The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 3, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1
jwalker497

Trust Route for Suppressor

I was wondering if there is some PC Software to go about creating the trust in which to purchase NFA Items? knid of like the software that is used to create wills on your computer. If so I wold love to hear if there is such a program and if so how it went and which program worked for you.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Jermtheory

I havent used it yet but i have the Perfect Wills,Living Wills put out by Cosmi.I know others who have used it and the Quicken programs.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:05 AM   #3
JFettig

read all this, it is from a real law firm and shows how most of these trusts are invalid.
http://blog.princelaw.com/gun-trusts-blog
Jon
Old May 4, 2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Don H

Quote:
read all this, it is from a real law firm and shows how most of these trusts are invalid.
http://blog.princelaw.com/gun-trusts-blog
Jon
The linked article pertains to Trusts and C&R licenses, not acquisition of NFA items. The title of the article says it all: "Can a Gun (NFA) Trust be Issued a Curios and Relics License?"
Old May 4, 2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
The linked article pertains to Trusts and C&R licenses, not acquisition of NFA items.
Scroll down the page.

NRA Life Member
Old May 4, 2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Don H

Old May 5, 2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Jermtheory

It's not something i'm qualified to debate but...

I know alot of folks that have used these without any issue's to get their NFA items.

I'm not at all surprised at a law firm telling people "you need an attorney".Have you ever heard one say otherwise?For anything?I havent.

If you really want to CYA beyond all doubt...nothing wrong with that if you can afford it.

When i'm ready i feel confident i can handle the fairly straight forward process.Along with the help of my class III dealer who has a good deal of experience with the system.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:50 PM   #8
ActivShootr

From www.guntrustlawyer.com

"April 20, 2009
ATF and Invalid Quicken Trust - ATF approves INVALID Trust
Joshua Prince a 3rd year law student has written an article on the BATFE approving an invalid trust. Apparently an individual on Silencertalk.com received back two approved Form 1's and on the back of one of his forms it stated "Consult counsel w/ the filing of your trust, proves to be invalid"

There have been several articles on why Quicken should not be used for creating a trust including an article by Mr. Prince which applies PA law to some factors I found as well as Using Quicken to prepare a trust: The good, the bad, and ugly!

Josh contemplates that while the trust is invalid no transfer can take place and the the assets in the trust could be subject to a forfeiture action and anyone in possession could be subject to criminal charges for invalidly being in possession of a Title II firearm without properly transferring the firearm.

This is not the first invalid Quicken and Legal Zoom trust that I have heard of. I have reviewed and modified many trusts that individuals have attempted to create on their own using canned software or generic forms. Many of these trusts do not achieve the desired results and almost half of the trusts I have reviewed are invalid because of technical flaws contained within the trust.

Under these circumstances Mr. Prince and I both would recommend that no transfer Form 1 or Form 4 take place to an invalid trust. Josh suggested and I would agree that the transfer should be voided, the trust amended to a valid state, and then the trust should reapply for the transfer properly.

If you have a trust that is being used for NFA purposes and you would like it reviewed for validity contact a Gun Trust Lawyer."