The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 9, 2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Stick Man

Thoughts on Leupold VX-2 1-4x20?

Looking at getting a new low power variable, prefer it go be in the $300 range. The Leupold VX-2 1-4 looks good, but I hear a lot about it being overpriced and not much of a step up from economy models. Thoughts on that? If I don't get the Leupold I imagine I'll go with a Nikon Monarch 3 1-4 because I hear a lot of good about it, but I'm more interested in the VX-2 because it's lighter and I'm trying to save ounces.
For a Winchester Featherweight Compact, 308.
Old July 10, 2016, 06:39 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

It's hard to compare it to an "economy" model when it's given with a lifetime warranty to who ever has it in their possession. You don't even need a receipt to get the warranty honored. Also, when Leupold was naming all their scopes VX1,2, etc, with each new model the last 3 became a 2 and a 2 became a 1, etc. The current VX2 is still an very, very good scope and to even think of it as comparable to an economy scope is ludicrous. I'm not saying there aren't other scopes out there comparable to the one you're talking about, I'm simply saying I'd consider that scope to be a very good scope in anyone's book.
Old July 10, 2016, 07:03 PM   #3
smee78

Leupold a good scope, I have one of the VX-2 scopes on a rifle and love it. Plus with a warranty as good as this one I'm not worried about any problems in the future. It is good in low light and is rugged enough for my 7.62X39 AR. I consider it a great buy for the price.
Old July 10, 2016, 07:41 PM   #4
turtlehead

I have a VX1 3-9x40. It's my favorite scope. Lightweight. Great reticle.

Had Leupold reset the parallax distance to what I wanted.
Old July 11, 2016, 05:52 AM   #5
bamaranger

1-4x

I'm running two Leupold 1-4x scopes, but none of mine are the more recent "VX-2" models. My scopes reside on more moderately powered carbines of one description or another, but all were selected with an eye towards saving size and weight, just as you describe.

My dealings with Leupold have all been positive. I've had several scopes in for reticle changes, and their customer service folks have been great.. The scopes came back in a short turn around time as well. Too, though I've sent scopes in for reticle swaps, I've never had one go bad and require service.....a quick count shows 10 Leupolds in the stable.