The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2000, 10:09 PM   #1
Cosmoline

I recently picked up a tumbler and I've set about cleaning all the cases I've set aside. Now that I've got all this nice clean brass, I'm looking for advice on the best presses, scales, etc. I'll mostly be reloading .45 LC and .45 ACP.

------------------
"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the state or political subdivision of the State." Alaska State Constitution, Art. 1, Sec 19.
Old October 8, 2000, 11:22 PM   #2
rr41mag

I like the RCBS stuff. Check midway they are a good co. www.midwayusa.com

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old October 9, 2000, 02:04 AM   #3
beemerb

Single stage RCBS is the best.Progressive I would think about a Dillon.Prefer the 550B at about 500 rds an hr you can't beat it.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old October 9, 2000, 12:52 PM   #4
Mikul

Dillon's Square Deal B is cheaper than the 550, and automatically indexes the plate. If you ever want to reload rifle cartridges however, you'll have to upgrade.
Old October 9, 2000, 02:01 PM   #5
Jorah Lavin

I'm also looking at getting started reloading. I'll probably focus on reloading for my Kimber .45. My trouble is money... I've got a budget of around $500. I was thinking about going with the Lee Delux Pistol Kit. It looks like I'd also need a tumbler of some sort to clean up the brass, naturally powder... I've been told that "Unique" is the stuff to get. What else? I've read that getting the cases exactly the right length is important, so do I need a micrometer? I think that the Lee kit comes with a case trimmer. I'll need reloading manuals. I've searched the Web for some resource which lays out what I need _exactly_, and how to get started, but I've yet to find that resource. I can't even tell for sure if I can manage to get started for less than $500.

------------------
RKBA!
Madstone Press
http://www.madstone.net/
Gun-friendly Web development for small businesses.
Old October 9, 2000, 02:10 PM   #6
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Well, I'm also just starting out. I plan to load my first cases tonight. Here's what I've managed to glean so far from this forum:

1. Press--get a Rockchucker if you can. They're pretty neat. I can't really claim I sacrificed much to afford one; mine was a gift from a very generous member here.

2. Powder--Unique is supposedly very good stuff. I'm starting with .45 acp and plan to start in with .44 mag soon, so I wanted something versatile and forgiving. Only bought a pound of Unique just in case.

3. Tumbler--I don't have one. The impression that I get is that tumblers are nice and I'd like one eventually, but they aren't absolutely necessary. I just wash the brass thoroughly with hot water and cleanser, then let it dry and go from there. Yeah, it's not as shiny as it could be, but that doesn't really make any difference in shooting as long as it's clean when it goes into the die. The usual argument for tumbling is that shiny brass shows pressure warnings more clearly, but with .45 acp I don't expect that to be much of a concern. If I were loading .40 or .44 mag, I'd worry more about it.

I don't know if that helps but it's all I know. Wish me luck.
Old October 9, 2000, 02:32 PM   #7
Jorah Lavin

I was reading further down in the forum after my last reply and stumbled across the idea of searching for "newbie" in the Handloading archive... my word, food for thought indeed. I've got reading for several days right there. I think I'll have to start with a single-stage, even though I'd love to rip right into a Dillon progressive just because I really can't squeeze the money out of my budget right now. But after reading a bunch of posts, I'll probably go with RCBS over Lee... I keep seeing comments like "only press I ever broke" and "good design, bad materials," so my confidence is shaken! Thanks to everyone for an excellent forum... The Firing Line beats everything else on the Web hands down.