The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2008, 10:16 PM   #26
arizona98tj

Quote:
Most primers for reloading are silver. Remington primers are brass colored so this rule isn't 100%.
Winchester, at least their large and small pistol, are brass colored also. Haven't used their rifle so can't say what they look like.
Old July 4, 2008, 12:02 AM   #27
PhilA

brass galore at my range

Shot my Garand yesterday evening, and my range was littered with .45ACP casings. Had the place to myself, and ended up bringing home close to 200 pieces of .45 brass.
Old July 4, 2008, 11:27 AM   #28
BntBrl

I went to the redneck range yesterday (in the Nat Forest) and there was handfuls of 7.62 X 54R, 7.62 x 39 (brass with boxer primer), .40. .45 acp, and a lot of 9mm luger. Of course 38 spl and 357 mag. I guess no one picks it up.

How much is brass a pound now?
Old July 4, 2008, 03:19 PM   #29
Crosshair

Quote:
How much is brass a pound now?
IIRC my local scrap dealer buys it for $1 a pound or so. If it is reloadable bras it is worth more as once fired.
Old July 4, 2008, 10:07 PM   #30
BntBrl

i probably could have picked up a 5 gal bucket of brass. i found a mcdonalds bag full of just fired brass. most with the factory packaging. shotgun shells everywhere. pigs.
Old July 4, 2008, 11:08 PM   #31
mikenbarb

Just an FYI everyone, I made some calls and found out that alot of people bring "scrap" brass casings to the recycling yard for scrap sale. I talked to a few of the guys that work at them and they were more than happy to save it to sell it back to me for .25c a lb. over what they paid(around 1.25 lb.). The one place gets about a 55 gal drum every three weeks or so. You might want to call the scrap yards by the ranges in your area and check it out. It seems that alot of range brass from my area goes to them. WOW, How stupid can people be??? Plus you can get other cool goodies there that you come across.
Old July 5, 2008, 02:16 AM   #32
BntBrl

I only picked up the mcdonalds bag of good casings. They are all good, at least looking at them initially. The other brass I guess I could have picked up to pay for my gas up there. I dont know how much a 5 gallon bucket of brass weighs but its more than nothing. I estimate the paper bag weighs 8 or so pounds or more.

I went up there goofing off as I sometimes do. I like to drive up the gravel road into the mountains and look around. Theres some nice views and quite often deer to look at.
Old July 5, 2008, 06:40 AM   #33
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
My My, Some People Are Wasteful
NO DOUBT! I have friends who spend nearly as much time or more just grubbing around on the ground to find brass as they do spend actually shooting! Now maybe if they invest more time in shooting, they would be as good at shooting as they would be grubbing for brass. I am of the impression that the goal of shooting isn't so much how well you can hit the target, but how much brass you can take home from the range...based on the amount of time spent on the endeavor. For me, that sounds very wasteful of time.
Old July 5, 2008, 07:41 PM   #34
BntBrl

I shoot at lunch time. I do collision repair and am a bodyman. This means that I can spend as much time at lunch as I pretty much wish to without fear of getting fired every day. I spend about and hour at the range and the extra time driving there and leaving a few minutes early. Basically I spend an hour and 15 to 20 minutes a day going tothe range. I shoot the whole time I am there unless theres someone interesting to talk to for a minute. Theres lots of interesting people at the range, but I shoot the whole time. When they call cease fire and theres no fondling of firearms I will look through brass if theres nothing else to do. I picked up brass at the Forest cause I was just goofing off walking around. Me walking around isnt going to hurt me at all lol... I am surprised that I can bend over and pick up something off the ground without getting winded and out of breath lol.