The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 30, 2014, 07:29 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Graf's Black Powder

Anyone tried Graf's Black Powder?

Grafs prices on Goex are VERY attractive. 15.99 lb. You have to pay the haz mat fee. THe Graf's black is 14.99, Goex Olde Eynesford 16.99.

I NEED to just find a place that I can just drive to pick some up!

Last edited by deerslayer303; December 30, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old December 30, 2014, 08:09 PM   #2
kwhi43

Why would anybody want to pay the Haz-Mat fee when it is included at Powder Inc prices?
Old December 30, 2014, 08:49 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Even Paying it and ordering in bulk (say a 5LB lot) the price is still cheaper than Powder inc. when comparing prices for Goex.
Old December 30, 2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

I use Grafs (relabeled Scheutzen) powder most of the time (also use Pinnacle and T7 on occasion). Grafs is only about 90 miles from me & I try to plan purchases around a trip that direction for something else. In fact I just picked up 15 pounds last Friday on my way home from Chicago.

I use it in 44-40, 45 Cowboy, 38 special, 12 ga and 10 ga shotgun shells, and all my C&Bs. Never had any adverse experiences with it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 31, 2014, 01:12 AM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Graf's house brand powder is very good. It is really Schuetzen with Graf's name on the container. I use Schuetzen all the time. Cleaner burning than Goex.
Old December 31, 2014, 01:37 AM   #6
swathdiver

Graf's is good stuff but I like the greater smoke and power of Olde Eynsford now.

PowderInc is the better choice economically once you get to 10lbs or more.
Old December 31, 2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Nope never have bought B/P from Graf's. Or for that matter over the State Line from anyone. Where I'm situated. Track of the Wolf is a 20-min Interstate drive for me and Cabelas is right smack in-between on the way. If one store didn't have it the other did. Than again I don't plan on buying store bought B/P anymore. Haven't had a need too for about 6-7 months now.
Old January 2, 2015, 04:22 AM   #8
Model12Win

I drive by Graf's all the time, it's not too far off I-70.

I order ahead of time and pick up at the warehouse. Super convenient, super cheap, no hazmat fees and MUCH, MUCH less expensive than the price gouging at Bass Pro. Those crooks want upwards of $25 for a can of GOEX.

Graf's has them for what, $15-$16?? Yeah it's Grafs for me when I need powder!
Old January 2, 2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Trum4n1208

I know most places have around a 5 pound minimum for powder orders, is Grafs the same? I can't recall.

Last edited by Trum4n1208; January 2, 2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old January 2, 2015, 07:12 PM   #10
swathdiver

The nice thing about Graf's for those of us who do not live near a local supply is that one can order 1lb to 25lbs in any type desired.

Price wise, Graf's is the better deal until you get to a 10lb order but then again you have more flexibility in which cans you can order.
Old January 3, 2015, 03:13 PM   #11
MIOkie

"I order ahead of time and pick up at the warehouse. Super convenient, super cheap, no hazmat fees and MUCH, MUCH less expensive than the price gouging at Bass Pro. Those crooks want upwards of $25 for a can of GOEX."

I hear you, Model12Win.

That's IF you can convince the "sales associate" that they actually do have it in the back, like the sign says.

Sometimes I think Bass Pro looks upon us BP folks as second class citizens.
Old January 3, 2015, 03:35 PM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
Price wise, Graf's is the better deal until you get to a 10lb order but then again you have more flexibility in which cans you can order.
Powderinc will let you mix them up any way you want and hazmat is figured in the price.
Old January 3, 2015, 10:46 PM   #13
Model12Win

Quote:
"I order ahead of time and pick up at the warehouse. Super convenient, super cheap, no hazmat fees and MUCH, MUCH less expensive than the price gouging at Bass Pro. Those crooks want upwards of $25 for a can of GOEX."

I hear you, Model12Win.

That's IF you can convince the "sales associate" that they actually do have it in the back, like the sign says.

Sometimes I think Bass Pro looks upon us BP folks as second class citizens.
I know exactly what you mean!

The first (and LAST) time I bought a can of GOEX from Bass Pro it was ridiculous. Had to get the one person who could go back there and get it, took about 20 minutes. Once she came she asked to see my driver's license and she said she was pretty sure she couldn't sell it to me unless I had a FOID. I live in KS but have an IL DL, this store was in MO. I sure as heck did have a FOID.

So then she goes back and gets a can. After tax it was approaching $30. I was mad... but bought it anyway due to a lack of availability anywhere else (this was before I found out Grafs was in MO). As I was walking away, one the clerks says "don't blow yourself up with that stuff" in a snide tone.

I knew then there had to be a better way. I will NEVER buy black powder from Bass Pro as long as I live, they are crooks and like you said for whatever reasons they don't seem to like the people they sell the powder to. Maybe it's to much of a hassle for them when there are cans of Pyrodex right on the shelves.

When I shoot black powder guns, I shoot black powder. It's the way they did it back in the day and it's the way I do it.
Old January 3, 2015, 11:44 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

The general attitude of sales associates - or whatever new fangled name they call themselves - is one reason why I don't buy anything from Bass Pro Shops stores. Another reason is their miniscule selection of BP products.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 4, 2015, 03:46 AM   #15
Model12Win

I agree fingers. If I HAVE to buy black powder stuff, Wal Mart or Cabelas generally has everything I need.

Usually though, I find it's more cost effective to use the internet and of course it's FAR easier to find EXACTLY what you're looking for on the net. I notice quite a few of the workers at Bass Pro really are just... there. Basically useless as far as knowledge about outdoor items etc. etc.

I LOVE shooting real Holy Black, but they don't make it easy to get ahold of these days. I'm blessed to not live far from Grafs. There is also a little gunshop back home in Illinois that's out in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking) and last time I checked they do sell GOEX and it isn't market up too bad. There are still gunshops that sell it, but due to the restrictions and storage needs involved most have found that they don't sell enough of it to cover said costs.

It's sad, but that's the way it is.