The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1
G&G

Questions for CrustyFN

Seems as if I have the same equipment as you do.
Lee Classic Turret Press
CZ 75BD (Mine is not the Police model)
My rounds don't always chamber all the way. Seems as if the round gets wedged in the chamber. I've got to drop the mag and rack the slide. All factory loads with 115 round point fire without a problem. My reloads are being temper mental. I had to stop IDPA tonight and just shoot out my rounds on the range, trying to figure out the problem
Powder is TITEGROUP with Auto Disc at .34
Bullet is Ranier Ballistics 124 FP
Primer is CCI
When it comes to reloading, I'm a rookie.
Could you give me some tips as to how to get this glitch smoothed out?
Thanks
G&G
Old May 2, 2007, 06:02 AM   #2
CrustyFN

What is your OAL on the 124 FP? The 124 FP's I used were wider farther out than a RN. I had to take one and keep seating it until it would chamber, then I re-seated the rest and the problem was gone. Take the barrel out of your gun and seat the bullet a little at a time until it drops all the way into the barrel on it's own. Tip the barrel up and it should fall back out on it's own. Thats where you want it to be. I think I ended up with a OAL of 1.030. I will check when I get home and let you know. I cut back to 4 grains of Titegroup on those. I think that was .32 on the pro auto, check it on your scale.
Rusty
Old May 2, 2007, 05:24 PM   #3
layusn1

Thread hijack but sorta related warning.

Wow, that must be one seriously thick bullet with very little taper. I have never loaded those but was surprised at the OAL difference. I seat x-treme 124gr plated RN bullets at 1.140 for my CZ75. I never did get a load going for the Horandy XTPs. I couldn't get the to fit near the recommended OAL. I really wanted to give those a try.

I have only used HS 6 and HP 38 for that gun. Do you guys recommend a different powder? I had decent luck with the HP 38 and Winchester 124gr FMJs but that was about the only load out of like 10 different powder and bullet comments that I have tried that I am satisfied with.
Old May 2, 2007, 08:02 PM   #4
CrustyFN

I seat RN at 1.135. I have been playing with powder charges but not changing OAL yet.
Quote:
Bullet is Ranier Ballistics 124 FP
I looked at my bullets and the 124's are Berry's, my 147's are Ranier. The Berry's 124 are the ones I had a problem with. I ended up with a OAL of 1.036 to be able to get them to chamber.

Here is a picture of the 124 FN next to a 115 RN I hope this picture turned out good enough so you can see the difference.

This last picture is my dummy round that I use to reset my seating die when I change back from a different type of bullet. The dummy round has no primer or powder, I just make one in every type of bullet to help me reset my seating die faster. Start low and work it up to be safe. I have loaded these at this OAL to 4.3 grains of Titegroup without any signs of overpressure, 4.4 is max.

I hope this helps. I just want to stress for you to start low and work your load up because your results may very from mine..Rusty
Old May 3, 2007, 08:36 PM   #5
G&G

Thanks for the help

Seems as if I had set my bullet to be the same OAL of a factory load 115 RP. It just wasn't seated deep enough. I took the barrel out of my CZ & kept increasing the bullet depth until it would drop out on its own. Now the OAL is 1.039 with the Ranier 124 FP. I loaded 50 rounds. I'll post the results.
Thanks
G&G
Old May 3, 2007, 09:01 PM   #6
CrustyFN

Sounds good. That should cure your problem. Let us know how they shoot.
Rusty
Old May 5, 2007, 01:28 AM   #7
G&G

I'm in trouble now

First of all to layusn1, I've just entered the world of reloading so TITEGROUP is the only powder that I have any experience with. The guys at IDPA who reload recommended it so that's what I went with. I'll reload another 500 bullets of 124 then I'll try 147.

To CrustyFN: Thanks once again. I went to the range tonight & put 100 rounds through my CZ 75BD. Like buttah. Not 1 glitch, hangup, jam or stovepipe! I came home and made another 150 rounds. Got to control this addiction.
Old May 5, 2007, 11:02 AM   #8
CrustyFN

Quote:
Got to control this addiction.
Good luck with that.
Quote:
I've just entered the world of reloading so TITEGROUP is the only powder that I have any experience with. The guys at IDPA who reload recommended it so that's what I went with. I'll reload another 500 bullets of 124 then I'll try 147.
I'm glad you got your problem fixed. Be very careful using Titedroup with 147 grain bullets. Accordiny to my Speer 13 manual a 147 takes 3.3 grains of Titegroup. I don't think the regualr disk goes that low and I had trouble throwing that with the adjustable charge bar with my setup. I tried to throw 3 grains being it is a plated bullet. I ended up with a squib and had to stop shooting because I didn't have anything with me to clear the barrel. I installed a light on my press after that so I can see the powder charge in every case before the bullet goes on. I load all of my 147 grain bullets now with HS-6 and that made it easier at around 5 grains. Here is a picture of the light.
Rusty

Old May 5, 2007, 04:18 PM   #9
G&G

Thanks for the heads up using Titegroup with 147grain bullets. I'll listen to the voice of experience rather than to try something on my own and get a surprise that I do not want. The goose neck flashlight is a great idea. I tried to post a picture with my last thread but it didn't make it. I guess the electrons took a digital detour.

G&G