The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 6, 2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Photon Guy

So some of the posts have been really helpful for rifles

Some of the posts here have been really helpful for rifles and for what good rifle companies might be. Forget all the big name commercial brands such as Winchester, Remington, Marlin, even Browning. They're all good but with some of the posts here and from conferring at gun shops I've learned of brands that are better, more high end, but with a higher price tag. From internet research I used to think Steyr Mannlicher was a top brand and they're good but here I've learned of other brands that could rival or even bypass Steyr Mannlicher. Brands such as Dakota Arms or Cooper for instance, although they probably have a similar or higher price tag.
Old June 6, 2016, 01:19 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

"...for what good rifle companies might be."

Define "good". When I worked in a gun shop a while back, we had some great customers who bought nothing but Weatherbys. Others wouldn't touch anything not made in Germany, or hand built in England, or custom made by one or another small shop.

So did those guns shoot better? Did the owners take more game? Well, maybe, but some never took their guns hunting, a few never fired them. They bought those high ticket guns for the same reason some ladies shell out thousands of bucks for a Hermes purse - bragging rights.

Nor, unfortunately, does high price always mean high quality or functional perfection or even the best accuracy, though it should mean more consistent quality. Even if one has the money to buy the top end, it is always better to buy what you like and what works best for you. And what you will use. I have never seen the point of shelling out thousands of dollars for a rifle that will sit in a gun cabinet because it is too pretty to take out, while that beat up, plastic-stocked Remington brings home the meat. Except for bragging points.

Jim
Old June 6, 2016, 02:03 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Higher price tags mean nothing. Don't buy stuff because you think high prices means high quality. Cadillac's have high price tags, but are exactly the same as a Chevy(also high priced) under the paint.
The big name commercial brands are all pretty much the same. Lot of 'em(like Browning) are marketing based on the name too. And have been for years. That doesn't mean smaller shops like Dakota Arms or Cooper are any better.
Old June 6, 2016, 02:05 PM   #4
jmr40

Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Browning etc. are all production rifles. They all offer several models ranging from top end, down to budget rifles. Styer, Sako and other brands do the same. I've owned, or at least shot all of the brands above. The best of the Styer's or Sako's are no better than the best of the others. The budget guns offered by all of the above tend to shoot every bit as well. They just don't have the finer finishes and other details. Often plastic parts are substituted for machined steel that would on the high end models.

There are some smaller companies such as Montana, Cooper, Dakota, etc., that are really semi-customs. I'll be honest, I've never ventured into that type of rifle. They look very nice, and I'm certain they shoot well. But not enough for me to justify the cost.

Lots of folks look at Kimber as one of the high end rifles. Don't get me wrong, I own and like Kimbers. But they are really in the same category as Remington, Winchester, Ruger, and Browning. Their rifles aren't much, if any more expensive than the top end offerings from those companies. They are just now cataloging a budget version of their rifle, but I've yet to see one. Nor have I read any reports of them from anyone who has used one.

With Kimber you are paying a small premium for the weight reduction, not better quality than Remington, Winchester etc. If someone wants a 5 lb rifle they are truly a bargain at about $1,200. Anything else at or near that weight is going to be a NULA,( New Ultralight Arms) that sells for $3,000+ or a true custom that would cost $3000-$4,000 to build.
Old June 6, 2016, 02:15 PM   #5
dgludwig

If you want a better finish and a higher level of workmanship on any firearm, there is a price to pay. Whether the higher price is justified is up to the individual, but don't kid yourself: higher prices generally reflect a more intensive, skilled labor investment and that not only costs more money but usually results in a "better" firearm, at least in an aesthetic, if subjective, sense.
Old June 6, 2016, 03:38 PM   #6
SSA

I grew up believing that a rifle was supposed to look like a Winchester 70. My Model 70 30/06 has functioned perfectly for about 20 years now, and it looks just right. So, as far as I can tell, there is no better rifle than the Winchester 70 30/06.
Old June 6, 2016, 04:31 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

Mine is a 270, but otherwise, everything that SSA said, applies to me as well.
Old June 6, 2016, 08:17 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

With today's lathes, mills, shapers and drill presses having greater precision than of yesteryear, tight-group capability can be had at relatively low prices.

What makes costs higher, generally, is fit and finish and the quality of both the wood of the stock and the proper fitting in the bedding.

I once had a guided tour during a visit to Bo Clerke's barrel making operation in Raton. He told me that they turned out some 160 barrels per week for .17, .204 and .22 calibers. Bore tolerance was one-ten-thousandth of an inch.

