The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 21, 2000, 08:58 PM   #1
K-9

Is there less wear and tear using lead or jacketed ammunition in handguns made from 1920-1960? Does it matter at all?
Thanks.

------------------
"Until that time,Eustus,until that time."-from Soldier In The Rain
Old September 22, 2000, 07:15 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

K-9, I don't believe it matters. Lead will sometimes leave deposits that have to be cleaned out but I personally don't believe that anyone can shoot a handgun enough to wear out the barrel no matter which type of bullets they use. George
Old September 22, 2000, 12:14 PM   #3
Dangus

Yep, the current issue Beretta is the most tested military firearm in history. I'm not sure exactly how many rounds were fired through it, but the amount was staggering, like over 1 million I believe. If that didn't kill the barrel, not much is gonna.

------------------
The Alcove

I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

The Bill of Rights is a document of brilliance, a document of wisdom, and it is the ultimate law, spoken or not, for the very concept of a society that holds liberty above the desire for ever greater power. -Me
Old September 22, 2000, 01:48 PM   #4
Gunslinger

I've heard the old tale that jacketed bullets will wear out a barrel for years. However, after having worn out several guns over the years, it has been my experience that, in a quality gun with deep grooves, the gun itself will wear out long before the riflings will.
In a lower qualtiy gun with poor (shallow) riflings initialy from the factory this may be true. But then those guns are seldom tack drivers to begin with.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!