the gun, you will be spot on, nearly (maybe a little verbal adjustment) Maybe a laser would be a good learning aid? That way the spotter can tell you adjustments because they know EXACTLY where the barrel is pointing?

Good onya mate, look forward to hearing if this helps you at all, and how you get on....
Old May 21, 2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Shorts

Interesting stuff Gabe. Keep up the good work. I like Dingoboys suggestions on the stance. That may very well take care of those finer adjustments in the aim.

The only thing I winced at was watching you drop the slide on the Ruger using the left hand. I imagined catching a finger between the slide and the frame. I don't think it's because of your technique but rather mine. I drop the slide using my thumb of my strong hand. Pulling the slide back to lock on the 22/45 always catches the web of my hand the first time or two until I get use to handling it instead of the 1911.

Anyhow, keep the info coming.
Old May 21, 2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Sixer

Pretty awesome! It's hard to tell from the video... but could your right thumb be hitting the slide stop while you're shooting? That may be what is causing the FTFs... just a thought

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 22, 2009, 02:11 PM   #8
PhoenixConflagration

That is impressive. I'm sure many sighted people can't do as well. I can't imagine how you recover aim after each shot. If it were me, I'd be climbing up the target with every one.

Dingoboy's suggestions are nothing short of amazing. The tape line, the stance adjustments, and the laser to help your spotter just might take your shooting to the next level. Keep it up.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:40 AM   #9
Shadi Khalil

Awesome!

Question,

Why do you always shoot one handed?
Old May 23, 2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Re4mer

Its wonderful to see you getting into the sport. You are an inspiration to us all.
Old September 11, 2009, 06:53 PM   #11
BIKENUT06

thanks nice video