The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 30, 2016, 09:16 PM   #26
Scorch

Quote:
I also know that 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ will punch through the roof of a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba with no trouble at all.
I gots ta know! I gots ta know! From the inside or the outside? And can you hear your car radio with the volume below 15?
Old July 1, 2016, 05:50 AM   #27
Mobuck

The bullet deflector in my yard has worked fine for everything up to 9mm/38SP. It's a 3'x4'x 3/8" plate set at a 45* angle. target supports are a couple of vertical pine 2x4 plus a swinger hung from chains. I also use a couple of the self supporting rimfire swingers stuck in the ground. Thousands of 22 plus 9mm, and 38 cast/plated lead bullets have impacted this plate and all have been successfully deflected into the dirt.
I built this on runners since it's heavier than I want to lift and carry.
FWIW, I often find 22 bullets barely buried in the RR ties of my 100 yard target butt indicating not a lot of penetration on hardwood at that range.
Old July 1, 2016, 07:00 AM   #28
zincwarrior

Just a side question Tony, as I live in a very dry environment and have seen fires start in two indoor ranges and an outdoor range from rounds.

Do the hay bails ever spark up? You may be in a humid environment, or just doesn't happen. but just a thought to consider that the area around it be clear in case they spark up for some reason.
Old July 1, 2016, 03:11 PM   #29
SaxonPig

I was driving and my friend (what are friends for?) in the passenger seat had an AD with a 1911 and put not one but rounds through the roof. The first shot rocked the gun and triggered a second. Sounded like one shot to me.

He promised to pay for the repair but he never did...
Old July 2, 2016, 07:05 AM   #30
Mobuck

"Do the hay bails ever spark up? You may be in a humid environment, or just doesn't happen. but just a thought to consider that the area around it be clear in case they spark up for some reason."

Absolutely no way a common bullet(not tracer/incendiary) passing through a hay bale would "spark". Bullets striking rocks or debris on the ground might cause a spark but not just passing through a hay bale.
On the other hand, moisture can cause organic action within a bale building up heat to the point of combustion. If the internal temp of a bale was close to the ignition point, a bullet passing through allowing oxygen to reach the hot spot could give the appearance of causing the fire.
Old July 3, 2016, 05:54 AM   #31
Tony Z

Zincwarrior,

No problems with the hay, but a bit of disclosure, this is my own shooting spot, in a warehouse building I own. I generally shoot .22 LR, but have fired .38's, 9mm and .357. Ahead of the hay bales, which are enclosed, by the way, are old white acoustical ceiling tiles, for contrast and to have something to pin targets to.

With my rebuild, I have yet to have anything make it through the backstop. I also have a piec of 3/8" plate that I'm going to use to build a 45 degree angled bullet stop over the next week or so.

But, no evidence at all about sparking in the hay, except for a couple of mice that made it their home last winter!

T.