The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2013, 01:19 PM   #101
osirus82

adding 95.00 for worlds finest trimmer. next digital caliper, and desk or table.
Old July 28, 2013, 02:14 PM   #102
Lost Sheep

Why I don't count components

Crankylove, I am not picking on you, but your post was the best to use as an example. As an aside, I think your tag line, "The answer to 1984 is 1776" is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankylove
My setup is fairly simple compared to some.

Single stage press, powder dispenser, beam scale, hand primer, hand trimmer, funnels, about a dozen die sets, misc. tools, free homemade bench, and then all the components.

Even with my simple set up, I've probably got $2,500 into right now, and that's pretty low for most reloaded I know.

The cost of components is too variable to make any sensible comparisons. A loader who has been doing it for 30 years would have (with the exact same setup) would have a much higher figure than one who just started, even if their tools inventory was identical.

Likewise, to compare the price paid 30 years ago (or on the used market) to prices of new equipment today provides no information useful to someone trying to estimate a budget for getting into loading (which I THINK is how this thread got started).

So, I ask of everyone posting, please, differentiate between the cost of the means of production (the tools) from the cost of the production itself (the powder, primers, bullets, brass, case lube, tumbling media, polish, etc).

Thanks,

Lost Sheep
Old July 29, 2013, 06:10 PM   #103
osirus82

picked up the hornaday handbook of cartridge reloading, lee digital caliper, another .308 win dies set, can'o lube and a couple hundred different bullets for more testing. maybe 180.00 bucks
Old July 29, 2013, 07:48 PM   #104
Forrest68

with just the baisics, press, die sets, books,scales,calipers,misc parts bout 400.00, give or take a bit. Now components we wont go there on reasons , I dont want to incriminate myself the wife my read this
Old July 30, 2013, 10:35 AM   #105
Swampman1

Well I'll keep this really simple. It has cost me roughly twice as much as I originally thought it would when I first considered the hobby(and yes, that's tools and components...as they are all part of the cost as the thread title implies). Now in all fairness, a person starting out doesn't NEED to buy in bulk, but that's what I've done to get cost per round down. Buying in bulk will add a significant amount to startup costs.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:37 AM   #106
Mike Irwin
Staff

Couple hundred dollars, maybe, but spread out over MANY years (all the way back to the early 1980s).

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 30, 2013, 01:13 PM   #107
angus6

Yeah I'd hate to try and replace stuff . The 3 Star presses, Star luber ,
Dillon Super 1050 , Magma Auto Luber and MK5 Bullet Master.
Old July 30, 2013, 02:24 PM   #108
cobra81

I try not to think about it. It's not like the money's gonna come back. On the bright side, I have kept it from being even worse, by haunting pawn shops and buying components in bulk. And buying from buddies who were getting out of the reloading business.
The main thing is, I've enjoyed myself, stayed out of trouble, and not gone broke.
When it's all said and done, I think the main regrets for most of us will be the things we DIDN'T do, rather than the things we did. You only go around once.
Old August 21, 2013, 12:27 AM   #109
FrankenMauser

I must have missed this thread.

A couple years ago, I tallied everything up in my reloading room and came to a figure around $14,000.
Since then, I've added and disposed of a Dillon 550, added several more powders, added quite a few small pistol primers, and invested in some new dies and tools.

However, that figure also included spare scopes, rings, sling swivels, gun parts, and other non-reloading items.

The commercially-made tooling probably accounts for about $1,700. It would be difficult to put a price on the tools I've built myself (like my shotshell hull trimmer), but I'd say they're equivalent to $500-600.

There's probably $6,500 worth of components and handloads.

If you wanted to equate the rifle loads and components to commercial ammo, you could easily double or triple that figure, since I'm a rifleman and I use a lot of premium bullets. Some of my rifle handloads that cost me $20 / box (crazy for handloads ) command $75-$100 as commercial loads.
One particular 7.62x54R load I put together with Woodleigh Weldcore bullets (for ~$16/box?) has only one equivalent commercial load that was priced at $118/box, last time I checked.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:02 AM   #110
A pause for the COZ

hehehe we dont talk about things like that.
Honestly I dont know. If you count tools, Component, New guns because I can shoot them when I want.
In excess of 10 grand.
But because I dont know. When the wife asks. I am not lying when I say. " Not sure, cant be much though. I just made this box of 357 mag loads for 3 bucks instead of paying 22 bucks"
Old August 21, 2013, 09:35 AM   #111
saleen322

Just the dies cost...

Interesting topic. I would not even know where to begin with everything so I thought, just for fun, how much would it cost to replace just my reloading dies, nothing else. Okay, I have been loading for over 40 years so you pick up stuff. The cost, somewhere north of $1800 to just replace the dies........... I stopped there.

Last edited by saleen322; August 21, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #112
kilimanjaro

An FFL I know has his reloading setup in his basement shop, it's always fun to check it out. No fancy multiple presses, just a couple of RockChuckers for rifle and handgun, and a .50 caliber setup, but the kicker is reloading dies for nearly 150 calibers, and hundreds of boxes/cans/bags of brass and bullets. Says he can reload at least a full box of any caliber you can name. He's been playing with it for a long time.
Old August 21, 2013, 12:04 PM   #113
gun-nut

I'm coming in at +/- $1000
Old August 21, 2013, 12:44 PM   #114
Boomer58cal

Quote:
Yep. It cost me two marriages. From an investment standpoint, I would say that the financial losses eclipsed the gains, if you factor in those two divorces.
That reminds me of that old joke... I got a gun for my wife good trade huh!

