The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 5, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Lowcountry Shooter

Eddystone 1917, 8-17 Stamp, SN 4

This rifle is blued and is in about 90%+ condition. From what I have been able to find,the Eddystone Model of 1917 was first manufactured in August of 1917 and this division of Remington made close to 1.35 million of these guns. With so many of these guns available, does this low serial number (4th one made at Eddystone) add any significant value to the gun? I was going to use the gun for deer hunting with iron sights but now I just may keep it in the safe. Also, I applogize for the poor photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120305-00017.jpg (222.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120305-00018.jpg (226.4 KB, 110 views)
Old March 5, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not much on serial numbers, but lots of folks are. I will make a wild guess that the low number on what looks like a pristine M1917 will make it worth around $4000. Please don't cut it up to make a hunting rifle.

Jim
Old March 5, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Lowcountry Shooter

I have no plans to change anything with this gun as it was acquired by my grandfather who won the DSC in France during WW1. I wish I knew how he got it but I do not believe it was his personal rifle during the war because of its good condition and it does not have the eagle stamp on the left side of the receiver.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:49 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

The low serial number would add value. This rifle has been refinished so it has lost much of it's original value as a low number M1917.

What does the rest of it look like?
Old March 6, 2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Lowcountry Shooter

Thanks Madcratebuilder for the reply. I thought the early 1917s were blued then later Parkerized. The gun is in great shape and I will try to get some better pictures posted soon.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:43 AM   #6
kraigwy

There are two ways to value your rifle: (My opinion)

1: Weight it, look up the price of gold, figure what your's is worth if it was made of gold, and use that as a starting place.

2: You grandfather's rifle, PRICELESS.

Go to the CMP forum for Bolt Action Rifles and ask them about your one diget serial number;

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 6, 2012, 02:25 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I could well be wrong, but I don't think that rifle has been refinished. The early M1917's were highly polished and blued with stocks of a deep reddish color. The Army soon made it clear that "pretty" was not in the contract. I would like to see more and better pictures.

Jim
Old March 6, 2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Hardcase

As much as I hate safe queens, if the rest of the gun looks like the two photos, it probably should be set aside as a collector's item. I think that James K is right about the finish on the early 1917s - that sounds kind of familiar.

The folks in the bolt action forum at the CMP would probably be very excited to see your rifle and also to hear about your grandfather.
Old March 6, 2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Lowcountry Shooter

I really appreciate all the replies and I have attached newer and better photos. All the markings are Eddystone (sight{2 places}, safety, bolt {2 places}, butt plate, barrel, thumb recess on the left side of the receiver and on the hand guard ring just ahead of the serial number). The stock is stamped 2H just rear of the trigger guard. The gun has been sitting for many years and there is some varnish from old oil and WD40. I will post this also at the CMP Forums as suggested. I will follow up with some additional pictures as I can only upload 3 at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7871.jpg (118.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7870.jpg (232.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7889.jpg (97.0 KB, 76 views)
Old March 6, 2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Lowcountry Shooter

Additional pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7880.jpg (86.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7884.jpg (150.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7867.jpg (112.8 KB, 61 views)
Old March 6, 2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Winchester_73

What a rifle. I would leave it EXACTLY as is. The only way to find the value would be to place it in an auction. Its certainly one of a kind. A low SN nearly always helps the value of a gun.
Old March 6, 2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Lowcountry Shooter

Thanks for the CMP link, Kraigwy! I have posted there also. All the pictures can be viewed at the following link: http://photobucket.com/EddystoneModelof1917
Old March 7, 2012, 07:25 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

Thanks for the additional photo's. It's not a refinish and I see no indications of going through "clean and repair" that most saw post war1.

It is certainly a treasure, I would consider a professional appraisal and possibly a insurance rider.

If that rifle could talk. I would say this rifle was presented to someone of importance and was never issued or even in the supply chain. I'll read through my Ferris 1917 book and see if I can find any reference to the first rifles off the assembly line.

The first Eddiestone's received a "browning" finish. This was a satin brown in color and could look almost black in some lighting conditions. I would say rifle #4 received extra attention.

In late Sept of 1918 Eddeistone changed to a black Parker Rust proof Co, finish, later to known as Parkerizing.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:44 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would wager that the guard screws are still staked, but Low Country should check. That would prove that the rifle was never messed with. (And if they are, DON'T remove them. That staking is priceless to M1917 collectors!)

Jim
Old March 8, 2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Lowcountry Shooter

Jim K,
I would be happy to check if the guard screws are staked but could you give me an idea of where to look. There is a screw on the right side of the stock below the receiver that has a pin in the middle of it. I see no other screws with any kind of "stakes" or "stops" on the rifle. Thanks.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:31 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

Guard screw staking well be a center punch mark on the trigger guard that aligns with the guard screw slot.

This photo is dark but you can see the punch mark on the trigger guard.

Look for a small eagle head inspection stamp (with letters) at both the front and rear of the trigger guard on the stock. These are normally very light stamps and can be found on rifles that have seen very little handling.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:12 PM   #17
Chris_B

That rifle's something else!
Old March 9, 2012, 09:15 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

It is not refinished and the SN 4 makes it an absolute gem, then add the family provenance, etc. You could have it appraised by a national auction site who knows guns. This is one of the guns that needs itemised on an insurance policy and properly stored and handled without fail. It would be worth trying to discover more of the provenance, getting good professional photos, and writing it up for, say, the NRA monthly magazine. This will enhance the value once it's time to sell, if ever, or in case of a loss.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:54 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

The photo is too dark to tell much, but to clarify, the staking I mentioned involves using a center punch on the trigger guard to drive a "tit" of metal into the end of the screw slot. The original purpose, like the keeper screws on Mausers, was to keep the screws from coming loose, and it does that. But it also means the screws can't be turned without shearing the staking, so any screw that will turn easily has been off before, and the rifle is not "untouched."

Removal of the guard screws, BTW, was not to be done by the individual soldier, or at least that is what "the book" says. (In the American army, I can only guess how much that rule was obeyed.)

Jim
Old March 12, 2012, 01:25 PM   #20
Lowcountry Shooter

Jim K - The trigger guard was not center punched nor are there eagle stamps. I take it that this gun probably never entered service. Thanks to all for their advice and for sharing their knowledge. I have more research to do and I will continue on this thread when I have more information.
Old March 13, 2012, 06:47 PM   #21
hootey

Very, Very, NICE

Congradulations, you have a keeper. Get all the information on it you can find...
Old March 15, 2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Old Smoker

The first rifle I ever purchased was the 1917 enfield, eddystone. I purchased it from Kliens sporting goods in 1962 for $29.00. I was sixteen at the time, they never checked. I picked it up at the post office. My, how times have changed. Sadly, I sent it back, the safety lever was missing.