The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 1, 2011, 09:37 PM   #1
redrick

CZ 452 American or 452 Varmit

I thinking about getting a new .22 rifle.

I have heard all the good words on the 452 American.

Does anyone have a 452 Thumbhole Varmit that they can compare to it?

Most use for it will be on the bench.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2
viking499

Mostly for bench use, I would go with the varmint. The stock on the varmint is ideal for bench use since it is flat instead of round like the American.

If you find a regular stocked varmint and want to make it a thumbhole, you can call Boyds and buy a thumbhole stock.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/LIMITE...-p/999-019.htm
Old October 2, 2011, 12:37 AM   #3
Jeff56

I bought a 453 and have no problems using it as a bench rifle. The 452 isn't a bench rifle of course so there will obviously be things it lacks like a bench rest stock. But I strongly suggest that you get the 453 rather than the varmint model because of much improved trigger on the 453. You get a set trigger that when set will reduce the trigger pull down to as low as 8 oz.. That is a big advantage for shooting from a bench. The trigger is far better and that always means better accuracy IMO. As for the varmint model I haven't heard anyone say they thought it was more accurate than the sporter models. The CZ is a very accurate rifle anyway. There are fixes for the 452 trigger but I've shot the 452 that had the trigger fixes done to it and it didn't compare to the 453's trigger.

I do have to say that my Savage MkIIBTV (varmint barrel, AccuTrigger and a thumbhole stock) works better for me from the bench. It is more accurate than my CZ 453. It has a stock that is pretty square and rides well on sandbags, which is how I shoot it. I've shot better groups and better scores with it than with the CZ. In fact it's considerably more accurate and it costs considerably less with the features you seem to want. It has a laminated stock instead of a walnut stock but that doesn't affect it's accuracy. It's also a very nice looking rifle.
Old October 3, 2011, 11:37 PM   #4
pilpens

I shoot better with my 453 varmint than my 452 American.
My american seems to be pickier on ammo than the 453 varmint.
I vote 452 varmint unless you have a specific need for a lighter rifle.
Old October 4, 2011, 01:25 AM   #5
trg42wraglefragle

I think accuracy wise it would be more dependent on the individual rifle opposed to certain models, that's what I've gather from research.

The varmint barrel wont heat up as fast, whether or not thats a problem with 22s I don't know.

But I think the American would be more versatile, if you ever decided to take it off the bench.
Old October 4, 2011, 02:10 AM   #6
micksis86

I have a 452 and it's great. But when I've handled the varmint version I've found they handle and point really nice.
I'd probably go with the varmint I didn't notice it being any heavier than the standard 452 and with it's heavy barrel it's pretty much good for everything.
Old October 4, 2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Danny Creasy

If you want to win, pick the American

I'm not sure if it's the two action screws of the American compared to the Varmint's single action screw and separate barrel lug screw design. Or, the Americans almost magical balance. Or, something about the way CZ makes the skinny little American barrels. Whatever, in hard shooting head to head competition at my local club, the Varmints have ended up at home on match days.

Many consider the USBR "Green Monster" target the most challenging rimfire benchrest target. A group of USBR shooters compete on the third Saturdays at my local club. The USBR Sporter Class rifle is a factory sporter with limited mods allowed. These guys tried Varmints but they have virtually all returned to the Americans. Here are our club records:

50 Yard Club USBR Records

Unlimited Class
246/4X, Steve Stone, Anshutz 54, Weaver T-36, Eley Tenex, March 19, 2011

Custom Class
245-6X, Barry Holmes, Anschutz MPR, Weaver T-36, Lapua Center X, August 15, 2009

Sporter Class
238-2X, Willie Rhodes,CZ American, Weaver 20X, Lapua Center X, July 16, 2011

Americans run with and exceed Anschutz, Cooper, Savage, and Kimber sporters regularly in these BR matches.

We also shoot a local 50 yard rimfire sporter match called the 50/25 Sporter Match. The shooter comes to the line with a sub 8.5 lb. sporter and has 10 minutes to engage 25 steel silhouettes offhanded from 50 yards with 30 rounds. One's score is the number of silhouettes he/she leaves standing with the number left standing in the top row serving as a tiebreaker. I have cleaned the rack twice this year using my CZ American.

Here are the October 1st 50/25 Sporter Silhouette Match results:

Telescopically Sighted Class

1st 0X0 Danny Creasy, CZ 452 American, SK Std Plus
2nd 3X3 Dwight Pilkilton, CZ 452 American, CCI Std Vel
3rd 8X6 Thomas Reed, CZ 455 American, SK Std Plus
4th 9X6 David Malone, Ruger 10/22, CCI SV
5th 10X6 Robert Patterson, Winchester Wildcat, CCI SV
5th 10X6 Ulus Farris, CZ American, CCI SV
6th 11X6 Paul Enlow, CZ 452 American Tribal, CCI MiniMag HP
6th 11X6 Ricky King, Savage Mk II, Wolf MT
7th 12X7 Joe Caldwell, CZ 452 American, Aguila SV
8th 13X7 Ben Broyles, Ruger 10/22, CCI SV
9th 14X6 Mike, Savage Mk II, Winchester Bulk
10th 15X6 Willie Rhodes, Ruger 10/22, CCI Blazer
11th 15X6 Peary Willard, Remington 581L, Fed 510B

Last edited by Danny Creasy; October 4, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old October 5, 2011, 03:06 PM   #8
redrick

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a 452 American Monday from my local gun store. He said it might be here by the end of the week.

Now to decide what kind of glass to put on it.
Old October 5, 2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Danny Creasy

I highly recommend the Weaver 6-20X40 Grand Slam

It is an awesome all-around scope. I mounted it on my CZ American with some B-Square high air rifle rings.

Old October 5, 2011, 11:24 PM   #10
Jeff56

I have a Weaver T-36 on my 453 but I'm only using it for paper punching currently. You can reach out and smack something with a scope that powerful. But on my Savage 12 I have a Simmons 6-18X40. It works great on anything that has high contrast but shooting at paper with that scope is kinda tough. It's more of a varmint style scope. It surprised me being as good as it is for the money it cost. I have much more expensive scopes that don't work as well.