The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 5, 2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Teirst

Recommend a 38 for CCW for my wife?

So my wife is looking for her first ccw gun and has a thing for revolvers. I can't talk her into carrying on her waist so it will be carried in her purse.

Looking for a 38, hammerless, snub nose preferably with a grip large enough for her whole hand.
Old September 5, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2
ritepath

My wife carries a stainless 642 with CT grips.

The crimson trace is a larger grip than the stock grip giving a more secure hold.

Let's face it females aren't going to dress around a firearm...that's just the way it is. Mine has instead invested in cc purses...one or two a year.

She loves the little gun the trigger is DAO trigger is actually pretty good. She sure can shoot it with the laser on...
Old September 5, 2013, 01:22 PM   #3
BigJimP

S&W has a bunch of options...models 38, 42, etc....

she needs to go to a range that rents guns, in my opinion, and try a number of guns chambered in .38 spl / or .357 mag ....with and without hammers ( even like an old model 10 - or maybe a model 19 or 66 ) ....so she can decide what suits her for size, grip, weight, sights, hammer or no hammer...and how it shoots for her ....( she may like some of the air weight models / or she may hate them )....but bottom line, make her decison on what "she" likes the best on looks and on how it shoots.
Old September 5, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teirst View Post
So my wife is looking for her first ccw gun and has a thing for revolvers. I can't talk her into carrying on her waist so it will be carried in her purse.

Looking for a 38, hammerless, snub nose preferably with a grip large enough for her whole hand.
Don't pick a gun for her, and don't ask us to. Take her to a range or gun store and let her try some out. The fact if the matter is that snub .38s have a decent bit of recoil, and some women really dot like them. Add to that a heavier DA pull that is harder to shoot well and you could very well be picking a gun for her that she will never use.
Old September 5, 2013, 02:26 PM   #5
mrray13

I'd also suggest your wife check out pax's website, corneredcat, she provides lots of good information.
Old September 5, 2013, 02:29 PM   #6
PetahW

+1 - I made the mistake of picking out a CCW for my youngest Daughter (she's an adult). .

She soon made it known that she really didn't like it - settling instead on a .38 S&W Airweight DA revolver, that she loves to shoot the snot out of.

Old September 5, 2013, 02:35 PM   #7
FM12

Go to www.corneredcat.com Moderator Pax's website. Read it together.
Old September 5, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Teirst

Just a note, obviously I am going to get her to try before we buy I was more looking to find out if there are a lot of options besides a 642 with aftermarket grips.

She is concerned with the gun moving around in her purse that a gun with a hammer might cause an ad in her purse thus the desire for hammer less.
Old September 5, 2013, 08:19 PM   #9
rdmallory

My wife ended up with a .327 magnum. About the same size with a little more punch.

Doug
Old September 5, 2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

My wife carries a 637 Airweight. Hard to go wrong with a snub nose.
Old September 5, 2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Crazy88Fingers

A hammer won't likely cause an AD inside a purse. Something inside the trigger guard, however, might. Keep it in some sort of holster or its own separate compartment. A hammer may snag while drawing though. She'll have to experiment.

Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Charter Arms. If I'm in the market for a revolver those are the companies I'm looking at. Hit the gun show!
Old September 6, 2013, 01:17 AM   #12
Teirst

I would be getting her a small holster for sure for inside her purse....not 100% sure what kind but something small to obviously keep the trigger protected.
Old September 6, 2013, 01:52 AM   #13
rotten mick

Best let her choose it. But if shes set on .38 show her some .357's.mag. She can still shoot .38 with the option of carrying a hotter round later on.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:01 AM   #14
JimmyR

Honestly, for purse carry, I might reccomend a 3" revolver, and even a DAO with a bobbed hammer. Perhaps a Ruger SP101 might fit her bill nicely, and the suggestion of looking for a 357 is a good one- the additional caliber as well as a little extra heft for absorbing recoil.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:30 AM   #15
twobit

My wife now carries a Ruger LCR. She loves the trigger on it and the soft recoil. Her former gun was a Walther PPK but she got tired of the excessively heavy trigger and the too strong slide spring. She loves her LCR. She either carries in a inside the waistband holster or in a purse specifically made with a built-in holster (purse came from Sportsman Guide). It is a really nice purse and not too expensive. The shoulder strap even has a steel cable built in so no purse snatcher can cut the strap with a knife.
Old September 6, 2013, 11:33 AM   #16
bedbugbilly

My comment isn't about what your wife may like in regards to a pistol.

My comment is in regards to her purse. I've been married 42 years and one place I don't venture into is her purse! What I mean is, if I have to get a checkbook out or some other item, I hand the purse to her as if I were to venture in there I would be lost for a week! And I can't even begin to list the number of times I have watched her "search" her purse for something.

