The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 8, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1
Wishn4aFNFal

Stevens vs. Savage .243 for youth hunter

Savage .243 Youth or a Stevens .243 Short for a young hunter; I was recently told there is virtually no difference except the Stevens does not have the accu-trigger. The major advantage with the Stevens would be a cost savings for a very good rifle that will last and be dependable. Both come with package deals and a solid, entry level optic. Is this too good to be true? Considering both are built side by side and the high quality reputation coming out of the box Savage weapons are quietly known for, I really want to know if there is a catch. All thoughts appreciated.
Old August 8, 2011, 03:06 AM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

The optics on the package guns are complete crap... You would better off buying either gun without a scope and putting something serviceable on the gun that will last more than a few rounds... And buy the Savage with the Accutrigger... There is nothing wrong with either gun, but you cannot go wrong with the accutrigger... Out of the box, the Stevens will have a sub-par trigger that will require a trigger job to get to a decent pull weight and feel...

Disclaimer: I love the accutrigger and will not tolerate crappy triggers on any of my guns...
Old August 8, 2011, 03:21 AM   #3
ndking1126

This is going to kind of answer your question about the Remington with this, too.

But yes, they are the same weapon except the Accu-trigger and the writing on the bolt.

I would recommend the savage so you get the better trigger. One very important aspect to accuracy is how well you operate the trigger. You want to pull it strait back and you should pull it in a manner that it surprises you when it goes off. That requires a constant, but very slow addition of force from your finger. No yanking or jerking.

On the other hand, the Stevens is a good rifle (I bought one in .223) and can always be upgraded as you go.. of course you are paying for parts that you know you are going to replacing which doesn't always make sense.

Last edited by ndking1126; August 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old August 8, 2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Jimro

For hunting either is fine. The old style trigger on the Stevens isn't as nice as the new accutrigger, but it won't ruin a hunt. I've had several Savages with the stock trigger safely adjusted down to about 5 lbs and that is plenty for a hunting rifle. Once you get below about 4 lbs the rifle may discharge when bumped on the floor.

If you have to spend extra money on something for a youth hunter, let it be good optics.

If you can afford to get the Accutrigger, by all means get it as a decent replacement trigger for a Stevens or old style Savage is usually around $100 US.

Jimro
Old August 13, 2011, 07:44 PM   #5
chucknbach

So which one did you decide on?

I went with a ruger compact in .243.
Old August 13, 2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Jim243

Both are excelent rifles, BUT a big but is the Accutrigger, there is no beating it I have 3 Savages 2 with and one without. You can not replace the standard trigger with a Accutrigger, you will have to buy a $195.00 replacement for the Stevens. It just makes more sense to go with the Savage with a Accutrigger, it is adjustable so it presents no problem for a hunting rifle. As to the scope, it is a decent hunting 3-9x40mm scope, not what the scope snobs would use, but no problem for a kids first riffle (it comes with a $89.00 Simmons or Bushnell) but spending an additional $500.00 on his first scope makes no sense.

Just my opinion
Jim
Old August 13, 2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Sarge

I've tried the accu-trigger on a couple of Savages and much prefer--and shoot better with--the old style. Different strokes.
Old August 13, 2011, 10:57 PM   #8
M.O.A.

For one i would go with the savage just for the accutrigger.

But if you go with the stevens and find that the trigger is subpar you can get a timney custom trigger for $110 bucks out of midway. I would get the one thats just the rifle be cause the scope on the package deals are junk and if you want one ill give you one off of a 93r17 that i bought there junk and i wont use them i have a few laying around here.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Scout

I agree with sarge...the old style trigger works great for me. I have a 25 year old 110 and it shoots like a dream. I now have added a Stevens 200 and it is also a fantastic shooter, stock trigger and all.