The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 20, 2013, 06:31 PM   #26
g.willikers

Did anyone mention a clocking extractor as a cause for having to duck flying brass?

And another vote for increasing extractor tension to cure dented brass from a standard port height slide.
No need for the dremel.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:44 PM   #27
spacemanspiff

My Kimber started hitting me in the forehead with brass with the last round out of a mag every now and then. Started noticing those cases were dented. Tried a lot of different solutions. New mags, variety of different mags, recoil springs, heavy springs, standard springs.
It got so bad that that occasionally the case wouldnt clear the port at ejection, and create a jam that was not fun.
This was on about 7 out of 10 magazines ran through the Kimber.

Took it to a friends shop, they said 'Kimbers have really high ejectors, we'll have it shaved down, that should fix it.'

Which I let them do, but never made sense. Had the gun since 2003, why would it just NOW start chewing the case mouth of the last round of a magazine? The gun wasnt defective, it had to be something was worn, right?

But few of the 'experts' agreed and the very last thing to try was a new extractor. Something that used to be stocked in every gunshop, but not anymore.
So I took it to another friends shop, he put a new extractor in it, and ran some mags thru, though I have yet to make it to the range to see if that solved the problem.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Ifishsum

The extractor does rotate a little bit - the next Midway order I place will include a new firing pin stop. I did compare the extractor on this one to the Colt, worked on the nose a little bit and readjusted tension - it now grips the case like the Colt, we'll see if that helps some.
Old June 21, 2013, 06:31 AM   #29
polyphemus

Quote:
My Kimber started hitting me in the forehead with brass with the last round out of a mag every now and then. Started noticing those cases were dented. Tried a lot of different solutions. New ma
gs, variety of different mags, recoil springs, heavy springs, standard springs.
None of the above would resolve the issue.
Quote:
Took it to a friends shop,
This made it even worse.
Quote:
The gun wasnt defective, it had to be something was worn, right?
Wrong,something needed to be adjusted.
Quote:
So I took it to another friends shop
More trips to your friends' shops,maybe this one knows what he's doing.
Good luck.