The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 1, 2009, 03:40 PM   #1
robert60446

Savage Arms Mark II BTVS .22 LR

Hi guys,
This is my newest addition to my small armory...Savage Arms Mark II BTVS .22 LR. After my first trip to shooting range (today) I have to say that i'm impressed (so far) with this little beast. From 50 yards using Wolf 40g ammo i have managed to keep consistent groups in.327"(from prone position with bipod). The real problem with it is that after few shots on your target usually center of the target is replaced with black hole...Anyhow, few things which i don't like: bolt is made really rough - a lot of sharp edges on it. Also trigger could be lighter, i may try to adjust it but if i'm correct in user manual they stated that rifle was shipped with minimum trigger pull settings...we will see. Overall i think it was a great purchase (so far) and i'm very happy with this Savage product.

Old March 1, 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
MacGille

My Savage 9317bvss was also rough with sharp edges. I polished all the surfaces after stoning the rough edges. It is smooth and polished now. I don't mind doing some of the hand finishing work if the prices can stay lower. Your .22 looks great and shoots great, what more can you ask of a low cost rifle?
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old March 1, 2009, 03:52 PM   #3
.300 Weatherby Mag

I own a btvs... Savage rifles do not always come set at the minimum pull... I just picked up a 12 series rifle that has a trigger adjustable down to 1.5 pounds, it came set around 3 from the factory... They mark II's come rough but should smooth out over time...

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; March 1, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old March 1, 2009, 04:35 PM   #4
robert60446

Hi guys,
I will probably do some hand finishing on my own as well. No big deal. More important to me was overall rifle performance and honestly i was taken by the surprise, especially because this Mark II BTVS proved to be very accurate and repeatable - so no need for any fancy "upgrades"...at least for now...
Old March 2, 2009, 08:24 AM   #5
yotesmoker

YO Robert....What make and size bipod is that? I have the same rifle in 22 mag and its a real tack driver.
Old March 2, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
sholling

I've always thought that Savage was one of the best looking off the shelf 22s on the market. I don't own one but I believe that those triggers can go as low as 2lbs.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:02 PM   #7
robert60446

HI yotesmoker,
It is it Rock Mount by Shooters Ridge. Height 6-9".
Old March 2, 2009, 03:28 PM   #8
PoorSoulInJersey

I picked one of those up last month. I really liked it, with the wood finish and the thumbhole stock, it's all I could have wanted in a bolt action 22 (not to mention I got it for about $250 new!)
Old March 2, 2009, 04:01 PM   #9
T.A.Sharps

100 yard groupings?
Old March 2, 2009, 04:21 PM   #10
robert60446

T.A. i didn't have a chance to shoot this past weekend @ 100 yards targets. I hope to accomplish this next weekend...honestly i'm dying to see what this puppy can do @ 100...
Old March 4, 2009, 01:02 PM   #11
T.A.Sharps

I've heard of some good groupings, can't remember if I heard of good 100 yard ones or just 50 yard groups have been something like .5" or less and I assumed a 1" at 100 yards.

I have been wanting one of these Mark 2's for a while now to get some extra cheap trigger time. I've only read one review on them so far, and some people have talked about it having extraction problems or a stuck shell.

Although I can't remember any .22 I've ever shot being a perfect performing rifle.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:26 PM   #12
blacksky

Savage MKII @ 50 Yards

Savage MKII @ 50 Yards

Old March 4, 2009, 01:34 PM   #13
T.A.Sharps

Nice group.

Do you think the stock really helps all that much?

I've been looking at the standard black stocks. But everything about accuracy with the Mark 2 always uses the thumbhole stock.
Old May 12, 2009, 04:03 PM   #14
[email protected]

Savage BTVS

Try Rem. Eley Target Or Lapua Master L. Mine shoots .188 @ 50 yds. & .467 @ 100 yds. L.J.H.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:47 AM   #15
Pahoo

Is the reciever S.S. or white plated metal?

robert
Ordered one two weeks ago and truly appreciate your "Range-Report".
Yesterday I purchased a 10Rnd. S.S. magazine as the rifle comes with a 5RND. In the past, I have bought ammo before I bought the gun but this is the first time I bought a magazine before I got the gun. I have held these rifles and it points just great. Will have to see how it holds with a scope.

