The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 8, 2016, 05:32 AM   #1
John8789

Advice for my first Rifle

Hello, I am new here, but I've been using firearms for many years.

I am trying to decide what to purchase for my first rifle. It will mostly be used for hunting, as well as occasional target shooting.
I am looking for a 30-06 with sub-moa accuracy at 100 yards. My budget for the rifle (not including the scope) is $2.3k (Australian dollars).

I would really appreciate any input from the community.

Sincere regards,
John8789
Old July 8, 2016, 06:15 AM   #2
overthere

Wow, with that budget your options should be aplenty. Are you set on the 30-06 as opposed to a .308? A .308 could do everything the 30-06 would do and your options for ammunition would be more plentiful and cheaper (if Australia is anything like the US in that regard) and if you handload, loading for a 308 would be slightly cheaper as well.
Old July 8, 2016, 07:27 AM   #3
std7mag

Welcome to The Firing Line!!

While yes, your reloading would be slightly cheaper with 308 vs 30-06, we are only talking a couple of pennies worth of powder. For about 200 FPS faster velocity for any given bullet weight.

As for the rifles...

There are plenty of fine manufacturers that would suit your needs.
I'm partial to Savage, but would not count out any other manufacturer.
Tikka, Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Browning, all make fine rifles that I would be proud to own.

I did not include Weatherby, due to bad experience with an original series Vangard. I hear the Vangard II is a decent rifle, but alas, I have been jaded.
Old July 8, 2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Welcome to the playpen!

If you don't plan on reloading your own ammo, I'll agree with the idea of a .308. It's right at equal to the '06 in factory loadings. The '06 gains with bullets of 180 grains, but those aren't needed for animals weighing less than some 400 pounds or more.

Brand of rifle? With today's tooling, almost all will be adequate for tight groups, although sometimes some tweaking with the forearm bedding helps.
Old July 8, 2016, 10:52 AM   #5
taylorce1

Welcome to TFL!

First what kind of hunting will you be doing? Will you be carrying the rifle a lot on foot, or will you hunt from a blind/stand? If you're carrying it a lot what is the terrain you hunt in like?

These will help you to decide what kind of rifle you want to buy. If you're carrying the rifle on foot a lot then you'll probably want something lighter weight. If not then you can get by with a heavier rifle. If you want something light weight realize that it'll be harder to shoot well, so cartridge choice becomes very important. Both the .308 and .30-06 can become quite punishing in a light rifle, especially at the range when shooting from the bench or prone positions.

I personally like hunting rifles in the 7-8.5 lbs weight range, and that weight is total with a full magazine, sling, scope and mounts. I feel that these rifles are light weight enough to pack all day in the mountains without too much trouble, and heavy enough to not punish you while shooting most standard cartridges like the .30-06/.308. You can go lighter but then you'll need to start looking at recoil mitigation I you get down in the 6 lb range.

Heavier rifles (9 lbs+) are great if your hunting from a stand where the rifle will be carried from a vehicle to your hunting spot. Or if you're hunting on pretty flat country where longer shots are possible and the added weight makes it easier to be more accurate. Rifles that weigh over 10 lbs are usually range toys only for me and left at home when it comes to hunting game.
Old July 8, 2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Pathfinder45

You should just get the 30-'06 you've always wanted. Forget about the 308. As for the rifle itself, I would insist on a model 70 Winchester with the Classic, controlled-round-feed of it's Mauser-type extractor, and, of course, a genuine Walnut stock. With your budget, you can probably afford the Super-Grade version, but the regular, Classic Sporter is very nice already. If you happen to find one of these at an excellent price except that it's in 270 Winchester, I would get it if I were you. But those are the only two calibers I would consider in such a rifle. Your plan for a 30-'06 is a sound one, and that caliber is outstanding. If you do get a nice model 70 for your first rifle, you will very likely keep it for life.....
Old July 8, 2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

P.S. The Winchster model 70 Featherweight, is also very, very nice. But, being lighter, it will have more recoil.
Old July 8, 2016, 01:23 PM   #8
std7mag

Pathfinder,
The Tikka T3 Lite would be aprox same weight/recoil. But you won't find a smoother than silk action...
Old July 8, 2016, 01:36 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

$2300AUD is $1,738.35 USD as of today, for those who didn't know. Decent budget for sure. Mind you, from looking at one Australian gun shop site, you'll be able to buy the rifle and the scope for that much with no fuss. More money doesn't necessarily mean better.
Not knowing what's available in Australia puts a bit of a damper on my suggestions, but any commercial hunting rifle will do nicely. Do not discount buying used either. Isn't like buying a used car and it takes a lot of abuse to damage any modern hunting rifle. Go to your local gun shop and try a few on for size.
"...sub-moa accuracy..." Isn't necessary as hunting is your goal. Isn't really required for target shooting either. Great deal of accuracy is about the ammo used too.
"...every law has a penalty..." Only if you break that law.
Old July 8, 2016, 05:55 PM   #10
hooligan1

Timmy why would you tell anyone that sub moa isn't your goal if your hunting?
I get Benchrest accuracy is not needed to kill an animal at 80 yds, but don't you think that if you tune your animal killer to get sub moa groups while practicing is the goal?

Last edited by Evan Thomas; July 8, 2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: let's not get personal.

Tags
30-06 , accurate , australia , first rifle , hunting rifle