The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 8, 2012, 10:57 PM   #51
NWPilgrim

I have bought a few things from PSA last year and was overall happy with them. They give no shipment info and it takes longer than some other places, but they shipped everything accurately. One item I bought was a complete FN 20" A4 upper for $399!! It shoots 3/4" groups with a couple of handloads which is much better than I expected for milspec bbl. and the price was incredible and included an MPI tested BCG.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:59 AM   #52
Marquezj16

Quote:
One item I bought was a complete FN 20" A4 upper for $399!! It shoots 3/4" groups with a couple of handloads which is much better than I expected for milspec bbl. and the price was incredible and included an MPI tested BCG.
How did I miss that sale?

The reason why I keep going to PSA is because of their great prices.

I understand that their rifles and uppers are built to order and they should probably tell people that it will take longer than 30 days for them to ship.

I also don't like their practice of charging your card before they ship the item.

However, this is one company who keeps putting out good products and for great prices so people will keep buying from them. I just hope they get their CS on-line because people will only tolerate so much before they stop buying from them.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:43 AM   #53
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
top shelf parts? What a joke. Is that why they ship out incorrect parts on orders or upper receivers that don't function?

Daniel Defense and Bravo Company are top shelf parts. PSA is budget friendly stuff that 'usually works'.... but they have serious flaws in quality control and customer service. I can handle one or the other, but not both. If you have excellent quality control, you don't need good customer service because very few things come back. If you have excellent customer service, your customers can deal with poor quality control because they know you'll make it right.

Daniel Defense and Bravo Company excel in both of these areas... PSA fails at both.

They can build an okay rifle, sure... but it's definitely not something I would be comfortable betting my life on without putting THOUSANDS of rounds through it. Even then, I'd sooner bet on a new in box Daniel Defense than a PSA that's had 1,000 rounds through it...even if it's been flawless before that.

I gave PSA numerous chances to do the right thing. I placed orders with them several times even after having poor experiences. When they simply ignored repeated emails and phone calls about a complete upper assembly that was obviously very wrong.... they lost all respect from me. I documented that endeavor here... I'm sure you can find it if you search my old threads.
Customer service complaints are legitimate, Getting the wrong parts is frustrating. Claiming flaws in quality control and customer service is acknowledged at most AR forums. But claiming "PSA is budget friendly stuff that 'usually works" is totally incorrect. Personal I would take the PSA FN made parts over anything offered by BCM or DD.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:58 AM   #54
LSnSC

Ive seen several complaints about them charging your card before they actually ship. It is foolish and a sure way to fail financially to do otherwise.
Ex: Joe Blow orders and upper and gives you his card number. You build his upper then go to charge his card and he has no money. You're on the hook for materials while he gets his his finances in order, if he ever does. You're suppliers expect to be paid on time or they cut you off. They dont care that Joe Blow lives paycheck to paycheck and manages his finaces poorly. It only takes a handful of Joe Blows to put you out of business.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:04 AM   #55
Uncle Malice

Quote:
But claiming "PSA is budget friendly stuff that 'usually works" is totally incorrect. Personal I would take the PSA FN made parts over anything offered by BCM or DD.
Can you tell me how that is incorrect? Does PSA's price point not make them more budget friendly than DD/BCM/Noveske/LMT/etc? Does their stuff not usually work? I was actually paying more of a compliment in that statement than I personally feel they are worth... but I recognize that my experiences were not necessarily typical and that they 'usually' do just fine. One upper I ordered worked fine... another one did not, and that's where they fell apart.

I was shipped a pistol buffer tube instead of a standard one... along with a stock in the box. I don't even remember what the other incorrect parts were at this time, but it was simple, stupid stuff. Then they wanted me to pay to ship the incorrect stuff back.. which they sent me a label for after I bitched about that.

It was really the broken upper that they would not even acknowledge that turned me against them. I don't care if I was the only one out of 10k customers that this happened to. NEVER responding and ignoring the customer is 100% unacceptable... and it should be for any of you as well.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:00 PM   #56
Xfire68

Quote:
I mounted my Magpul MBUS directly to my railed gas block. This is a big NO NO .
It depends on what Gen Magpul front sight you have. The Gen 2 is safe for gas block mounting according to Magpul. While the Gen 1 may melt if your firing at a fast enough rate.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:10 PM   #57
Metal god

Quote:
It depends on what Gen Magpul front sight you have. The Gen 2 is safe for gas block
Wow I'm not sure what one I have . I did just buy it this year so it might be a gen2 . I did do a torture test on it , here is my review http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505325

EDIT : it is a gen2 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i01

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 11, 2012, 02:04 AM   #58
CTUAgent247

You do realize that PSA's uppers are built to order right?
Old December 11, 2012, 10:00 AM   #59
Fishbed77

Quote:
Daniel Defense and Bravo Company are top shelf parts. PSA is budget friendly stuff that 'usually works'....
Um... PSA's small parts come from the same suppliers who supply to FN Manufacturing (also in Columbia, SC) who produces M16s and M249s for the US military. The majority of PSA's barrels come directly from FN.