Is the reciever S.S. or white plated metal? The one I held, had a S.S. barrel and blues reciever. According to the factory listing, the rifle comes with a min. trigger pull of 2.5-Lb. For the bench, I will take it under that but not yet sure how I will do this.

Again, I thank you for your post !!!

BE Safe !!!
Old May 13, 2009, 11:52 AM   #16
SPUSCG

what you using for scopes? I love my mark 2 and one of those is calling my name.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:27 AM   #17
HShack

Mk II BTVS accuracy

I too have one; came with a Simmons 3-9 scope. Love it.

The Savage website will direct you to an article from "Outdoor Life" magazine which tested the BTVS & declared it the most accurate they had ever tested [inluding some high-dollar European models]. Five shot groups averaged under 1/4" @ 50 yds., with one under 1/8".
Old May 14, 2009, 12:58 PM   #18
rickdavis81

I have one in the Mako Laminate stock and couldn't be happier.

PAHOO If you do a search for the savage mark II trigger jobs there are some good reads. I clipped a few coils off of the trigger spring under the accutrigger adjusting screw. I also smoothed some of the trigger surfaces up. It's setting at about a pound right now. Any lower it locks up the accutrigger blade. I took the blade out and had it around 8 ounces but didn't like it that light. Nice thing is if you get it to low just turn up the accutrigger adjusting screw and it'll raise the weight.
Old May 14, 2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Evan Thomas

I wish you folks would stop posting pictures of this rifle. I never thought I'd want a rifle with a thumbhole stock, but in spite of myself, I love the looks of that thing. And accurate, too... I want one.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:07 PM   #20
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
wish you folks would stop posting pictures of this rifle. I never thought I'd want a rifle with a thumbhole stock, but in spite of myself, I love the looks of that thing. And accurate, too... I want one.

Old May 14, 2009, 04:08 PM   #21
Pahoo

Quote:
PAHOO If you do a search for the savage mark II trigger jobs there are some good reads.
Rick,
Truly appreciate the tip and will certainly do just that. I am usually fairly happy with 1.5 to 2.0. But looks like this beauty will give me all the options I need. The thumbhole stock really fits well and will probably not go any higher than a 40MM objective bell as I want to stay close to the comb. Still asking about the reciever on the S.S. model. Is it truly a S.S. grade or white metal coating. I can tell that the 10rnd S.S. rated magazine is plated and not S.S. The finish is just not there for S.S. and don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that.
Just wondering about the reciever ??? ....

I thank you again and can't wait to get mine!!!

Be Safe !!!
Old May 14, 2009, 04:12 PM   #22
.300 Weatherby Mag

The reciever is stainless!!!!!!!
Old June 18, 2009, 06:38 PM   #23
samcat

samcat

I recently purchased BTVS .22 LR, with a simmons scope. The gun handles very well, just a touch heavy on the barrel, but very accurate. The only problem I am having it that it does not always eject spent shells. The dealer told me to use a higher grade of bullets??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx, samcat
Old June 18, 2009, 10:07 PM   #24
rickdavis81

Samcat,
Is it not pulling them out of the chamber, like the extractor is slipping off? You can send it back to savage and they will fix it for free. Great customer service.
Old June 19, 2009, 07:04 PM   #25
samcat

Thanks for the reply.

I can load the clip, and aject all the full shells with no problem, but it seeems that if I fire one or two shells, it won;t extract the spent shell that is in the chamber, unless I pulle the clip and rebolt. Dealer said it was cheap ammo, I think it is bull****. The extractor fingers seem fine, one is supposed to rounded on the edge, and the other is supposed to have a sharp hook. At least I think thst's the way it should be. Savage arms does not accept any e-mails for customer service either. I am at a loss. samcat ([email protected])