The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 4, 2011, 01:13 AM   #26
DBLAction454

i started out using the one eye....now both eyes open...eyes focused on front sight and target slightly blurred. never shot better in my life
Old May 4, 2011, 08:29 AM   #27
MLeake

I started out mostly squinting my left eye, and using my right, and that worked pretty well.

Then I read the various reasons why using both eyes is theoretically better, so I switched over.

Shooting right-handed, or with both hands on the weapon, it actually works very well.

I find that I shoot to the right, though, when I try using both eyes if shooting left-handed (weak hand for me). Left-handed, I still have to nearly shut one eye, but I've found that it's the right one that gets mostly closed. If I line up my left hand and left eye, I hit dead center.

Not sure if this is correctable (IE, if there's a way to train to use both eyes, when there is such a noticeable difference, for weak-hand shooting).
Old May 5, 2011, 05:27 PM   #28
BombthePeasants

After having read the contents of this post, and especially reading Kraigwy's response, I went to the range today to practice leaving my off-eye open. I must say, it made a HUGE difference in my shooting, and from now on, I will always keep it open. My eyes weren't fatigued afterwards, the one thing I hated most about going and shooting a bunch. i will practice this from now on. Thanks guys.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:30 AM   #29
bitttorrrent

i know old thread - but i think i have been doing one since i was on a rifle shooting team when a kid.

now i want to do both eyes open for handgun target etc. it was hard - i was all over the place yesterday at range.

i think i am right hand - left eye dominant. so i can ignore the other gun image and focus on front site - but what about the target. i swear i was seeing two targets and was getting my aim so off - frustrating - i think i just need to practice dry fire at home.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:33 PM   #30
FlashBack

Still working on keeping both eyes open myself...newbie to the handgun world...I find myself reverting back to one-eyed every so often.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:29 PM   #31
Marquezj16

I also started out with one eye shut. Ever since I shot with red dots on M4 I started using both eyes open with pistols and other iron sights. My eyes are not so fatigued after a day of shooting. I am trying to apply it also with scopes. It's a little harder to do. Oh I am right handed but left eye dominant. Don't know if that makes a difference shooting with both eyes open.