The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
roadrat

Question for Kahr Owners, specifically K9 elite and T9

What do you think of the trigger reset?

I want a T9 but am concerned about the trigger's long reset. This will be a carry gun and I am used to DA/SA PPK's and SA 1911's.

In the heat of a gunfight, will reset present a problem?
Old October 24, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
vyse.04

Not for me. I have a K9 and CW45, and honestly it was the trigger that sold me on them. I have done rapid fire drills with both, with no issues. This is coming from someone used to DA/SA and SA as well. I think the K9 is a good choice for CC.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
PSP

I have both a K9 with an elite trigger and a T9. Normally the K9 does not have the elite trigger, but a slightly longer pull as the standard trigger. All other Kahrs come standard with the shorter elite trigger. It is true that the Kahrs are not as fast to fire as some guns equipped with short re-set triggers, but you can still fire one reasonably quickly. Practice would make you as good as you want to be with it, or any other trigger for that matter.

The main advantage of the Kahr trigger is that it's pretty safe. You have to want to pull the trigger to make it shoot. They are smooth and linear. Nice once you get accustomed to them.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Reset and other such trigger "problems" are cured by practice.

The Kahr trigger was designed to feel like a S&W revolver DA trigger pull, and like a DA revolver you have to "learn" the trigger.
Once you put in a little practice you'll never have any trouble with it.
Old October 24, 2012, 07:31 PM   #5
stingray2100

going from DA/SA or SA to a DAO takes practice.

well here are my 2 cents.

Your going from different triggers to a DAO...the Khar models are some of the best DAO triggers that I have used in humble opinion.

Wit that being said...the DAO trigger reset is going to be a full reset and nothing in between.

shoot it and you will be fine....I have a cw9 and a PM9...they both have that sweet clean (but long) DAO...but you can rely on it 100% of the time.

Enjoy it.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:04 AM   #6
obiwan1

It's just a matter of getting used to it. I like the trigger on my K40. Practice with the trigger to set your muscle memory and you'll be fine. Shoot it like a revolver.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7
chris in va

Skip the T9 for carry, get the K9. You can still get all three fingers on the grip and it's substantially lighter. It also comes with an 8rd mag.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Darker Loaf

I own a K9 Elite, and I used to own a CW 9. I got the K9 Elite to be more "me" proof than CW 9 (showed some wear and had reliability problems for me). I like the trigger better on the Elite than on the CW 9, but both are good triggers.

But make no mistake there is a difference between those triggers and the trigger on my custom trigger job XD 4" Service 9mm. A single-action trigger like a custom trigger or the trigger on a custom 1911 are of no comparison to the trigger on a on a CW or even a K9. It feels like I'm shooting a machine gun when I go back to my trusty XD.

However, the triggers on all Kahr guns that I've tried (P380, PM 9, CW 9, and K9) are all really good triggers. They are simply longer and with a longer reset than some of the full-sized service guns we are used to range shooting. But like others that have commented in this thread, the long double-action trigger pull is probably more appropriate on a carry piece [which is what K9's are], especially since that is the only form of safety that you have. But once again as other have said practice should solve all your problems.

The good thing about the K9 is that it is a decent range gun. It is easy to control and has an almost full sized barrel (3.465"). I also agree: a K9 is perfect for my medium sized hands. It's just enough to put all my fingers on the gun. People with larger hands may prefer the T9, but it may be just a tiny bit too big for my tastes for CC purposes. Probably would print just enough to see the grip print. When I compare my K9 Elite to the already-sold CW9, I LOVE my K9.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Darker Loaf

God, I've blathered and not answered your question: In the heat of a gun fight will it matter that your used to DA/SA or SA w/ a safety and you go to what is essentially a DA Kahr K9?

I'd say "No, no it won't." If you've practiced a lot with your DA/SA gun starting in DA you should be reasonably used to the length of pull and the increased weight of the trigger. Just practice with the trigger, because I've found that it is a chore to pull the trigger in comparison to a short reset, light-pull trigger. That can cause you to "jerk" the trigger and the whole gun. For me, when I'm making that mistake, I tend to shoot low.

Just shoot it a lot (which will be fun!), and try staging the trigger by pulling it most (like 2/3rds to 3/4ths) of the way. It's a totally smooth pull the whole way and doesn't stack, making this pretty easy. And again, like others have said, it's reasonably easy to shoot it quickly; again, not as quickly as a full-sized SA pistol, though, but fast enough.

All-in-all, I'd say the K9 is an awesome carry choice. You have less to screw up on that gun than the other guns you say you shoot, because they have safeties.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Darker Loaf

For carry purposes, know that the K9 is a little heavy at 23.1 ounces just for the pistol plus the magazine, unloaded, at 1.9 ounces. You'll definitely want a wide stiff belt and a good holster.

I carried my CW 9 which was ~15 oz without the mag (of same weight), and it was definitely lighter. The Crossbreed mini-tuck and a good belt makes it easier, though.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Darker Loaf

And a T9 would be super sweet: I've been completely tempted by them, though I've never handled one or seen one in real life. I'm sure it'd have an awesome trigger, too. I'll be as giddy as a little school girl if my buddy gets one.

It'd just be a little too heavy and big (though not by much) than a K9, which is almost too heavy and big for IWB carry for me.

How are you carrying it and what are you used to carrying?
Old October 25, 2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Dashunde

(^x4 Just a heads up, you can hit the edit button on the right and add as much as you want to your first post)

The solution to the different trigger style is simply practice.

There is a bit of difference though with the Kahr triggers, I like them a whole bunch, but I'm faster and more accurate with the heavier recoiling Glock 27...that I never carry, whats that tell you? (its fat & heavy)
Old October 25, 2012, 02:38 PM   #13
pilpens

- I just got a K9 9mm NYPD + Elite trigger upgrade for GF. She plans to use it only for CC which is seldom. It is a little too small for my hands but workable for CC.
- K9 9mm is mild on recoil for the size. Trigger pull is very smooth and reset is long like a regular DA revolver trigger. So, it can be a little slower on follow up shots but I do not think it is a worry in SD situations.
- T9 vs K9 --- Price would cause me to get one over the other. Lots of used K9 floating around ($350-$400). New price is just too expensive for me.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:23 PM   #14
JH

I have a K9 Elite 03 and really like it. As has already been stated, you will get used to the reset.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:36 PM   #15
redneck

I have an older k9 I picked up used recently. I think the trigger is great for a double action. Prior to getting it my go to guns were an M&P9C which has a much shorter trigger, and a 1911. I really don't like a long heavy pull (think LCP) but the Kahr is so smooth and breaks so clean I actually am very happy with it. Never even noticed the reset.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:52 PM   #16
5whiskey

You will want to put a lot of rounds down range with this if you're used to shorter trigger pulls. I carry a Sig P220 for duty and a Kahr CW9 for off duty. When I go a few months without practicing, and a shoot a few rounds out of the Sig, I find myself short stroking the Kahr during the first magazine. That's my fault I suppose... I need to practice way more than I do.

At any rate, you shouldn't have major problems with it but you will need to practice with it a lot and build that muscle memory.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:54 PM   #17
stormyone

Hold a T9. You'll have to buy it then.