The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 2, 2013, 08:07 PM   #1
gytrbyte

nickel plated luger

got a 1920s commercial made luger. Its nickel plated with custom grips. Its chambered in 9mm. ive kinda developed a soft spot for WW1 and WW2 pistals that are nickel plated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luger1.jpg (112.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg luger2.jpg (153.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg luger,mauser.jpg (105.8 KB, 84 views)
Old March 2, 2013, 10:02 PM   #2
RJay

Once it's nickeled, you might as well have fun and enjoy it.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Luger looks like it was ground down to within an inch of its life, then plated (nickel? chrome?) and ugly plastic grips put on. No collector value at all, and not likely to bring much even as a shooter.

The Mauser looks like it had the same treatment, though it looks a little less heavily buffed. It, too, has lost almost all its value.

Jim
Old March 2, 2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Winchester_73

Quote:
ive kinda developed a soft spot for WW1 and WW2 pistals that are nickel plated.
In the long run that becomes more expensive than spending more money on original stuff initially. I understand though about soft spots, as I have a soft spot for high standard 22 auto pistols, and I don't meet many people that share that with me.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:46 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The trouble is that very few military pistols were nickel plated even in civilian versions, and I know of none that were plated in their issue versions. For obvious reasons, bright shiny pistols were not in favor with the military of any nation.

But after the two World Wars, American troops brought back tons of captured enemy guns and some of the veterans thought they would "improve" the weapons by having them nickel or chrome plated. This was done mostly to pistols, though I knew of one chrome-plated MP.40. Most of the plating was done to Lugers, which were seen as more valuable; P.38's were uniformly derided as "stamped out junk" and so escaped the plating fad.

From the perspective of 20-20 hindsight, plating often made a gun worth thousands into a gun worth $100 or so, but the returning soldiers apparently didn't see it that way. In fairness, most of the handguns sold in the U.S. before WWII were either normally nickel plated or plating was an option, so the idea of plating didn't create such a jarring note as it does today for some of us.

Jim
Old March 3, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6
PetahW

Yep, Nickel plating was once looked upon as a "deluxe" feature, which decidedly adds collector value when it's factory original.

Why unknowledgeable folks, back in the day, thought the aftermarket plating was an upgrade to their "trophy".

Old March 3, 2013, 02:56 PM   #7
gytrbyte

i know being nickel plated destorys the value of the gun, but at the same time i think it adds to the want of the guns. i take my mauser to gunshows and am always turning down offers on the gun. I have to agree with Winchester 73 any of these two pistals are way to expensive for me to afford in orginal condition. orginals are being bought up fast and sold high. i paid 1000 for each gun and they were the only ones in my price range. im happy with the two guns and yes the grips are ulgy wood grips. they'er going to go black or orginal brown here soon.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Gebirg

nickled?

I ask myself, why?
If you enjoy it, ok - not my taste at all but i can understand that sombody thinks that nickled gun is just something.
For you yes, and for your personal value ok, collector value like cero

enjoy your german guns