The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 22, 2016, 09:41 AM   #1
nomad636

Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel

Hello all. I'm trying to decide between an AR10 in .308 or the 6.5 Grendel. I understand the weight and cost factors that come with an AR10 platform, but I was wanting someone who has some real world experience with the 6.5 Grendel to weigh in.

This rifle will be a hunting rifle. Everything from Deer to TX Hogs to the occasional NM Elk Hunt (one day when I can afford one).

I understand the core differences between the two cartridges, I just don't know anyone with a 6.5 that has ever hunted large game. Is the extra weight and propriateryness of the AR10 platform worth it, or would I be better served with a 6.5 Grendel?

At first glance, the 6.5 Grendel seems like a slow moving .243. I've heard of people using the .243 for elk hunting (I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that).

Feel free to chime in and give me some thoughts and advice.

I'm considering an Aero Precisin AR10 or an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel

Thanks!

Unless of course.... you can end him from a further distance.
Old January 22, 2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Jimro

Elk has been taken with a 6.5 Grendel. It was taken at relatively close range by the report I read.

But, the 308 will take elk at distances where the 6.5 is not an ethical option.

If it were me, AR-10.

Jimro
Old January 22, 2016, 11:13 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Which AA Grendel are you considering?

There are a few examples of elk being taken with a Grendel and though I am a fan, I would suggest that elk it probably at the far end of what you would want to hunt with them. Shot placement becomes that much more critical when you are using a small cartridge as compared to the size of the animal you want to take.

I hunt hogs and predators with my Grendels. With my 20" Grendel, firing 123 gr. Hornady SST factory ammo, I get comparable penetration on hogs that by buddy gets with his .308 firing 150 gr. Remington Core Lokt ammo.

https://youtu.be/0UCUaCnCryI

Reloaders shooting Barnes TTSX solid copper rounds tend to get good expansion and a lot of over penetration. I think that might be the route I would want to go with elk. The Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo does a fine job on hogs, in part because it penetrates well, but also because it fragments and tends to make wounds much larger than might be expected.

I would suggest going with the longest barrel length you think you can hunt with properly so as to get the most velocity out of the rounds because of the elk aspect.

I also hunt with a .308. I really like the .308 as well. I got my Grendel because I had a medical issue for a while that limited my ability to deal with recoil. I wanted more power than a .223, but my .308 was too much. The Grendel was a good choice and the high sectional density of the bullets gave me confidence about getting decent penetration. On hogs, overpenetration is the norm. There are a lot of variables involved, such as what is being hit, but I have had rounds overpenetrate shoulder to shoulder on hogs as large as 230 lbs. However, if I was hunting elk, I think I would rather use a .308, especially if hunting larger bulls. Heck, there can be as much difference in the weight of males over females as most hogs taken (700 lbs to 500 lbs). The .308 just offers a lot more power.

You might pose this question over on 65grendel.com. That is where the big fans of the caliber are.
Old January 22, 2016, 11:44 AM   #4
nomad636

Double Naught Spy

Man, I ended up watching all of the hog hunting thermal videos you posted. It looks like you have a good area for hog hunting. I really enjoyed them, keep em coming. Your hunting grounds aren't far from me. I'm in DFW. Formerly from Lubbock (where I had hunting land) but now that I'm in DFW I don't have anywhere to Hog hunt.

I was looking at getting the AA 18" 6.5 Hunter upper receiver. I just can't justify the extra $$$ for the overwatch upper.

I figured for the future elk hunt (if I took the 6.5 and not my .308) that I would use the AA TTSX rounds. They are pricy, but worth it based on reviews.

Unless of course.... you can end him from a further distance.
Old January 23, 2016, 02:22 AM   #5
stagpanther

the grendel can be an extraordinarily accurate cartridge with the right load and rifle. I've built one and with an 18" barrel the total weight of the rifle was not too much less than the newer "gen 2" style xx 10 platforms that are coming out. On the other hand--there is much less consistence in the xx 10 world (I just built a couple) if you're going the parted route. My inexpert opinion is if you're sure about your shot (terminal performance, range and aim) then you can do well with the grendel. While the same holds true for 308--it has more terminal performance so that opens your options up a bit.

Tags
.308 , 6.5 grendel , ar10