If your wife is going to "purse carry" . . . I would suggest that she look in to the purses that are designed for carry. I've seen some pretty nice purses at different gun shows that have a special compartment just for the handgun . . . .. that the purse owner knows about, isn't obvious but easy to get to if necessary. I have a "shooting buddy" where we spend winters in AZ and she showed me one that she picked up - it was very nice. She has a Sig .380 and she liked the concept of the carry purse just because the handgun was accessible and she didn't have to worry about "hunting" for it if she needed it. You and your wife might check 'em out - probably a search on the net would show suppliers as well. And hey, every woman loves purses . . . it would offer you another "gift idea" for holidays, birthday, etc.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 6, 2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Andy Blozinski

I've got a Chiappa Rhino .38/.357 2" barrel, hammerless.
It hardly has any recoil with .38s. There's a noticeable push back, but no muzzle flip with .357 magnums.
The two main things I didn't like about it was the lack of rear sight on the hammerless and the heavy trigger pull. Otherwise I'd not go with another revolver. If I had this to do over again I'd get the version with the hammer just so I could have a rear sight.
Old September 6, 2013, 07:02 PM   #18
huskybiker

My wife and daughter both have Taurus 85CH (concealed hammer) models. They're a little heavier than the Airweights (17oz, I think). I installed Wolff spring kits in them and Houge grips. They are fine little carry guns.
Old September 6, 2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Garycw

Those charter arms with all the wild colors are the lightest 38spl I've seen at just 10oz if weight is a big concern. They come in hammer less too. Not as good as a S&W , but I'm sure they go bang

Last edited by Garycw; September 7, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old September 7, 2013, 05:58 AM   #20
CajunBass

I don't think anybody who asks this question is thinking "If Joe Blow recomends brand X I'm going to to buy brand X for my wife." They're looking for ideas to look at. Brand X might be an option they or their wife hadn't thought of. Doesn't mean they're going to buy it.

These days my wife carries a Charter Arms "Lavender Lady" in 38 Special. Very light as someone else says, it does kick a bit, but the grips absorb it well. Not a bad little gun for the money.

My wife carries in her purse also, but she doesn't just drop the gun down into the purse. She has a "Pistol Packing Mama" brand purse with a dedicated pocket with a built in holster for the gun. Nothing else goes in there, so nothing can get into the trigger, or push against the hammer. It has a piece of steel cable that runs through the strap to preven the strap being cut in a grab attempt. They come in all shapes and sizes and colors. I don't know about your wife, but I know I can tell her it's not a good idea to carry in her purse all I want to, but SHE thinks it's the best place to carry it. I don't fight battles I know I'm going to lose.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 7, 2013, 10:40 AM   #21
KMAX

I see the S&W 642 has been recommended. I carried one for a few months. I traded it off because I couldn't live with the finish falling off. It looked horrible. I realize it wasn't one of S&Ws $700-800 guns, only $400, but it was still disappointing. Also and more importantly, the Airweights have a fair amount of recoil due to the light weight. This might discourage much needed practice shooting to develop or maintain the skill required to shoot a snub nose adequately. A little more weight might be beneficial in taming some recoil. If she is carrying the gun in he purse the extra weight might not even be noticeable. Just a couple of things to consider.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 7, 2013, 01:43 PM   #22
Teirst

I am going to get an SP101 as well for myself that I will be happy to let her use to let her use for "snub basics".

I will also invest on some bigger grips for the 642 so that she can get a third finger on it.

I figured practice with a sp101, bigger grips, and some light 38 target loads for her 642 would be enough....am I incorrect?
Old September 7, 2013, 01:57 PM   #23
Revoltella

Snubbies rarely make good first guns. They're not a beginner's gun.
Since she's not going to pocket carry it, you can mitigate some of the disadvantages of a snubby as a first gun by getting her a steel frame one instead of an Airweight.

When my wife first got her permit, I got a 442, figuring if she wanted to carry it she could. She fired 3 rounds through it, put it down and said she never wanted to see it again. She now has a Model 36 I put some Pachmeyer grips on for her and she's fine with it. Keeps it in her car so it's always available.
Old September 7, 2013, 07:56 PM   #24
KMAX

She just might want to take your SP101 for herself. I would if it were me. IMO the SP101 is so far superior to the 642 there is no real comparison. $.02.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 7, 2013, 08:41 PM   #25
jim8115

Before you buy her a lightweight J frame or similiar, i would suggest finding somewhere she can try one out. A lot of people dont like the recoil on those things, even with a standard 38 load