The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2010, 01:47 PM   #1
RickE

PPKS decocker lever dropping during recoil

I have had issues with feeding and ejecting from my PPKS. I did some polishing and oiled it heavier than normal just to find the issue to be the decocker/safety lever was dropping either partially or fully from recoil. That seems to be the problem after all. Anyone have ideas how to fix?
Old January 30, 2010, 02:05 PM   #2
alloy

Sounds like p/n #4 extractor spring, the tip of #5 safety catch plunger, or the detent in #10 safety catch is either worn out or the channel the extractor spring rides in is gummed/trashed up badly.
I think #10 has to be fit, the other two are drop in parts, but I might be wrong about 10.

http://waltherppks.com/wp-content/up...pk-exposed.gif
Old January 30, 2010, 07:35 PM   #3
RickE

Thank you alloy, it makes sence, I will start there.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:51 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Did you buy the gun new? That problem (assuming it is what alloy and I think it is) could be due to someone disassembling the gun and losing the rear spring plunger. Loss of plunger(s) and/or the spring is pretty common with those guns when someone decides to remove the extractor and doesn't keep control of the parts.

Jim
Old January 31, 2010, 11:18 AM   #5
RickE

Thank you Jim, I did buy it used through Cabelas. I see why someone traded it. I will take it apart later today and post what I find.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:18 PM   #6
RickE

jim k

Jim and alloy,I broke down and cleaned all the mechanisms. The detent looks fine, the plunger and spring are in place, the extractor has sufficient spring pressure. There is what I deem to be about the right amount of tension on the safety lever. Everything looks and feels fine. But, I do not see how to disassemble the extractor, spring and plunger(s). There is no pin or anything visible.

Last edited by RickE; January 31, 2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: adding text
Old January 31, 2010, 07:34 PM   #7
alloy

the extractor is really not connected to the gun except by pressure put on the rear end of it by part #3 and the spring in the drawing. It should nearly fall out once tension is removed from it by pulling the decocker lever.
In other words, the spring, and the small pieces on each end, and their tension, are the only thing holding the extractor in place. Easy to lose.
#3 can only be oriented one way on reassembly or the extractor wont be held captive, but with the lever removed out of the way all those parts should remove easily and slide out with the spring, from the channel the spring lays in.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:42 PM   #8
alloy

From memory, push the firing pin forward out of the decocking lever, position decocker between the two detents and slip it out of the slide.
Spring and two end pieces(3 and 5) will slide out of the channel and the extractor will fall off the side of the slide.
Old February 1, 2010, 01:55 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

To re-install, put the firing pin and decocking lever in first, then the plungers/spring, then the extractor. Push the front plunger back with the extractor and the extractor will pop right in. (Best to do this under a piece of cloth to keep things from flying if you mess up.)

Jim
Old February 14, 2010, 06:39 PM   #10
RickE

Jim Keenan & alloy; I took it all apart. Everything seemed fine. A little wear on the lip of the detent, but it did not appear to be enough to cause this problem. But I did notice that it takes more effort to release the safety (up) than to engage it (down). I have not been back to the range, but I will post the results then. I'm not sure why it would be any better.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Sixer

Quote:
Anyone have ideas how to fix?
Well, I guess you could just sell it...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=398316

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.