I didn't ask who were his customers, but at some 8,000 per year, there had to be many non-custom-rifle buyers. Some, from ads I read, were after-market for such as the Ruger 10/22.
Old June 7, 2016, 09:40 AM   #9
Mauser69

My Winchester Model 70 Featherweight (.30-06), Remington 700 BDL from the 70s (.22-250), and Sako Finnbear from the 70s (.270) are all fantastic firearms with wonderful fit and finish and outstanding accuracy.

The worst disappointment I have had is my Steyr Mannlicher from the 70s - it was beautiful on the shelf, but it is very painful to shoot, and the toy-grade crappy plastic began breaking within 5 years. That terrible gun wasn't worth even half the price of a standard American rifle, but it cost much more!
Old June 7, 2016, 02:35 PM   #10
Photon Guy

Quote:
Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Browning etc.
From what I know about Ruger their forte is handguns, specifically revolvers. Anything made by Ruger should be good though, although I've had problems with some of my Rugers.
Old June 7, 2016, 02:39 PM   #11
Photon Guy

Quote:
So did those guns shoot better? Did the owners take more game? Well, maybe, but some never took their guns hunting, a few never fired them. They bought those high ticket guns for the same reason some ladies shell out thousands of bucks for a Hermes purse - bragging rights.

Nor, unfortunately, does high price always mean high quality or functional perfection or even the best accuracy, though it should mean more consistent quality. Even if one has the money to buy the top end, it is always better to buy what you like and what works best for you. And what you will use. I have never seen the point of shelling out thousands of dollars for a rifle that will sit in a gun cabinet because it is too pretty to take out, while that beat up, plastic-stocked Remington brings home the meat. Except for bragging points.
Well here is what I spent seven grand on.
http://108.174.112.211/wp-content/up...lo-framed1.jpg

I've only fired it once since bullets are $20 apiece although I could imagine taking it hunting if I ever hunt anything really big such as Elephant or Hippo but I bought it because I want something very powerful and for collection purposes.
Old June 7, 2016, 02:46 PM   #12
Photon Guy

Quote:
Lots of folks look at Kimber as one of the high end rifles. Don't get me wrong, I own and like Kimbers. But they are really in the same category as Remington, Winchester, Ruger, and Browning. Their rifles aren't much, if any more expensive than the top end offerings from those companies. They are just now cataloging a budget version of their rifle, but I've yet to see one. Nor have I read any reports of them from anyone who has used one.
I thought Kimber excelled in handguns although I do know they make rifles too. I've done research which includes speaking to people at gun shops and they tell me that Steyr Mannlicher is a high end brand and that its generally of higher quality than Winchester, Remington, or even Browning. I've made some posts on this forum about Steyr Mannlicher rifles and people here have claimed that other high end companies such as Dakota Arms and Cooper can be just as good or better. One of the downsides I've heard about Steyr Mannlicher rifles is that their synthetic stock is not of a really good material.
Old June 7, 2016, 02:57 PM   #13
Photon Guy

By good I mean high quality. I used to think Remingtons were really good but I've heard that as of recently their products have plunged in terms of quality. You can get a Savage Arms rifle for much less than a Remington and it will be a much better gun. That's what this guy who worked at a gun shop told me, Cabela's to be exact. I asked around about that and I got further confirmation that Remington does not make good quality products like it used to. Older Remingtons are good but the newer ones are junk. This is a shame as from what I heard about the Remington company its got quite a history. Elirphalet Remington supposedly made guns at home that were better than the commercial brands. So with his home made guns being better than the main brands, Elirphalet went on to start a big business of his own and that's how Remington became a big commercial brand itself. But that was in the good old days.

Now, as for my experience with Remington. I've got a Remington 870 which I got back in 2001 shortly after the terrorist attacks so I've had it for close to 15 years. As of now although it functions just fine it has rusted on the outside. Also, two years ago I got a Remington 750 in .30-06 and after keeping it in my safe for a few months it had rusted on the inside so the chamber wouldn't open and I had to take it in to get all the rust cleaned out so it could be opened and safely fired. Other than that I do have a Remington 700 in .375 H&H and I have had no problems with it so far, although I don't use it all that much. Also, around Christmas last year I got a Bushmaster in 5.56 which from what I understand is now owned by Remington. I've used it quite a bit and I've had no problems with it although I do have to keep it well oiled and I have to keep a sheath around it to keep it from rusting.
Old June 7, 2016, 02:59 PM   #14
603Country

Simple fact - if you want 'the good stuff', it will be expensive. That goes for cars, rifles, woodworking tools, optics, trophy wives, and many other things. You can assuredly get 'good enough' for a low or reasonable price, if that will satisfy you, and it does satisfy most of us.
Old June 7, 2016, 03:09 PM   #15
Photon Guy

