The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
IM_Lugger

Bullets seated on an angle, how bad?

I jut made a box of .44mag for the first time…and I noticed that a few bullets didn’t go in straight; they’re kinda sideways a little ( I can tell because of the groove is visible only on one side of the bullet only). Is it OK to shoot it?

I have another questions for you guys; is the maximum over all length crucial in a revolver? Most of my loads are around 1.65” Too long?

btw the loads are;

180gr xtp with 24-25gr of H110 and 180gr xtp with 15gr of HS-6
Old September 22, 2005, 10:13 PM   #2
Toney

I put them in with my practice ammo . On oal as long as the cylinder
turns
Old September 22, 2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I agree with Toney - put the slightly crooked rounds in your practice ammo. It shouldn't cause a problem if the out-of-line condition is slight. The forcing cone will straighten it out.

1.65" for the 180 XTP in a .44 Mag should be fine in most revolvers. As Toney said, be sure the cylinder revolves freely. You don't want it too long, though, even if it fits freely in the revolver. There may not be enough purchase on the bullet by the casing resulting in loose bullets, maybe to the extent that one falls out during heavy recoil. That's extremely rare, but possible with shorter bullets like the 180.
Old September 23, 2005, 08:20 AM   #4
IM_Lugger

thanks guys I was a little worried there

the gun is Raging Bull and it has planty of spase left (in a cylinder) when I loaded it.
Old September 23, 2005, 04:10 PM   #5
Russ5924

How did you do that have loaded a lot and have never seen that happen.Something has to be set up wrong some where??????????
Old September 23, 2005, 05:54 PM   #6
IM_Lugger

Quote:
How did you do that have loaded a lot and have never seen that happen
not sure what you mean that was my first time reloading
Quote:
I jut made a box of .44mag for the first time…
anyways just got back from the range; first I shot the 'normal' once they worked fine, so I desided to try the couple I asked about. the gun is still in one peice so I guess everything was fine

is is because of flare (too much or maybe not enough?)

Btw 24-25gr of H110 had a lot more muzzle flash and recoil than 15gr of HS-6 both loaded with 180gr HP/ XTP
Old September 25, 2005, 10:34 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

'flare'

As little as possible; desired result is a bullet that sits concentric and seats without peeling off material.