The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 12, 2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Apone

My First Shotgun

I bought this Remington 870 at a local gun store so I could participate in a shotgun/pistol match with a shooting club. I had not fired a shotgun in about ten years and it showed, but I still had a good time.

It came with a black synthetic stock and forend, but I replaced them with the digital camo pieces that I purchased a few months ago.

Jonathan H.
Kingwood, TX

Old March 13, 2010, 01:25 AM   #2
zippy13

Good looking gun, except it might be mistaken for a couch potato 'cause it doesn't have any wear marks on the mag tube. You need to get a bunch of shells and start shucking that bad boy.
Old March 13, 2010, 03:31 AM   #3
olddrum1

So, Z13, is this what a spud gun looks like? Apone, whats a shotgun/pistol match entail and what type of pistole do you take along with you? How do you like the 870 so far?
Old March 13, 2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Apone

Quote:
Apone, what’s a shotgun/pistol match entail?
In this case a shotgun/pistol match consisted of 4 scenarios involving shooting from cover, moving from cover to cover, shooting through windows (plywood mockups) at targets outside, and transitioning to pistol at certain points in the scenarios. The targets were combinations of IDPA cardboard silhouettes and steel. Some targets moved, some were "hiding" behind non-hostiles. The course also involved a mix of ammunition: birdshot and slugs. If this interests you, search for an IDPA or IPSC club in your area.

Quote:
what type of pistol do you take along with you?
I used my SIG P229:

Quote:
How do you like the 870 so far?
I really like my 870 so far. I thought it was pretty cool until some guy put his $1500 Benelli M4 next to it. ROFL.