The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2001, 12:39 PM   #1
sb7979

I think I'm gonna buy a chrono. Anyone have any opinions on what is good and what is bad? Thanks.

Scott
Old March 19, 2001, 02:21 PM   #2
Cheapo

I've used both the CED long-box and the P.A.C.T. mount-the-skyscreens-on-your-own-pole units. Both are good. I prefer the P.A.C.T. because of the enhanced statistics generation and the really neat printout module (requires an HP printer (uses cash-register type thermal tape) with an infrared data pickup port).

Spend some extra money, and your P.A.C.T. will also be a shot timer. Or is it the timer will be a chrono? Whatever.
Old March 20, 2001, 01:04 AM   #3
Charmedlyfe

I wouldn't waste money on the PACT if you plan on using it in the field. The case isn't very sturdy, and the jacks on the one with the ballistic computer feel like they will break when you plug in the jacks.

I prefer the CED, especially with the IR upgrade (can be added later). The CED w/IR will work regardless of atmospheric conditions, and is extremely accurate. Doesn't matter how much ambient light is around. MUCH more reliable. CED is about $160, and the IR upgrade is about $80. It uses an IR port for a HP printer. I replaced my PACT chrono with the CED.
Old March 20, 2001, 01:18 AM   #4
bk40

I've been using an Oehler 35P for at least 10 years with complete sastifaction. You can upgrade to the printer (wich uses std paper, not thermal) at any time if money is tight.