The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1
tjhands

"CLUNK" while operating my Lee press.

I have a Lee (Challenger, I think) single-stage press. When I am depriming/resizing my brass, regardless of caliber, it makes a loud "CLINK" sound about every 30 rounds or so. It's like it gets slightly stuck mid-way though. I'm always very careful to make sure the mouth of the brass is fed into the die before using pressure on the handle, so it's not that the brass isn't going in to the die. When I check the brass and the die afterwards, there's nothing apparently wrong at all. What is this noise?
Old June 16, 2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Lube your linkage and see if that helps.
Old June 16, 2005, 03:27 PM   #3
tjhands

Will try that, thanks.
Old June 16, 2005, 07:13 PM   #4
farmall

TJ, I had the same problem with my Lee Challenger, frame was cracked on side closest to the handle. Made CLINK noise for some reason, and resistance was from brass twisting inside die. Hope you don't find this on yours, but have seen on more than just mine. Andy