Quote:
Simple fact - if you want 'the good stuff', it will be expensive. That goes for cars, rifles, woodworking tools, optics, trophy wives, and many other things. You can assuredly get 'good enough' for a low or reasonable price, if that will satisfy you, and it does satisfy most of us.
Not necessarily. If you know how to find a good bargain you can get good stuff without completely breaking the bank. I got a Ruger Redhawk for a grand, and while a grand is certainly a lot of money if you ask me a Redhawk is worth more than that. With my experience with Ruger, you pay good money but their products aren't outrageously priced like Kimber or particularly Wilson Combat. So with Ruger you get what you pay for and more. I also got a Remington 700 for much lower than what I would've ordinarily had to pay for it since it had been used as a demonstration rifle to promote the product and thus was considered used. Although it was still quite new, it had only been used for display and if it had been fired only once or twice so you could still call it a new gun but since it was considered used I payed a used price for it. And as people here have said, don't fall into the trap of thinking that if you're paying a high price you're getting something good. I know a few things about sales. There's the technique called "foaming the top" where you increase sales by actually bringing up the price. The idea is that people think if they pay lots of money they're getting something good. "Its expensive so its got to be good," is a common train of thought in our world, and people can be taken advantage of by that.

And as for a good wife, if she's marrying you for money than in my opinion she is marrying you for the wrong reason and is not a good wife.
Old June 7, 2016, 04:45 PM   #16
Mauser69

If your guns are rusting, you need to learn a LOT more about firearm maintenance and storage. Until you do, I would suggest that spending more than $10 on another gun would be quite unwise.
Old June 7, 2016, 04:54 PM   #17
Photon Guy

Quote:
If your guns are rusting, you need to learn a LOT more about firearm maintenance and storage. Until you do, I would suggest that spending more than $10 on another gun would be quite unwise.
My Smith & Wesson that I've had for over 17 years now does not and never has had any rust whatsoever. My Rugers never had any rust and neither has my Marlin or even my Hawk 12 Gauge which is a cheap gun that I wouldn't buy but in this case it was given to me. The only guns that I've had rust problems with are the Remingtons and while as of now I am storing my guns much better, I've got a much better safe and I've got a mini dehumidifier in the safe and I've even got a full size dehumidifier constantly running in the room where the safe is but even before that when I didn't have the good safe and the dehumidifiers the only guns that rusted were the Remingtons.
Old June 7, 2016, 05:21 PM   #18
603Country

In another post, you attached a picture of a rifle you had paid $7000 for, if I remember correctly. Why'd you spend that kind of money on a rifle and then start a chat like this one.

I put the trophy wife comment in the earlier post mostly for humor. As for rifles, if you are talking Ruger, Remington, and a few others, you are totally missing my point on buying the 'good stuff'. Get a first class action, barrel, stock, trigger, and gunsmith and have a rifle made to your exacting accuracy specifications and see what the cost will run. Not cheap.
Old June 7, 2016, 06:01 PM   #19
SSA

Quote:
That's what this guy who worked at a gun shop told me
I knew it.
Old June 7, 2016, 09:42 PM   #20
Photon Guy

Quote:
In another post, you attached a picture of a rifle you had paid $7000 for, if I remember correctly. Why'd you spend that kind of money on a rifle and then start a chat like this one.
Why not?
Old June 7, 2016, 09:43 PM   #21
Photon Guy

Quote:
I knew it.
You're taking what I said out of context. I would suggest going back and reading the entire post.
Old June 8, 2016, 12:31 AM   #22
Pathfinder45

Clearly, Photon, you have deeper pockets than many, so you can afford whatever rifle you want. If I wanted a really nice bolt-action rifle and the price was irrelevant, I would still be getting a model 70 Winchester, and it would have a walnut stock. But there would still be some questions to resolve: Will it be new, or pre-64, or pre-War? If it is to be a newer version it would be either the Classic Sporter or the Alaskan. It would have to be a 30-'06 or 270 Winchester. But if it was to be a pre-64 or pre-War, there might be some other acceptable calibers. But, yeah, if I had 7 grand to blow on a rifle, the only thing I would be sure about is that it would be a Winchester. If not a model 70, then it would likely be an older 1886 or 71.

Last edited by Pathfinder45; June 8, 2016 at 12:35 AM. Reason: That darn spell correction.....
Old June 8, 2016, 08:13 AM   #23
kraigwy

Some people "confer a lot with gun store clerks".

So do I, and I know guns store clerks as well as other sales people push products that wont normally sell them selves.

