The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 22, 2008, 10:21 AM   #1
eaglesnester

Speer Grand Slams

I live in the central part of B.C. Canada in the bush. I can hunt elk, moose, black bear, grizz, white tail, mule deer. couger, wolves, and yotes almost out my front door. I am currently hunting with a 308 Norma Mag loaded with 70gr of IMR4831 at a MV of 2941 with a 200gr Grand Slam Speer. I prefer a heaver load as we have such a wide variety of game that you can hunt at the same time. Being a new hunter and reloader my question is: Do you all think that my bullet choice is ok? Game can be taken at ranges anywhere from 50yds and closer to over 300yds in the clear cut choppens. What round would you all choose if you could hunt all of these critters at the same time?
Old January 22, 2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Relod'n

Sounds like it is pretty well rounded to me. I reload varmint loads and 30-06. 180 grains 30-06 is more than adequate to take Deer and Black Bear. 200 grains is overkill (IMHO) on coyote sized game. I like something like a 22-250 with a 50-55 grain Nozler Ballistic Tip. Gets its impact numbers from shear velocity rather than mass. But better to be overdone than underdone if bear might fall into the sites the same day. Cougar. Wolves, out of my area of knowledge.

What is a “Yote”? Short for Coyote?
Old January 23, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Iosco-Bucks

For the last 5-10 years or so, I've been shooting Speer Nitrex ammo in my 308Win. My Ruger M77 Varmint seems to like it. The first box I bought was loaded with the 165gr grand slam, and the second box was loaded with the 180gr grand slam bullet. With the way this round dumps whitetails, like they were hit with a magnum, I was certainly satisified with the performance. The last 6pt I shot with it somersaulted into a ditch. After the shot, he kicked and tried to run, instead he tucked his head under and flipped forward into the ravine.

I wrote to Speer asking where I could find this ammo these days and their reply stated that they discontinued production of this ammo back in 2000. I'm thinking I can still find a box or two somewhere.

When I run out of that ammo, I'll probably have to look to start handloading. I think Federal Premium has a Speer Grand Slam load.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:50 AM   #4
taylorce1

I haven't tried any yet but I do have a box of .338 250 grain on the bench that I should get around to loading. The Grand Slam bullets have a pretty good and proven track record and if they group and shoot good out of your rifle use them. I'm partial to the Nosler Partitions for reloading in a premium bullet but I'll try anything if the price is right and I can get them to shoot well.

Welcome to TFL!
Old January 23, 2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Scorch

I loaded and shot some game with Speer Grand Slams years ago, annd results were OK but decided on Nosler Partitions instead. I have never looked back.
Old January 24, 2008, 03:53 AM   #6
Buzzcook

I don't have a problem with the bullet.
You're loaded for bear and that pretty much does for everything else.