The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2013, 02:32 PM   #1
bn12gg

Accuracy Check-- What Happened?

Today at the club I shot my Lancaster .45 flintlock. I set up a paper target and two water filled jugs against the berm at 25 meters.

My first two shots at the paper targets were within an inch of dead center. I was pleased. If I'd been hunting, well, the family would have been eating venison.

I proceeded to blow up the two jugs (liquid clothes wash containers) -- they exploded but not like when I hit them with my 30 06. Still boom.

I dry swab clean between each shot -- debris comes out on the swab.

My next 6 shots expanded out on the paper target from 2, to 4 to 6 inches. Nothing close to my first two wonderful shots.

Is it me, or is stuff in the barrel impacting my accuracy.? I shoot 55 grains of Goex under a commercially lubed patch -- .440 ball.

No flyers just accuracy slipping over an hour of shooting.

Thoughts? Thanks David
Old April 26, 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
cdmckane

Re: Accuracy Check-- What Happened?

Sounds like your barrel was heating up with each shot.
Old April 26, 2013, 02:56 PM   #3
noelf2

^^^ Exactly!
Old April 26, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4
kwhi43

Mistake in posting, sorry.

Last edited by kwhi43; April 26, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 03:32 PM   #5
bn12gg

Correct re barrel heat -- I noticed the heat when I leaned over to push a dry patch down the barrel on a push rod -- touched a significantly warmed up barrel.

It would seem that .440 balls with a .10 patch work at least for the first couple shots. Maybe I should increase my patch thickness on subsequent shots.

?

.02 Thanks David
Old April 26, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
histed

Sounds like your first two shots worked very well. If you intend to mostly hunt with your rifle, quit while you're ahead. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. For target shooting you could try a .15 patch, but I don't think that's going to fix the heat distortion.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:30 PM   #7
cdmckane

Re: Accuracy Check-- What Happened?

I try to wait an entire minute before I start to reload. Obviously, hunting is a different story and I do practice reloading quickly but when I'm shooting for accuracy, the longer you let it cool, the more one shot will replicate the one before it.
Old April 28, 2013, 09:43 AM   #8
freedom475

You are fouling out....

Heat??? I guess, maybe...but heat is not the real problem. Heat causes the fouling to harden...it is the FOULING that causes the foul-out.

We really see this foul-out with the blackpowder cartridge rifles.The barrel will get so hot you can't touch it and accuracy is NOT hindered as long as you keep the fouling moist. Heat will keep you from being able to moisten your fouling so it has to be wiped out.

It takes more than one dry patch to keep your accuracy. Try two wet (moist, not dripping wet) patches and two dry patches between shots.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old April 28, 2013, 10:45 AM   #9
B.L.E.

I was gonna say that^^^

I usually swab with a damp patch followed by a dry patch between every shot when I shoot targets or a match.
The dry patch for this loading becomes the damp patch for the next loading.
Old April 28, 2013, 10:51 AM   #10
ThomasT

Make sure your bore is clean and also check your fired patches to make sure they are not blown. That was my problem when I first started shooting. I used .010 patches and my gun was burning them up.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:21 PM   #11
bn12gg

Guys-- Thanks for the additional suggestions. Heat, I understand-- take more time between shots. I really enjoy this Lancaster and got going rapidly over the course of approx an hour (11 shots). ^^ as noted, felt the barrel heat.

I used just one dry patch and "stuff" came out. However, I think you folks are correct -- more remained. I could feel that the latter balls did not go down as easily -- a little crusty feel. Stuff still in the barrel. Next time out, I'm going to swab more, maybe a little alcohol on a swab and then a couple dry swabs. FWIW-- I'm a real freak for a brite bore at clean up time -- mine shine. But, maybe more attention at the range to the barrel being cleaner is in order.

Thanks for the opinions from the experts.

David
Old April 28, 2013, 05:16 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Dave - lots of good suggestions. Don't try all of the "fixes" at once though. Try one and see what the effects are in regards to that "solution". If I'm just "shooting" (i.e. hunting and have to make a quick reload), I use a "wet patch" between shots. For patching, I use stirps of washed pillow ticking that is soaked in a water soluble oil (Dutch Shultz's method). In between shots, I have some plain pillow ticking patches cut that I keep in a separate pocket in my hunting pouch. I just put it in my mouth and get it damp and then use it to wipe the bore between shots. And no . . . I haven't caught any dreaded diseases from doing it that way. Or, take something like a musket cap tin and keep some dampened patches in it to use between shots. You'll be amazed at how much crud that dampened patch will bring up and out of the bore.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 3, 2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Wild Bill Bucks

Windex works really good at the range, and will dry almost instantly. And is a lot cheaper to use than about anything else besides water.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:20 PM   #14
bn12gg

I've had alcohol, Shenendoah, Windex and water recommended for between shot range use. I appreciate the suggestions. I use Windex and a little water for post range clean up, then a swipe of Shenendoah, then Ballistol before the muzzleloaders go into the cabinet.

Sounds like choosing any of the four has supporters based upon experience at
the range.

Thanks

David