The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 12, 2011, 03:30 PM   #51
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Can I judge them for not using the red husks?
Only if they are trying to cram red husks in their 20 gauge...

Brent
Old August 12, 2011, 03:33 PM   #52
Rifleman1776

Depends on which way it is pointing.
Old August 12, 2011, 05:46 PM   #53
LSnSC

I do... kinda.

If some guy shows up on the skeet or trap range with a tacticool shotgun. I tend to keep and eye on them to see if they know what theyre doing. If they dont, depending on their demeanor, I may offer to help or steer way clear. On the reverse if some guy shows up with a Seitz or Pgun or Kgun, I like to watch and see if they can shoot up the the guns potential... Some can some cant.

I will say the biggest snobs Ive met are trapshooters. Usually old retired farts shooting in the mid to upper 20's, yet all used to be some kind of champion, and gossip more than any group of old bitties you'll ever meet.

Sporting clays shooters seem to be the most reasonable. I think its because a sadistic target setter can humble the best of shots and perfect scores are non existant.

For all you guys crowing about 23's, a skeet/ trap match actually starts after the first 100 straight. They guys that are really good humble us mere mortals...
Old August 12, 2011, 06:39 PM   #54
atomicsaladbowl

I Try to shoot trap every weekend and since i got a semi-auto i have been meaning to try doing some skeet shooting.

I havent been shooting trap that long but im not bad at it, I started shooting with a winchester pump 20 gauge and did ok then bought an old 1968 winchester 1400 mkii 20 gauge (got it real cheap cause no one wants a 20 gauge) and i do pretty well with it, aiming to beat my best of 21 out of 25, I think that with a 12 gauge I could definitely improve a lot more, so thats next on my list.

Anywho, i am somewhat of a regular at the range i go to, and a couple a-holes have criticized my cheap old shotguns, and thought i was an idiot for buying cheap federal ammo from wal-mart, but i don't really care, its just a fun thing to do on the weekends that i enjoy a lot, and to be honest, i shoot better then 50 percent of guys sporting a 12 gauge over-under that probably cost over a grand, and i do it with a 20 gauge!

When I am at the range, i do judge people not based on their gun but how safe they are and their technique and how they handle their shotgun, I have seen some real retards trying to shoot, failing to point the gun downrange at all times, stuff like that, and those are the people you have to watch out for, and sometimes they are holding expensive guns as well!
Old August 12, 2011, 07:07 PM   #55
Boats

I have to say that I have a mild case of "reverse bias."

All three of my shotguns are "fighting shotguns." The closest I have come to hunting with any of them is staring at the romanticized scene stamped into the receiver of an old Ithaca M37 I have. On a lark with a buddy of mine who is into doubles I have shot skeet a couple of times with the M37, but that was only because the barrel was long enough to not overly handicap me nor get derided as a tacitcool noisemaker. Never even done it in camo, nor with my Mossy 590A1 with its unfashionably large magazine tube, but got snickered at just the same as if I had.

So I actually have a mild disdain for the trap/skeet shooters at my club, with their engraved steel and polished up blue and walnut fowling pieces, some which cost more than many a used car does. They remind me of the retired golfing crowd that my Dad hangs with, as that "sport" is his past time. They too are heavily gear oriented and fashion picky to boot.

I have no time for their overt snobbery. Especially from a group of "gentlemen" who wouldn't score well at all, or die of a heart attack, if they actually had to scoot and shoot, which is what I do with my shotguns in three gun. I even do it from time to time with a Stoeger Coach Gun, just to see what it is like to fire two and load two on the move. More time for them at the trap range I guess.

FWIW, I like sporting clays the best, but our club doesn't have the acreage for a proper course. At least the one time I got to do it elsewhere, varied target acquisition was the name of the game rather than repeatable shooting consistency at a totally known distance.
Old August 15, 2011, 03:53 PM   #56
markj

Quote:
Can I judge them for not using the red husks?

Only if they are trying to cram red husks in their 20 gauge
Dang, I got corn on my mind. I meant them red hulls instead ofg the green ones folks use for reloading... lol
Old August 15, 2011, 05:19 PM   #57
zippy13

I'm old school enough that a red AA 20-ga pops up in my reloads from time to time; however, they are getting pretty scarce. I can't remember exactly when the industry standardized 20-ga shells to yellow (for safety reasons), but it was a quite few years ago.
Old August 15, 2011, 05:56 PM   #58
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I have no time for their overt snobbery. Especially from a group of "gentlemen" who wouldn't score well at all, or die of a heart attack, if they actually had to scoot and shoot, which is what I do with my shotguns in three gun.
That and the rest of your post evidences your personal bias against those of us who have reached retirement years and that sounds to me, Boats, like a snobbery.
Old August 15, 2011, 06:03 PM   #59
PJR

I think it was in the 60's when SAAMI agreed that all 20 gauge shells should be yellow to prevent 12/20 and less common 20/28 bursts. However, this agreement is for American-made shells only. While many European makers do make them yellow for sale in the North American market I have seen 20 gauge shells outside of the U.S. that weren't yellow.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:30 PM   #60
oneounceload

Quote:
I have no time for their overt snobbery. Especially from a group of "gentlemen" who wouldn't score well at all, or die of a heart attack, if they actually had to scoot and shoot, which is what I do with my shotguns in three gun.
Some of us don't HAVE to scoot and shoot, nor do we only view shotguns from some zombie/SD view point - as you obviously do - it seems you are completely unaware of other aspects of shotgunning, yet have no issue acting like a snob

Please tell me where you think you'll need three fighting shotguns and just who are you going to fight? The zombies from your video games?

Please.............
Old August 15, 2011, 08:18 PM   #61
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Closed, due to snobbishness....
Closed Thread