The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 31, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
flintlock.50

gray squirrel anatomy

I'm a little new to squirrel hunting. I shot 4 grays this morning, all males. They have the expected male anatomy, though the fur on the scrotum is very dark, almost black. When I skinned them, I was surprised to find two almost white jelly bean sized lumps on either side of the anus. All four had them. It's definitely a different color from the meat, very light colored. What are these bulbous "things"? I don't believe these are testicles. I could feel those in the scrotum. Anyone know what these are?

Thanks

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old December 31, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Pahoo

You shouldn't play with your food.

I have seen these before and call them wax pockets. Been told that they use them to mark there scent. The ones I've seen, were almost white and pea size. ...

This will be my first and last reply on this question .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 31, 2011, 09:18 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

We always called them scent glands but we could have always been wrong about that though.

Brent
Old January 1, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Pahoo

Only males

I forgot to mention that I have only seen these present in males and not females. By my measure, the grays are better eating than the others but have never eaten a Red squirrel. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2012, 12:53 PM   #5
shortwave

+ 1 on the 'scent glands'

That's what we've always called them also.
Old January 1, 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Pahoo

More glands

Quote:
When I skinned them, I was surprised to find two almost white jelly bean sized lumps on either side of the anus.
While you're in there routin around, look deep into the armpits and you will find another set of glands. These look like a patch of fat and should be removed at cleaning. These are often overlooked and don't tast the best. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2012, 05:15 PM   #7
twobit

were they on this species of squirrel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squirreldeer.jpg (9.8 KB, 91 views)
Old January 1, 2012, 07:24 PM   #8
flintlock.50

I'm familiar with the scent glands under the armpits,

and I try to remove those, though they are slippery and a challenge to remove. I've found that on some squirrels, these glands include a small bean-shaped gland. On others, there is mostly just the patch of fatty tissue that you mention. Armpit glands, yes. But I definitely wasn't expecting the waxy white bean-like "lumps" at the tail. I've done some looking on the internet, but haven't come up with a definitive answer.

One site said squirrel testes descend into a "temporary scrotum" that is present only during the breeding season. One video said that very dark hair on the scrotum indicates a young squirrel. I haven't found anything about the white lumps under the tail.

Old January 1, 2012, 07:30 PM   #9
flintlock.50

I should add that I've had to execute a delinquent squirrel or two

which I caught in the act of burglarizing my bird feeder. This wasn't always during the breeding season. Mostly they've been females, but on occasion the culprit was a male. I've never seen these white lumps before.

It also seems unusual that all six of the squirrels I've shot in the last two weeks have been males.

Old January 2, 2012, 06:25 PM   #10
langenc

Squirrels will be rutting here about the end of this month.

Could those glands be for wax to seal the female after fertilization? It seems I have read about a 'wax plug' being involved in that process..
Old January 3, 2012, 11:07 AM   #11
bird_dog

The glands are bigger in larger squirrels:

Old January 3, 2012, 08:26 PM   #12
pbrktrt

Probably anal glands, just like dogs have.