Hard to call those parts anything but "top shelf". They are at least equal to what is used by DD or BCM.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:07 AM   #60
Uncle Malice

Quote:
They are at least equal to what is used by DD or BCM.
The barrels may be equal to BCM (same steel)... DD's are cold hammer forged in house... and are most definitely a step above that.

In case it wasn't obvious(it should have been)... I was referring to quality control in assembling those parts... not the forging process and metallurgy used to manufacture them.

I'm sure my 10 year old could take a set of parts from the DD warehouse and slap together an upper assembly... that doesn't mean it was built to the same standards as if it were build by Daniel Defense. Make sense?
Old December 11, 2012, 01:59 PM   #61
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm sure my 10 year old could take a set of parts from the DD warehouse and slap together an upper assembly... that doesn't mean it was built to the same standards as if it were build by Daniel Defense. Make sense?
Re-read your post. You said:

Quote:
Daniel Defense and Bravo Company are top shelf parts. PSA is budget friendly stuff that 'usually works'....
You were referring clearly to the parts PSA uses.

Quote:
DD's are cold hammer forged in house... and are most definitely a step above that.
PSA sells cold-hammer-forged FN barrels as well. All reports I've seen of them have been very positive. I don't personally own a PSA-barrelled upper, but I do own a Spikes upper that also uses an FN-produced hammer-forged barrel, and accuracy is excellent.

That said - I get it - you got a bad product from PSA and questionable customer service and you want to make it known. I understand that frustration. That said, it would seem like you are in a small minority with respect to the many happy PSA customers.

Last edited by Fishbed77; December 11, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:36 PM   #62
gggplaya

I have 2 PSA upper with FN Hammer forged barrels. Both have been excellent shooters, under 1.5MOA 8 shot groups with cheap PMC Bronze. I can't complain about that, that's excellent.

I've also order build kits, misc parts, magazines, and other odds and ends from them. Probably around 20 orders in total. They have a habbit of splitting orders up into different shipments, but eventually i've always gotten everything within 2 weeks. Uppers took 15 business days as advertised.

My experiences have been excellent. Unfortunately PSA has been a victim of their own success and the gun industry success right now. With their crazy low prices on items, they have too many customers. More than they can handle sometimes. So just don't have the best expectation in shipping times, and you really can't ignore their prices.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:04 PM   #63
JimDandy

Quote:
You were referring clearly to the parts PSA uses.
Not clear to me, as an outsider to your disagreement. I could easily see a fully assembled upper being a "parts".
Old December 12, 2012, 06:27 PM   #64
tmoore912

Built (pieced one together) a mid-length rifle from them over the late Summer and early fall ordering parts when they put them on sale. I've been very please with the results. I have about 1,100 rounds through now. I have another one of their lowers to build on once the holidays are over.

The shipping delays are unfortunate. I've visited their Blufton, SC store and had great interaction with their staff.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:45 PM   #65
havgunwiltrav

I ordered an upper from them. Then a little later that day changed my mind and contacted them requesting a refund. After talking to three different people trying to talk me out of it I was told cancelling would incur a 10% restocking fee. I argued that the item according to them was not yet in stock or even built. They directed me to look at their site that specifically stated all cancellations would incur a 10% restocking fee. And indeed it does say that. However, it should read a 10% penalty for doing business with them and then changing your mind. As nothing ordered was in stock.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:12 AM   #66
Metal god

I know this is not the same but I got to say it . I took a new camera back to best buy that was broken right out of the box . They told me I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee . I tried to tell them it's broken there for your not going to restock it .They did not care . There plicy was clear any cameras returned are subject to a restocking fee . It's kinda the same thing . Because of the way the policy is writen they can do what ever they want .

I think thats bull pucky of PSA to do that and I will keep that in mind when ordering from them .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Tags
ar-15 , build , palmetto , upper receiver