The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 25, 2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Duzell

mosin ammo brands, whats your favorite ?

personally like the match grade best.

but i recently found these mfj rounds and they seem constant, but non reloadable. less powder that burns hotter 172 grain fmj

ive used the bear and its accurate enough at 50 yards but if you plan to distance shoot, go for match grade or at least a lighter bullet

winchester was one i sued for a while till it started getting dangerous, with the rear primer failing, its a repeated issue ive seen on a few forums, so i chalk it up to bad quality control or something. but when it works its a fun round to shoot
Old June 26, 2013, 03:05 AM   #2
Skarekrow88

For plinking, which is what I use my mosin for 95% of the time, I use Silver Bear or Brown Bear, sometimes Wolf. All work just fine and are accurate enough for me at 100m. For hunting I just grab whatever SP 7.62x54R is available at the LGS. If there isn't any of that I'll just use the Bear ammo. Its not like I'm hunting elk with it, just hogs, armadillos, possums, and the like.
Old June 26, 2013, 03:12 PM   #3
stubbicatt

So far I have used the milsurp that has been around, and some Wolf brand brass cased ammo I bought years ago, and for which I am beginning to handload.

I suspect that the days of inexpensive surplus are largely behind us now, and if I should wish to continue to shoot this ammunition, I will need to develop handloads for it.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
hammie

I have never fired a factory loaded 7.62x54R. The brass, which I've been using for handloads, is Norma.

I don't mean for this answer to be snarky. My point is that I agree with Mr. "Stubbicatt":

The time for cheap mosin ammo and especially cheap mosin nagant rifles may be drawing to a close. If I run across another mosin in good condition and at a reasonable price, I will likely take it home.
Old June 26, 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
jersurf101

Russian surplus works fine for my needs with the mosin. I have used Bulgarian as well.

I am not a big fan of wolf. I had to beat the wolf cases out of the gun. Nothing I have run wolf ammo in has liked it all that much.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Duzell

on the note of cheap mosins may be going, id like to point out a few company's have stated they will start manufacturing NEW mosins, they will be available for 167$ usd. but i dont think these new mosins will be released till near the end of the year or even till 2014. i am actually looking forward to this, to see if quality improves on the new mosin nagants

has anyone found a hollow point round for the mosin?

and i know for a fact the hornaday rounds are good, i just forgot to mention them.
Old June 27, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I've shot mostly milsup in all my MN's ans the PSL, with the Czech being the most accurate. The only modern ammo i've shot is the Olympia and it wasn't any more accurate than the commie stuff.
Old June 28, 2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Skarekrow88

Quote:
on the note of cheap mosins may be going, id like to point out a few company's have stated they will start manufacturing NEW mosins, they will be available for 167$ usd. but i dont think these new mosins will be released till near the end of the year or even till 2014. i am actually looking forward to this, to see if quality improves on the new mosin nagants
For $167 I would definitely feel comfortable giving one a shot. I'd also feel more comfortable modifying and altering one of these than my original

Quote:
has anyone found a hollow point round for the mosin?
I have never come across any in my time of owning a 7.62x54R rifle. I would buy some if I found any though for sure
Old June 28, 2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Duzell

- totally agree, but i have no issue modifying mine. once you start its actually hard to stop imo. mines currently being setup for target shooting at long distance , hopefully this sunday.but i feel these new mosins would be a way to get those who want to keep the old ones historic into sporting the mosin nagant as the new ones have no relic status

-thats what im thinking, i know if ones around it would be interesting, but i can foresee some issues like with feeding, as it would be lighter in front and could cause a mis alignment while feeding
Old June 29, 2013, 11:21 AM   #10
tahunua001

my favorite ammo for a mosin nagant? 7.62x25mm tokarev
Old June 30, 2013, 02:55 AM   #11
Chowder

The kind that comes in a big tin that I get to peel open.
Old July 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Duzell

i just ordered some wolf, lets see how that works
Old July 4, 2013, 02:19 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Handloads from my own bench seem to be the best.

Quote:
winchester was one i sued for a while till it started getting dangerous, with the rear primer failing...
I'm glad it wasn't the forward primer that failed. Then we'd have some serious problems to address.
Old July 5, 2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Duzell

it was a serious issue, joking aside. it left the bullet down my barrel, had to use my cleaning kit rod to extract bullet, and pliers to extract the casing.

and if it happens dont cycle another round in, because if you have a round stuck , a round down the barrel poses a danger, if you try firing another round down
Old July 5, 2013, 06:44 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
on the note of cheap mosins may be going, id like to point out a few company's have stated they will start manufacturing NEW mosins, they will be available for 167$ usd. but i dont think these new mosins will be released till near the end of the year or even till 2014.
Really? That's interesting. Who?

I wonder if you can even make that complex bolt alone, for that money.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 6, 2013, 02:05 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I wonder if you can even make that complex bolt alone, for that money.
Absolutely. It was designed to be dirt cheap to manufacture. The bolt is much simpler to machine, than it appears.

Besides... you're paying pennies on the dollar for labor, if you have it built in one of the com-bloc facilities that are now scrambling to pump out cars, rifles, ammunition, and everything else the world wants.

...Such as the Volkswagen Tiguan - a.k.a. Skoda Yeti - a.k.a. 50% mark up on a Czech/Kazak-built car that's already profitable in its home countries, before it's exported and "badge engineered" into more costly models for massive profit.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:02 PM   #17
Duzell

supposedly century arms and another russian company
Old July 6, 2013, 06:24 PM   #18
tahunua001

I doub't very much that anyone would make new mosin nagants.

rotary and double stack box mags are more space efficient and make for easier loading.

the bolt is fairly simple but not any design that offers any advantage over the prevalent mauser style bolts of modern rifles.

the design calls for a buttstock that does not drop much below the the receiver and more weight up front, this helps prevent upward recoil impulse. however monte carlo or other sporting style stocks drop quite a bit lower than the receiver and remove a lot of weight from the muzzle. thereby creating a great bit of upward recoil impulse which is why a number of the people that go to ATI and boyds stocks claim that it increases recoil.

then there is the quote price.
$170 for a brand new rifle built on modern materials? even if the materials were donated I find it hard to believe that a company could build one for $170 no less sell it for that price. the Ruger american uses a very simple design and uses a lot of plastic to offset costs and still costs $350 to the general public.

I think someone's been selling you a pipedream duzell. I hope I'm wrong, I hope there really is a new, factory Mosin nagant inspired rifle that hopefully has better QC than the military rifles, already has that comes in a number of caliber options and comes already setup to accept a scope and is an affordable rifle but I just do not see any way of it happening.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:41 PM   #19
Duzell

not sure of cost or what materials, was just something i got from century arms, thought it was worth mentioning. They may be less quality than the current mosins available, maybe using some kind of stamped steal methods?