Components are without a doubt the spendy part. Most of my initial reloading equipment were hand me downs from my dad so I got lucky on that one.

I don't have a list, Nor do I want one. I don't want to know! $$$
But I do have...
2 RCBS Rock Chuckers
1 RCBS Jr.
2 Mec 600 20g&12g
RCBS 1010 & 505 Balance beam scales
2 RCBS Powder measures
3 Vibratory case cleaners of assorted brands
Over 20 reloading manuals!
And too much stuff to list to go with it.

I try to have a spare of everything when finances Allow.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; August 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Can't type for beans
Old August 21, 2013, 01:27 PM   #115
44 AMP
Staff

The Big Lie...

Ok, maybe not THE big lie, a A big lie..."you will save money by reloading.."

In over 40 years of reloading, I have never met anyone who "saved" money by reloading. You don't save money, period. What you do get is more ammo for the money you spend. Often a lot more ammo...

I can't begin to figure the cost I have "invested", but I've been reloading over 40 years, and am currently tooled for over 30 different centerfire rifle and pistol cartridges, from .22 Hornet to .458 Win Mag.

I do remember my initial set up (lyman Spartan press and scale and some extras) cost $40. This wasn't just pocket change at a time when a new sports car cost $5000 and a new station wagon cost $2700!

I am amazed at what you guys are spending on new tools. I haven't bought any new tools in years, other than dies (and a new vibratory tumbler a couple years ago...).
Old August 21, 2013, 02:03 PM   #116
Silver00LT

Complete truth right there! LOL! I am saving money....PER SHOT.

Quote:
Ok, maybe not THE big lie, a A big lie..."you will save money by reloading.."

In over 40 years of reloading, I have never met anyone who "saved" money by reloading. You don't save money, period. What you do get is more ammo for the money you spend. Often a lot more ammo...

I can't begin to figure the cost I have "invested", but I've been reloading over 40 years, and am currently tooled for over 30 different centerfire rifle and pistol cartridges, from .22 Hornet to .458 Win Mag.

I do remember my initial set up (lyman Spartan press and scale and some extras) cost $40. This wasn't just pocket change at a time when a new sports car cost $5000 and a new station wagon cost $2700!

I am amazed at what you guys are spending on new tools. I haven't bought any new tools in years, other than dies (and a new vibratory tumbler a couple years ago...).
Old August 21, 2013, 02:30 PM   #117
mjes92

Never ask a question if you don't want to know the answer .
I'm not going to even think about it.
NRA - Life Member
Old August 22, 2013, 03:48 PM   #118
WESHOOT2

(I started with 100 CCI primers, a can of Hercules Unique, some used nickel 357 cases, a 100-ct box of Speer 146g JHP, and a LEE hammer-smasher.)
Old August 23, 2013, 03:35 PM   #119
osirus82

gotta add to the list- just ordered the dillon 600 swager and a strong mount for my 650xl. oh yea-- next to do is get a money order mail it off to get that harvey hand deprimer-- ill do it tomorrow.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:06 AM   #120
BobMitchell

I would say I've spent less than $200. Back in the mid 80's I went in half on a Lyman complete reloading kit with a friend along with .38/357 and 30.06 dies. I recently added a die for .45 ACP and a small digital scale. My friend passed away in the mid 90's and so his wife told me to just take everything as we set it up in their basement. I still don't own a tumbler.

I don't count the supplies as I figure I'm saving a huge amount over purchasing factory ammo. Heck, the way I look at it, the reloads have saved far more than the cost of the equipment.

Reloading gets me away from the TV and I put on some good music while I'm reloading. As an added bonus, my son is also into shooting (he has a Ruger MKIII, .22LR rifle, and a Savage .223 w/iron sites) and we often reload together. I can't put a price on teaching my son the basics and BSing about guns while we reload.

Oh, and I did get one piece of equipment as a present. My son got me one of those primers where the primers are loaded into a flat plastic box and auto feed into the hand operated priming mechanism so I can sit at the kitchen table and be part of the family for a while
Old August 25, 2013, 10:05 PM   #121
Silver00LT

Exactly Bob...teaching children the fundamentals of firearms along with safety without the crap media makes it priceless.
Old August 27, 2013, 06:21 PM   #122
howlnmad

I'd best not say, the wife may see this.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:32 PM   #123
Swampman1

I'm probably pushing 2K with a Hornady single stage. But a lot of that comes in buying bulk items-bullets, powders and primers. Other items are the Hornady case trimmer and Dillon Super Swager. All in all...I think I'm set for a while. Future purchases from here on will be bullets, primers and powder.
Old August 28, 2013, 03:25 AM   #124
Nordeste

378 €. That got me my LCT kit, a set of Lee deluxe dies, adjustable charge bar, and an inertial hammer. All I needed to get started.
Reloading bench was made by a friend, at the cost of lunch and a bottle of nice red wine at my favourite restaurant, and that was it.

Wife doesn't know the exact figures, though. Lol.
Old August 28, 2013, 06:52 AM   #125
spacecoast

I've probably got $250 in dies, hand press, dippers, caliper, tumbler and a few odds and ends. Have saved a documented $5K so far (after cost of components) in reloading over 19,000 rounds. My wife is quite impressed with the savings, especially when I point out that I can clone a $40 box of .44 special ammo for $6.

No money spent on a workbench, mounted presses, powder measures, reloading scales, manuals, etc. Keeping it very simple, I'm able to easily support my shooting habit with just the basics.