The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 30, 2016, 03:45 PM   #1
wheel gun

Remington Rolling Block

I JUST AQUIRED AN OLD REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCK IN 7X57m.
MILITARY STOCK WITH BAYONET LUG. NO MILITARY STAMPINGS OR MARKS.
THR BARRELL IS MARKED 7MM SM.
ON THE SIDE OF THE TANG COVERED BUY THE STOCK IS THE #598
ON THE STOCK COVERED BUY THE TANG IS #1995.
THE TOP OF THE TANG HAS SEVERAL PATIENT DATES.
TIGHT ACTION AND GOOD BORE .
ANY INFORMATION WOUD BE GREAT !
JERRY
Old July 1, 2016, 01:29 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Remington made literally millions of those rolling blocks, most in 7x57 (aka 7mm Mauser) for Spain and Latin American countries in the 1890's era. More were made previously in other calibers, mostly larger, for Spain, Egypt and other countries.

If in good shape, the rifle can be safely fired with modern American made 7x57 ammunition because factory ammo is kept at a safe pressure for use in those old-timers, but care must be exercised in use of handloads.

Value is low simply because so many old Remingtons flooded the market several years ago that most shooters lost interest in them.

Jim
Old July 2, 2016, 08:45 AM   #3
damienph

7mm Rolling Block

I have one of these as well. I have fired factory 7x57 ammunition in mine and it is surprisingly accurate but mine (and the only two others that I have seen) have large chambers and the brass stretches quite a bit when fired.

Compare a fired case from yours to an unfired case and see if yours has a large chamber. I have been told that firing factory ammunition in mine and repeatedly resizing back to the original dimensions will eventually result in a case head separation but in the past 25+ years that I have owned mine I have not had any problems with it. However, as a precaution, in recent years I have started to fireform new brass to fit the chamber and then just neck size without pushing the shoulder back after that.
I have been told that these are actually chambered for a cartridge similar to the 7x57 called 7mm Spanish but I don't know if that is true or not.
These are fun shooting rifles, enjoy yours!
Old July 2, 2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Huffmanite

Own a 7x57 rolling block myself, but don't shoot it much.

Agree with what Damianph wrote, especially about just neck sizing and not full length resizing of your fired brass. My rifle does have a "large chamber....quite a bit of stretch in regular sized 7x57 brass when I shoot it.

During WWI, France bought a fair number of Rolling Block rifles from Remington that were chambered in their 8mm Lebel cartridge. They were issued to their rear echelon/support troops.

By the way, kinda assume your trigger pull is quite heavy. I also own a 1879 Argentine Remington RB chambered in 43 Spanish. I've let others shoot it, casually mentioning that it has a heavy trigger pull. LOL, they start pulling the trigger and will turn to me to ask, is it on safety? Anyway, thinning one of the flat springs of trigger can make a big difference in the pull. There are two flat springs. One you thin is under the larger flat spring. Chuckle, reduced mine down to around 7lbs.....must have been 15 lb or more before I thinned my flat spring. Just google rolling block trigger job and you should find out how to do it.

Last edited by Huffmanite; July 2, 2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old July 3, 2016, 02:03 PM   #5
mete

Yes there seems to have been either changes in dimensions or different dimensions from the start .Get a chamber cast for a start.Make sure that includes headspace !
Old July 3, 2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Paul B.

I believe the OP is the same gentleman who asked this same question on another site. I advised him at that time to get a chamber cast and have the headspacing checked as well. He apparently ignored me even after I offered to provide him with a copy of the article concerning chamber problems with the 7x57 rolling block rifles.

The following is one paragraph from the letter I sent to gun writer Ket Waters answering a question he posed in a Pet Loads article on the 7x57.

"In Pet Loads volume1, you say you have not been able to finf out why Remington Rolling bBlocks seem to have a headspace problem, regardless of condition. I can answer that question. Remington made these rifles with a chamber from .0056 to 0130 inch longer than the current standard. My source of information is the American Rifleman, issue of April 1956, in a sidebar on page 31."

I guess I should have pulled out that letter and quoted that paragraph on that other site for the OP's original question. My bad?

Maybe that answers everyone's questions on the large chambers.
Paul B.
Old July 3, 2016, 06:30 PM   #7
Blindstitch

I had one. Gave it to my mom because she wanted it to hang near her Stevens Favorite.
Old July 3, 2016, 07:07 PM   #8
mete

Paul B. Thanks . I've always wanted that answer but no one seemed to know !! The answer seems so simple !
Old July 3, 2016, 07:10 PM   #9
gyvel

Got one in 8mm. Haven't shot it in many years, though.
SIFE
Old July 5, 2016, 12:56 PM   #10
wheel gun

Thank you all for the great info. I enjoy old guns, the 7x57m is a big favorite of mine.
I have 80 rounds of 1956 made in chili military ammo i am going to use. These are probably corrsive primed so will scrub with hot soapy water when finished,
i read that the rolling block rifle saved remington from going bankrupt .
If i reload for it i will follow your advice !!
Old July 6, 2016, 10:39 AM   #11
mete

IIRC the rolling block was at the time of military single shots ,the military rifle of 24 countries !