The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 8, 2016, 10:24 PM   #1
imp

zoo rifles.

Forgive me if this has been covered in another thread, or if it seems insensitive or in poor taste.

The incident at the zoo last week where the gorilla was killed fascinates me, from a technical perspective.

What caliber rifle was used? How many of the zoo employees are trained to use the rifle(s) ? What kind of training is involved?
Old June 9, 2016, 08:25 AM   #2
BarryLee

Checkout this thread http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576668
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 9, 2016, 08:58 AM   #3
drobs

My guess is a local officer with an AR15. Gorillas are not made out of AR500 steel. Pretty hard to miss a head shot at short range. Especially when you consider how big it's head is.
Old June 9, 2016, 09:43 AM   #4
jmr40

I have no facts, but will offer a SWAG. I'm certain that all zoo's have a pre determined plan in case a dangerous animal escapes. As well as at least one rifle capable of stopping the largest animal in that particular zoo, and at least one person qualified to use it at the zoo at all times.

Something in the range of a 375 mag would be a sensible minimum and as large as 460 Weatherby wouldn't be unrealistic.

A local officer with an AR is certainly possible, but I'd hope the zoo would have a better plan in place.
Old June 9, 2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Phone your nearest zoo and ask.
Old June 9, 2016, 02:02 PM   #6
Scorch

I work on the guns for our local zoo/aquarium. Zoos do not keep a lot of firearms around because a) they don't need them often as the animals are well socialized, and b) the number of adequately trained people is low. The firearms I have seen are:
* Handguns to control people, such as preventing someone from absconding with that rare animal that the zoo brought in for a display.

* Rifles to control any incident involving large animals and fragile humans. Our local zoo keeps a Winchester Model 70 in 375 in a locked cabinet just in case they need to end a stressful situation in an affirmative manner.

* They also keep a shotgun that is used to fire darts that inject tranquilizers, (used I suppose in case you have to take a pachyderm down for dental work or a polar bear down for surgery or such).
Old June 9, 2016, 09:14 PM   #7
imp

Thanks Scorch. I figured there had to be a large caliber rifle, taking in to account the very large and diverse group of animals. I would also presume there is always someone on duty at all time that is trained in its use. To cover all shifts and days, I would think at least 5 people.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there were lead shot for the shotgun, should something small and venomous have to he dealt with, although I'm sure they would rather capture them unharmed.
Old June 10, 2016, 12:05 PM   #8
SaxonPig

I know a zoo armorer and he said they keep an '06 and a 375 available. Mainly rely on a 12 gauge pump with slugs. He says that was used in Cincinnati.

That was tragic. I hate to see animals killed needlessly. That incident should never have happened.
Old July 9, 2016, 09:11 PM   #9
jrothWA

Toledo blade had an article that...

trained staffers have access to .375 & 458 rifles and shotguns with slugs.
If needed.