The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1
psycho nut

Sooo, revolvers are nonexistent too?

I was all excited! I got my taxes back and had my money in hand. I walked down to the gunshop to purchase a nice, new .357 and than reality slapped the crap out of me.

First choice, Ruger GP-161, nope. Second, S&W 586, nope. They had a slightly engraved 686 that they wanted $1,200 for, nope. Next few places were all the same and all of the auction sites want $100+ over msrp. So now I'm on a couple 'in stock notification' lists and am waiting patiently.

I was surprised, I would have bet money that revolvers would have been relatively unaffected by the rush. So much for that thought. So, T-minus whatever until I get my mitts on one. /complaining
Old February 19, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
mj246

I also thought that revolvers wouldn't be so scarce compared to semi-autos. However, as you have seen that is not the case at all. I too was recently looking for a new wheelie (Charter bulldog). I only found a handful, and only on auction sites, ALL retailers both online and in my city were out. Several were overpriced and only two or three were in my preferred finish and configuration. Luckily, with a little diligence I was able to pick one up from an auction for just a little over the "normal" going rate before the "troubles" started.

My suggestion is to keep perusing your favorite LGS(s), online retailers, and auction sites every few days or so until one comes up for a reasonable price. They are still out there. But just like with nearly any other gun right now, the numbers are ridiculously low and real perseverance will be required to find one that isn't being priced several hundred dollars more than it was three months ago. Good Luck!
Old February 19, 2013, 07:49 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

lols i think my 357mag is banned in NY
Old February 19, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Waspinator

Hi,

I was in a local store here in CT (Hoffman's) in early December looking for a shot gun. While I was there, I walked the store and seen case after case of revolvers. They had everything there.. all the "allocated" models that are so popular.. all there and in multiple numbers. I made a mental note to come back when I was ready to buy a revolver.

My co-worker went there about two weeks ago to shoot at the range. He was also looking for a semi-auto pistol. His dad was with him looking into revolvers. He told me the store was almost cleaned out and that there was only one case with revolvers in it and there was about, maybe, a dozen revolvers left in the store. He asked the sales person and he told my co-worker that the store had thousands of guns on back order and that some companies had already filled their quota for 2013 and were excepting no new orders.

So, looks like it will be a while yet before things get back to normal stock levels and prices.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Bob Wright

I have yet to see that here in Memphis. In fact, my dealer is well stocked with revolvers, mostly new. Across the street is a pawn shop that is literally loaded with revolvers of every kind. The pawn shop closest to me has a good, not great, selection of revolvers. But they have plastic guns and el cheapo autos in abundance. These the .25 Ravens and whatevers.

Bob Wright
Old February 19, 2013, 09:09 PM   #6
tomrkba

Shop online. You'll need to be patient. The right one will come your way.

You could always buy ammo
Old February 19, 2013, 09:14 PM   #7
MercyfulFate

Yep, not much has escaped the rush.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:48 PM   #8
DocHopper

Keep looking for new stores or stores you normally dont like. I have a store I normally dont like because they are over priced. This time I found a ruger service six 4 in for 400. I have a little known store that i go to has plenty of inventory. Look around the hunt is half the fun.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Crankgrinder

i know your in nebraska, theres a store here in wichita i went to just today that had 2 6"SS gp100 for 650$ i believe it was, quite a few 1911s and ar s for 999.00 on up.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:03 PM   #10
jimbob86

Cabela's in LaVista still had a few roundguns yesterday ..... not a whle lot of fodder for them, though, unless you handload ...... and even then, the pickings were pretty slim.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Bill56

If you're persistent, deals can be had on Gunbroker. I know cuz I just got one on a Model 28-2 about a week ago.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:23 AM   #12
Frasier

What part of Nebraska are you from? My local Scheels still has a decent selection of revolvers to be found, Guns Unlimited too. Both are in West Omaha. They had a new S&W Model 27 (Saving for a 1911, or I would have bought it on the spot) as well as the 586, and Ruger GP-100.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:26 AM   #13
psycho nut

I actually went to every place I could think of in town with the exception of a pawn shop that likes hot items. The only DA revolver I even saw was a 4' Taurus .22. I also check gunbroker once a day. Just a bunch of overpriced stuff so far. I found a guy locally with a 4' S&W 10 that wanted $425 for it and I've been having a really hard time not telling him I want it. I've waited long enough for what I want that I don't think a few more months with hurt.

I thought about seeing if cabelas or bass pro or any place in Omaha has what I'm looking for, but I almost never get down there. I might have to make some calls and plan a trip.

Edit: I'm in Norfolk. I think I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:38 AM   #14
kilimanjaro

Visited 2 LGS's today, saw a dozen or more S&W revolvers, .22 to .41 Magnum. Picked up a nice K22.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:41 AM   #15
9mm

Quote:
lols i think my 357mag is banned in NY
8 shot Taurus? lols at your state ;(
Old February 20, 2013, 12:42 AM   #16
9mm

Quote:
25 Ravens
Made in the 80's? and those junk boats still floating around. HOW!
Old February 20, 2013, 01:04 PM   #17
Ferretboy

Stores are picked over here in South West Washington too, but, a little poking around and dilligence, plus having a good relationship with the Mom and Pop shop owners tends to get me what I want. I can still find .38 snubbies and theres a single action .357 I am starting to drool over. Just may have to sell a few gun gathering dust to get one.... Pawn shops here are hit or miss but you can find absolute treasure if you keep looking.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Jayhawkhuntclub

I believe the problem is companies shifting production to black guns due to high demand. Less resources going into making wheel guns. As a result they are in low supply. On line dealers are very low on wheel guns (and most everything else, for that matter).
Old February 20, 2013, 04:09 PM   #19
psycho nut

Well crap. I just called the scheels, bass pro, and cabelas and no dice. Cabelas won't give out stock information over the phone and scheels and bass pro don't have any .357s. Hmmmm.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:16 PM   #20
BigJerm79

Agreed Jayhawk. Also, seems to be people grabbing whatever they can. I thought this one, for SURE, was exempt from the buying spree. My buddy's Dad went to order up a Super Blackhawk .44 mag 2 wks ago. Our FFL advised his distributor had 15 in stock and sent the link to order. Went to order the next day and then 0 in stock...15 SBHs gone over night. Then he found them in stock on Impact Guns and that was a cluster F...won't even get into it. Finally went to Bud's, placed his order, and all is well.

I'm not worried though. I'm buying his Redhawk that the SBH will be replacing. I KNOW that will be in stock for sure

J