I've seen gun clerks raving about the merits of a $2900 M1 Garand, but I know Garands, the rifle he's pushing wouldn't be allowed on the racks of Garands at the CMP with their $630 rifles.

Sorry, I don't do recommendations from clerks, gun store's or any other saleman.

You want a $7000 shooter, good, get one. Pay $500 for the rifle, and $6450 for ammo and learn to shoot it. The weakest link to any rifle is the guy pulling the trigger.

Wait, $500 + $6450 is only $6950. That's not common core math, that's a hint to set aside $50 and buy cleaning gear and lubes to keep your rifle from Rusting.

I have a Model 70 Win in 375 H&H I paid $235 for in 1974. I spent a lot of thine hunting with it in the salt spray of Southern Alaska, (Afognak Island to be more accurate). That rifle is 42 years old and doesn't have a speck of rust on it. Why??? Because I always carried a can of "RIG", and kept it coated.

I was putting on a CMP Clinic/Match one year. The match was won buy a guy who the night before went to town and bought a Mosin for $119 and some cheap surplus ammo.

He didn't win the match because the Mosin was better then the Garands, Springfields and others, he won by sticking to fundamentals that the Garand and Springfield shooters neglected.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 8, 2016, 09:26 AM   #24
HiBC

Well said,Kraig
Its a really good question to ask"What does "Quality"mean?
Depends on the customer.
I'm twisted in that I just don't get any satisfaction out of buying a new,factory gun.More likely,I'll get buyers remorse.

Most factory rifles are good,functional tools.And very often,their owners have a regard for them.Most people do not like to hear anyone badmouth wife,kid,dog,or the firearm they use.

You show me your pride and joy,Remington,Savage,Mossberg,Ruger,Weatherby,Grandpa's Springfield he sporterized,I'm going to ask "Does it shoot for you?" Then I'm going to say "Nice rifle"...And with sincerity.

The military and a lot of other folks have chosen Remington 700's.
Out of the box Savages outshoot a lot of really expensive rifles.I have not shot any Rugers lately,but the early 77's that I shot were accurate.

My problem is,not any of those,even the exotics like a weatherby or a Sako,give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I have to start with some receiver or action,be it a Mexican Mauser,Springfield,Rolling block,cigar box of Ithaca 37 parts....a 98/09,or some Colt 1911 slide,then I have a vision of what I want,and I build it.

I have a Model 70 Laredo,and a Garand.And a 308 DPMS.Those were bought already built.

But its all in the eye of the beholder.Most folks might not give $200 for my MexMauser .257.I just smile and say I'm not looking to sell it.I can't buy a rifle to replace it.

BTW,as I remember it,Kimber started out filling the niche for a quality,grown up,wood and steel,very accurate .22 rimfire. The guaranteed 1 MOA at 100 yds with good ammo.I guess from what BartB wrote here,they don't make that good of .22 ammo anymore.
But,thats what I remember the Kimber for.
They appeal to folks who get off on the Anschutz and Win 52,but in a sporter trim.
Old June 8, 2016, 03:13 PM   #25
Photon Guy

Quote:
Clearly, Photon, you have deeper pockets than many, so you can afford whatever rifle you want. If I wanted a really nice bolt-action rifle and the price was irrelevant, I would still be getting a model 70 Winchester, and it would have a walnut stock. But there would still be some questions to resolve: Will it be new, or pre-64, or pre-War? If it is to be a newer version it would be either the Classic Sporter or the Alaskan. It would have to be a 30-'06 or 270 Winchester. But if it was to be a pre-64 or pre-War, there might be some other acceptable calibers. But, yeah, if I had 7 grand to blow on a rifle, the only thing I would be sure about is that it would be a Winchester. If not a model 70, then it would likely be an older 1886 or 71.
Now days I've got more money than I used to but I still don't have deep enough pockets to get any rifle I want on a whim. The 7 grand rifle I got that was a one time splurge that I was able to get since I had recently come by a good amount of cash, but its not something that I come by on a regular basis nor am I able to buy rifles like that on a regular basis. But I had wanted a big safari grade rifle for a long long time and I had the opportunity to get one. As for spending 2 grand on a rifle that would be something I would have to save up for, not something I could do right away.

I do know what its like to buy guns on a tight budget. When I got my first gun I was working as a lifeguard and I bought it on the pay that you get when you're a lifeguard. I really wanted a good quality gun though so I saved up and bought a Smith & Wesson, not a Taurus which I had at first considered buying. Also, the fact that I had to go through a 9 month waiting period to get the gun really gave me time to save up for it.