The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 9, 2016, 10:59 PM   #1
979Texas

M1 Garand Night Sights

Just looking for anyone that has any advice for night sights on an M1 Garand. I kind of hate to replace a stock part on a classic rifle but hog hunting with my M1 is hard to see the sights clearly once darkness sets in. I'm not interested in a red dot, scope, new rails, etc. Just replacement night peep sights. Thanks.
Old July 9, 2016, 11:18 PM   #2
Model12Win

There are some good super luminous paints out now that provide a glow for several hours.

Check on ebay for some. It will work handily when exposed to light for a little while.
Old July 10, 2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Screwball

https://www.amazon.com/Garand-Kensig.../dp/B00C17ENBC

But your issue is the rear sight, as well as being able to see your target. Are you looking to shoot in darkness or at dusk?
Old July 10, 2016, 12:06 PM   #4
979Texas

I'm looking to shoot at dusk to good moonlit darkness. The front sight is the big issue. Also Screwball I have seen and looked into those sights that you shared the link to, I've read mixed reviews about those and they appear to be nearly the only thing on the market available that I have found so far.
Old July 10, 2016, 12:15 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

I'd just put a dab of Model12Win's luminous paint on the front sight. Wouldn't buy it via E-Bay though.
You can buy a pen of GID paint on Amazon or Wally World. Cheap they ain't at $15.00.
This is a lot cheaper. No idea if it'll work on Parkerized steel. For $2 you can try it. http://www.bewild.com/glow-in-the-dark-paint-pens.html
There's also GID vinyl tape that might do.
The paint isn't cheap. Runs about $6 per ounce. The tape runs $2.50 per foot.
https://www.glonation.com/
Suspect it'd be a really good idea to try it on a range to see how well it stays put during shooting. Easy enough to re-do though.
Old July 10, 2016, 06:56 PM   #6
HiBC

I do not intend to rain on your parade.For myself,even out in wide open spaces,I have a reluctance to fire at night.Its just harder to know downrange is clear in the dark.
But I suppose you have figured on that,and answered it to your own satisfaction.

I have an idea that MAY work,I have never tried it.It just came to me.

If you were to duct tape a mini-cyalune stick to your front handguard,so that :

A) The front sight base masks light from going forward,to be seen by Mr Hog
B) all of the rest of the light is masked by tape from illuminating anything but the front sight...no glare to your eyes,

I would think the front sight would be softly illuminated,and I think you would be able to discern the silhouette of the rear peep .

I little dot of white-out could be applied to the front blade if necessary.

Do hogs spook at red light? You do have a bayonet lug...A good machinist could probably even make a red laser mount that would hold zero....Or a red filter Surelite or something.
Old July 10, 2016, 09:56 PM   #7
Screwball

Target lumination is going to be your problem. Similar to defensive pistols, night sights don't distinguish your target. They help in lower light situations, but darkness... you want some light.

In regards to glow paint, this is what I used for my Yugo SKS night sights.

http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?id=41

Did a few coats of white, few coats of that, and then a few coats of clear. The SKS sights have flip ups for the night sights, so it was just filling in the holes and letting it dry. Came out extremely well... and stays lit for some time.
Old July 10, 2016, 10:53 PM   #8
979Texas

@HiBC, hogs are not color blind at all so they spook at any color light. And thanks for that idea I might just try that. Also the luminosity paint would be worth a go also before I invest in aftermaket night sights. And illumination of my target isn't an issue at all. I have more lights, lasers, rails, barrel mounts, other mounts, spotlights, etc. For my AR set ups and also for my Glock. So if i'm hunting specifically at night I just grab an AR fully setup for night hunting out of my safe.
The only reason I'm looking for night sighting with Garand is for the 1 to 3 mile walks back to the house after an afternoon or evening hunt. Because it gets dark then and I still see hogs on those long dark walks back to the house sometimes and I would like to capitalize on that. I always have a 10mm Glock 20 on my hip on all hunts and I have a decent light on it but it's only useful for emergencies and short range.
So i'm not looking to make my Garand a "night gun", just a gun that can be used at dark if needed. Like I stated I have other guns fully setup for my night time action.
Old July 11, 2016, 06:24 AM   #9
bamaranger

peep

Trying to run a peep sight in reduced light is just plain tough...period. There was a time when I hunted peeps a bit, and using them in the fading light of dusk, was a real problem. So much so, that even when my eyes were much younger, I abandoned peeps for PM hunts as they robbed me of 10 minutes or more of shooting time in the evenings. The best peep set ups I've used in bad light have been the XS type,with their big ghost ring and white highlighted front blade. Even then, they don't gain you much once the light fades.

I note that you do not want to modify your Garand, I don't blame you. But one thing you might try is obtaining a GI aperature and opening it up some to form a ghost ring rear, and installing the modified aperature in your Garand. Appearance wise, it will be hard to note the enlarged opening. With some paint out on the front blade, one might gain a few minutes of shooting time....but it won't be much. If the experiment doesn't work, you can reinstall the standard/unmodified aperature. You won't loose any accuracy at typical hunting ranges with the ghost ring, but it might show up at longer ranges on paper. You will have to weigh the lost opportunities in bad light, against the desire you have to hunt w/ your Garand in the late PM.

BTW, I applaud you hunting the Garand. My solution to do same was to install a rail (an Amega, but Ultimak is good too) and an IER scope. Before settling on a 2-7x IER, I ran a small red dot, which worked pretty good too, but the scope allows for more precision at long range and target descrimination. The Amega will allow other mount options if one desires (like a light or laser). That is travesty to all purists, but a viable option when hunting with the peep is no longer an option.
Old July 12, 2016, 11:51 PM   #10
979Texas

Thank you Bamaranger, I would really hate to add an optic to the gun, because I love the sights and I am extremely accurate with them. But then you have the shooting in low light problems. But if I were to add an optic it would just be a simple red dots as all my other centerfire rifles except two of them have full power scopes.
@Screwball, what kind of luck did you have in the dark with the luminosity paint on you SKS?
Old July 13, 2016, 09:49 AM   #11
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texas View Post
@Screwball, what kind of luck did you have in the dark with the luminosity paint on you SKS?

It isn't tritium, but it glows. It was similar to the glow sights Beretta used to put on their PX4s, just lasted a little more.

You have to charge it with light prior. How much you put on, base, and amount of light it is exposed to all effect glow time. Definitely do a coat or two of white, and when you get to a point you are happy with the glow, do a coat or two of clear (nail polish works). The bottle of paint I have still glows like heck when I open the closet it is stored in, emit light on it, then kill the light source. Purchased it in mid 2011.

I used to have a shot of it, but guess I deleted it. It works in low light, but just a reference for sights.
Old July 28, 2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Old Bill Dibble

Here ya go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/891...tritium-stripe