The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 7, 2000, 04:37 PM   #1
MGB

Does anyone have any experience with these lights? How do they compare with the Photon II microlight in terms of intensity, durability etc?
Old January 8, 2000, 05:28 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Come on guys. I'm waiting on input to this one myself.

MGB, are these the lights with semiconductor emitting elements? I have seen one somewhere (progear.com ?) that had a sapphire element.

BTW, for you guys that hunt hogs after dark and have a problem with the state law about 12V lights, like we do here in GA, Harbor Freight (or maybe Northern Hydraulics) has a rechargeable 6V that lasts 1.5 hrs and puts out 500K candle power.

Sensop
Old January 10, 2000, 10:31 AM   #3
ChuteTheMall

I'm looking for info. I couldn't compare them at a gun show, all plastic wrapped in a bright environment. I've seen a huge range of prices, roughly $10-25 for similiar stuff.
Also which colors for which uses?

Old January 11, 2000, 04:04 AM   #4
Kiwi

I got mine Emissive Energy about a month ago, the ad on Botach's web site said it was the brightese microlight in the market or something, but I can tell you it is nothing compare to Photon II.

1) Not as bright compare to Photon II 180 degree narrow beam light (about the same brightness as older version of Photon II)

2) No constant on/off switch

3) The metal clip (between the key ring and the actual light) is really a bad design. It's kind of a "U" shape clip (which I think the purpose of it is for quick release if you want to take the light away from your keys), but the problem is that the light is too easy to come off, and in my case I lost the bloody light about 2 weeks ago.

PS. My Photon II is still well and alive in my pocket.

Kiwi

Old January 11, 2000, 10:24 AM   #5
MGB

Thank you Kiwi for the information. Unfortunately, I went ahead and ordered one from Botach but I guess for $5.95 I'm not out much. BTW, I love my Photon IIs -- ecellent light, durable and always handy.
Old January 14, 2000, 03:49 PM   #6
MGB

Just received the Emissive Energy light (white) from Botach. I compared it side-by-side with my Photon II. The following are my observations:

1. The EE has a more focused beam that appears to be brighter than the PII. This may be due to the fact that the bulb on the EE is encased in the body of the light whereas the PII has a fully exposed bulb.

2. I have to agree with Kiwi that the EE retention method seems to be flimsy. The PII gies you the option of the lanyard, ring or velcro.

3. Both are powered by the same Li batteries and appear to have the same bulb.

4. While on sale the EE is about$8-10 cheaper than the PII.

5. The EE is slightly larger than the PII.

6. The EE lacks a continuous on switch.

Conclusion: If you can handle the retention system and the lack of continuous on switch, the EE is a very good value.
Old January 14, 2000, 10:43 PM   #7
Kiwi

MGB

Thanks for your short report on EE, I think you should try the new Photon II narrow beam (I'm not actually sure if it's called 180 degree).

When I compare PII narrow (white beam)and EE side by side, PII narrow simply put EE into shame!

P.S. If you want to order PII narrow, I suggest you ordering direct from Photon, since they just came out (about 2 months ago)and not many dealers would stock or even know about them yet, expecially Botach.

Kiwi
Old February 1, 2000, 01:11 AM   #8
NEKPHOTON

Actually, the new white Photon has been flowing through many dealers (as long as they have had minimal stock turnover) for the past few months. In fact, the new white is the only one available in the keyring model. If you want the lanyard-specific model, they are still available for a limited time in the older wide-beam pattern. The new beam is more focused (20º vs the older 30º) and has a better output due to the focus. The older version put out 1.82 candela v. the new one at 20.00 candela. No change in battery life, just a much more user friendly light.

I too like the Photon with all it's standard features much better than the EE version, but I've been selling them for a few years, so I probably have a bias. Or something. My 2¢.

------------------
Regards,
Tim
Nor'east Knives
[email protected]

There are two rules for ultimate success in life.
Never tell everything you know.

Old February 1, 2000, 09:51 PM   #9
Coyote

I currently have one of the wideangle white photons, and am thinking of picking up a narrow one. What's the cheapest place you guys have seen these?

-Coyote